+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

application for work permit while extension of visitor visa under process

solea05

Oct 18, 2011
Hi everyone. im a newbie in this forum and i would like to ask for your advise/thoughts..

im under visitor visa, arrived in Canada May 2011. I applied for extension of visa last month, since my status expires Nov. 12. I found an employer, lmo is expected to come out end of this month, and by then i plan to submit application of work permit in Seattle. When i called cic this morning about status of my extension for visitor visa, the agent said they are currently processing applications submitted May of this year and my application is expected to be reviewed after 120 days (which is more or less january of 2012) My question is can i apply for work permit pending the result of my application for extension? Im worried that Seattle Consulate would see me as 'out of status' since my extension application hasn't been finalized.

I hope someone can help me.
Big thanks in advance..

mitali

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
solea05 said:
Hi everyone. im a newbie in this forum and i would like to ask for your advise/thoughts..

im under visitor visa, arrived in Canada May 2011. I applied for extension of visa last month, since my status expires Nov. 12. I found an employer, lmo is expected to come out end of this month, and by then i plan to submit application of work permit in Seattle. When i called cic this morning about status of my extension for visitor visa, the agent said they are currently processing applications submitted May of this year and my application is expected to be reviewed after 120 days (which is more or less january of 2012) My question is can i apply for work permit pending the result of my application for extension? Im worried that Seattle Consulate would see me as 'out of status' since my extension application hasn't been finalized.

I hope someone can help me.
Big thanks in advance..
Yes, you could apply for Work permit (with positive LMO from employer) pending the result of the EXtension application.

When you apply for WP at Seattle, enclose all documents for the Extension status (which I believe is only the payment receipt) and explain the situation. You are in Implied status now and will not be out of status when you apply for WP.

Mitali