+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application refused, can you appeal?

emaanabbas

Mar 31, 2014
I received ITA in May 2015 and was Nominated by Manitoba as i have close family there. However, Express entry refused my application because gave me 0 points for Adaptability where as my spouse has 5 siblings living in Canada. Is there any way to challenge the decision?

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do I understand right, you were the main applicant, claimed points for having family in Canada and got rejected because the people aren't your relatives, but your spouse's?

emaanabbas

Mar 31, 2014
This is correct and as per CIC website you are eligible to get 5 points for adaptability if you or your spouse have close relatives as per below:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=699&t=29.

you or your accompanying spouse have a qualifying relative in Canada (5 points)

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
okay.. but you get those points on the FSW grid, where you need to get at least 67 to qualify for FSW.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-factors.asp

Currently, there are no points going for relatives under the express entry grid.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/grid-crs.asp

So, did you submit proof of the relationship with your spouse's siblings? If you got refused on this point I can only assume they took those points away, making you ineligible for FSW and therefore having to decline your application.

StAnger

Nov 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
emaanabbas said:
I received ITA in May 2015 and was Nominated by Manitoba as i have close family there. However, Express entry refused my application because gave me 0 points for Adaptability where as my spouse has 5 siblings living in Canada. Is there any way to challenge the decision?
Lets break this down:
1. Did you receive 600 points for pnp?
2. Whats your score?
3. Were you refused post ITA or by Manitoba?

Reactions: shaizeik

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What evidence did you provide to show that your family members are currently living in Canada?

What evidence did you provide to prove that you are related to your family members in Canada?

Are all of your spouse's siblings living in Manitoba or only some?

emaanabbas

Mar 31, 2014
Yes i did
2. Whats your score?
I was refused by express entry post ITA, Manitoba already nominated my under Family Stream which is why i got 600 points.

emaanabbas

Mar 31, 2014
What evidence did you provide to show that your family members are currently living in Canada?

Express entry only asked a question about siblings in Canada and i answered that as "YES", 1st sub-question, Relationship? I selected "Brother / Sister" from drop-down. 2nd sub-question which province i selected "Manitoba".

What evidence did you provide to prove that you are related to your family members in Canada?

When i reviewed the application, there was no requirement of uploading the document against this information. However, all this information was given to MPNP which is why they nominated me.

Are all of your spouse's siblings living in Manitoba or only some?

3 siblings in Manitoba and 2 siblings in Ontario.

StAnger

Nov 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
emaanabbas said:
Yes i did
2. Whats your score?
I was refused by express entry post ITA, Manitoba already nominated my under Family Stream which is why i got 600 points.
Did you upload proof of relationship and proof of status documents?

StAnger

Nov 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
emaanabbas said:
No we did not, because there was no requirement under the document review in express entry.
Well if you say yes for relatives in canada, the checklist prompts for these documents. Did you take snapshots of the document checklist? If yes, than you can raise a CSE and request cic to reconsider as it was not your mistake since checklist did not prompt to you to upload the documents.

If however you decide to create a new profile and wait for next draw than you will have to get your nomination points transffered to the new profile.

EFK

Feb 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have said that you have relatives, then the document upload list asks for a document "proof of relationship". Most people confuse this and assume that they are asking for the proof between you and your spouse, but that has its own placeholder "certificate of marriage".. I hope you did not confuse this either...
Another placeholder asks for "Status in Canada"... not sure whether it specifically mentions "Status of relative"that is where you would be uploading your siblings' Canadian passports/PR.

If you did not have these 2, then definitely explain that to CSE...
If you confused them, then I would suggest to send a CSE as well as re-apply with a new EE profile and wait for the next ITA...then wait 60 days to see what happens with the CSE... I assume your Manitoba nomination still stands... and can be transferred to a new file?

Reactions: shaizeik

emaanabbas

Mar 31, 2014
Thank you for your help, i really appreciate that.

I did go through my profile and i don't see any option where i am asked for "Proof of Relationship" therefore no supporting document was submitted.

Sorry for stupid question but what is CSE?

If i end up creating a new Express Entry profile, does that mean i will have to do IELTs again? Because my IELTS has been expired during this time.

StAnger

Nov 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
emaanabbas said:
Thank you for your help, i really appreciate that.

I did go through my profile and i don't see any option where i am asked for "Proof of Relationship" therefore no supporting document was submitted.

Sorry for stupid question but what is CSE?

If i end up creating a new Express Entry profile, does that mean i will have to do IELTs again? Because my IELTS has been expired during this time.
CSE is case specific enquiry. You can find link on cic website. This will help you log an enquiry on your file.

You must have a valid ielts score card when creating an express entry profile. I think you will need a new one.

inproxima

Star Member
Feb 26, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@ emaanabbas

I'm sorry for the refusal. I hope you appeal and win. Could you please provide your timeline (AOR,further document request, DM and refusal letter)?