+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application outside of Canada

Thyobear

Dec 2, 2014
Hi everyone,

Recently there's been some stuff that's been going on back home. I currently live in China with my wife and newborn son. My son still doesn't have his citizenship (will apply soon) and my wife doesn't have her PR yet. We are planning on applying for the citizenship and temporary passport at the same time at the consulate in Chongqing and for my wife, we will send in our application once we have everything. Here's where I want clarification. A lot of friends back home are recommending us to do the application outside of the country (which we are) but does that require us to stay in China?

Is there any repurcusions for applying out of country and returning to Canada with my family while we await the process' completion? She has a TRV right now and since she does, my family (extended included) are telling me to go home. We are thinking that we send in our application (hopefully fully completed) and going home to wait for the process. When they approve it or want to correspond, we will return back to take care of it.

The second scenario is we go back home to Canada and do the application there but I've heard some nightmarish stories about people having to wait 2-3 years (still haven't gotten it) just to get their AIP (Approval in Process). Another thing I'm worried about is if we do do it back home in Canada, will my wife be able to leave the country while the application is being processed? For example, to go back home to visit relatives and such.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. This is all too complicated for one person to search Google so this place is the best place to go to find the answers we need.

mazleen

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
Malaysia
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15th Dec 2014
AOR Received.
AOR2: 16th March 2015
File Transfer...
9th March 2015.E-cas in process: 22nd August 2015
Med's Done....
8th Dec 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27th August 2015. DM : 27th August 2015.Passport sent:2nd Sept 2015
VISA ISSUED...
11th Sept 2015
LANDED..........
my flight is on 19th Nov 2015 :)
Thyobear said:
Hi everyone,

Recently there's been some stuff that's been going on back home. I currently live in China with my wife and newborn son. My son still doesn't have his citizenship (will apply soon) and my wife doesn't have her PR yet. We are planning on applying for the citizenship and temporary passport at the same time at the consulate in Chongqing and for my wife, we will send in our application once we have everything. Here's where I want clarification. A lot of friends back home are recommending us to do the application outside of the country (which we are) but does that require us to stay in China?

Is there any repurcusions for applying out of country and returning to Canada with my family while we await the process' completion? She has a TRV right now and since she does, my family (extended included) are telling me to go home. We are thinking that we send in our application (hopefully fully completed) and going home to wait for the process. When they approve it or want to correspond, we will return back to take care of it.

The second scenario is we go back home to Canada and do the application there but I've heard some nightmarish stories about people having to wait 2-3 years (still haven't gotten it) just to get their AIP (Approval in Process). Another thing I'm worried about is if we do do it back home in Canada, will my wife be able to leave the country while the application is being processed? For example, to go back home to visit relatives and such.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. This is all too complicated for one person to search Google so this place is the best place to go to find the answers we need.
Hi!

In my opinion, I think you guys should apply outland since it is faster. Since she has TRV, there shouldn't be an issue of her entering Canada. You can stay in Canada and send your application as outland but put Canadian address in the application. Just make sure you have everything you need to complete the application before you go so she doesn't have to go back to China to get it done. The downside is that you have to book returned ticket to convince CBSA that she is visiting. But you can always get a ticket that you can cancel and get a refund. Trust me, outland is way faster than inland. My visa office is Singapore and the waiting time is 29 months but I got mine in 9 months. She can stay in Canada for 6 months and then can apply for extension if she didn't get PR yet by then. Please read outland thread for China...you can get rough idea regarding the timeline from start to finish. Good luck!

Thyobear

Dec 2, 2014
Thanks for responding Mazleen.

Your response helps a lot. I am wondering, however, if I put a Canadian address, how does the correspondence go? I tried emailing the embassy in Beijing about our application and they said we have to send in our application to Mississauga, then the CIC will correspond with the embassy with anything regarding the application. Would this mean that the embassy would try to contact me (if I'm in Canada) from China?

And say, we do take this route, would it mean that if we hand in our application and there happens to be missing documents or they request more information that we would have to go back to China just to take care of it?

Sorry that these scenarios are just big if's but I want to avoid making a big mistake in how we approach this.

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. You can apply for outland in/outside Canada.

Inland- takes long, can not leave Canada (if she is rejected to re enter Canada, her application is canceled and she has to start from scratch again)

outland- takes shorter processing, can visit Canada and wait for PR in Canada. have to go back to China if she has to interview ( this happen when VO would have question about authenticity of your relationship )

2. you can put your Canadian address on the forms, but CIC/VO always emailed me and my husband (sponsor approval, requesting docs etc)
when she get approved PR, VO send her COPR(not email ) to your address (whether Chinese or Canada, make sure you have correct address)

if VO asks you more docs for your application, you do not have to go back to China, you can ask your friends/ family in China or can request Chinese embassy in Canada (if the docs have to obtain from China)

3. if you apply for outland and come to Canada, make sure she has round ticket and bring a proof of her outland application and tell CBSA you are visiting your family and she wanna stay in Canada till gets pr.

4. not sure when you go back to Canada, but it normally takes about 2 month to get sponsor approval. so if you would have an email that you are approved as sponsor, you can show the photocopy of email to CBSA .