+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for work permit in New York must be sent in person?!

Purplebutterfly

Star Member
Nov 26, 2012
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
VAC-New York
NOC Code......
NOC Code 6474 LCP
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 12, 2013
Doc's Request.
Completely submitted on July 12, 2013
AOR Received.
July 15, 2013
IELTS Request
no IELTS required
File Transfer...
July 15, 2013
Med's Request
July 23, 2013
Med's Done....
Aug 3, 2013
Interview........
No interview required
Passport Req..
submitted along with other documents
VISA ISSUED...
September 12, 2013
LANDED..........
November 9, 2013
I read somewhere that the Consulate of Canada in NYC will open a Visa Application Center starting July 10.

Here is the post
A new VAC will be opening in New York City (NYC) on July 10, 2013. The VAC will be operated by Computer Sciences Canada (CSC) and will be located at:

1350 Avenue of the Americas, 2nd Floor
(6th Avenue @ W. 55th Street)
New York City

For anyone applying to the visa office in New York:

The VAC in NYC will accept:

temporary resident visa (visitor visa) applications
work permit applications
study permit applications (ONLY for those applying from Bermuda)
permanent resident travel document applications
As of July 10, these applications should be submitted in person or by mail through the VAC in NYC. The visa office in NYC will no longer accept mail-in applications and will only accept in-person submissions during limited hours. Details on the process for submitting an application will be provided shortly.

Study permit applications (except for anyone applying from Bermuda) should continue to be sent to the visa office in Los Angeles.

For anyone applying to the visa office in Los Angeles:

The visa office in Los Angeles will accept:

temporary resident visa (visitor visa) applications
study permit applications
permanent resident travel document applications
As of July 10, work permit applications should be submitted through the VAC in NYC. Further details on the process for submitting an application will also be provided shortly.

Remember, you can also apply for your visitor visa, study or work permit online.

We encourage you to apply online or through the VAC applications submitted directly to the visa office may take longer to process. By submitting an application through the VAC, you will be able to take advantage of the extended hours of service, online tracking of your application and the assurance that your application is complete and all the proper documentation is included. We are confident that this will lead to more efficient processing of your application. For more information on the services provided at VACs, please visit the CIC website.

I wonder if I can submit in person my work permit application under Live in Caregiver Program.

brahem

Jun 28, 2013
This is interesting, I have seen the same news, but no details yet how to apply etc. Does anyone know if this office actually started working?

brahem

Jun 28, 2013
I have found this info in a web article:

"To speed up processing, the department urged students, visitors or workers seeking temporary visas to apply online or at a visa application centre.

These centres are run by private operators who will review the paperwork to save time but must send applications to a visa office for any decisions. There are now 70 of these application centres in 49 countries with plans for 130 in 95 countries by next year."

I guess they figured they would pay a private company to check your documents and forward them to the actual visa officers for approval... so I don't think this makes any difference with respect to applying online, except if you want to make sure that you have all the right papers.

Purplebutterfly

Star Member
Nov 26, 2012
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
VAC-New York
NOC Code......
NOC Code 6474 LCP
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 12, 2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
July 15, 2013
IELTS Request
no IELTS required
File Transfer...
July 15, 2013
Med's Request
July 23, 2013
Med's Done....
Aug 3, 2013
Interview........
No interview required
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
September 12, 2013
LANDED..........
November 9, 2013
brahem said:
This is interesting, I have seen the same news, but no details yet how to apply etc. Does anyone know if this office actually started working?

Yep, i just did. I sent my application to them yesterday (July 12) for work permit. I hope they will speed up the process

brahem

Jun 28, 2013
Do you know is there any difference in processing speed if you submit through this office compared to the online application?

Purplebutterfly

Star Member
Nov 26, 2012
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
VAC-New York
NOC Code......
NOC Code 6474 LCP
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 12, 2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
July 15, 2013
IELTS Request
no IELTS required
File Transfer...
July 15, 2013
Med's Request
July 23, 2013
Med's Done....
Aug 3, 2013
Interview........
No interview required
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
September 12, 2013
LANDED..........
November 9, 2013
brahem said:
Do you know is there any difference in processing speed if you submit through this office compared to the online application?
Nobody knows yet if it's way faster than the Consulate since VAC is on it's first week of opening. Let's see in couple of months of we'll get a news I will let you guys know

cookie27

Star Member
Apr 16, 2013
Purplebutterfly said:
Yep, i just did. I sent my application to them yesterday (July 12) for work permit. I hope they will speed up the process
Hello Purplebutterfly,

I see that you already submitted your WP application. Did you include your original passport or just a copy? Also which forms did you use i.e. Additional Live In Careggiver form? NYC office does not have a Live-In Caregiver specific forms. Please help naman Kabayan.

Thanks!

Cookie

Purplebutterfly

Star Member
Nov 26, 2012
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
VAC-New York
NOC Code......
NOC Code 6474 LCP
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 12, 2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
July 15, 2013
IELTS Request
no IELTS required
File Transfer...
July 15, 2013
Med's Request
July 23, 2013
Med's Done....
Aug 3, 2013
Interview........
No interview required
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
September 12, 2013
LANDED..........
November 9, 2013
cookie27 said:
Hello Purplebutterfly,

I see that you already submitted your WP application. Did you include your original passport or just a copy? Also which forms did you use i.e. Additional Live In Careggiver form? NYC office does not have a Live-In Caregiver specific forms. Please help naman Kabayan.

Thanks!

Cookie

Well there is no such thing as LCP form. You may use the same form as to work permit form since we are applying for a work permit too. And Yes I submitted my passport along with the other documents. Consular office in New York doesn't accept applicants anymore, they will advise you to submit to the newly opened VAC in person or by mail. Hope this helps

cookie27

Star Member
Apr 16, 2013
Purplebutterfly said:
Well there is no such thing as LCP form. You may use the same form as to work permit form since we are applying for a work permit too. And Yes I submitted my passport along with the other documents. Consular office in New York doesn't accept applicants anymore, they will advise you to submit to the newly opened VAC in person or by mail. Hope this helps
Thank you for your swift reply :). May I also ask....did the VAC office review your documents before accepting them? Did they require you to submit your original passport or there is an option that a photocopy will do?

Thank you again and God bless.

cookie27

Star Member
Apr 16, 2013
Purplebutterfly,

In addition to my above queries....what made you choose the VAC office over the online application? Would you have an idea if a visitor in the U.S. can apply online?

Thanks!

Purplebutterfly

Star Member
Nov 26, 2012
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
VAC-New York
NOC Code......
NOC Code 6474 LCP
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 12, 2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
July 15, 2013
IELTS Request
no IELTS required
File Transfer...
July 15, 2013
Med's Request
July 23, 2013
Med's Done....
Aug 3, 2013
Interview........
No interview required
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
September 12, 2013
LANDED..........
November 9, 2013
cookie27 said:
Thank you for your swift reply :). May I also ask....did the VAC office review your documents before accepting them? Did they require you to submit your original passport or there is an option that a photocopy will do?

Thank you again and God bless.
Yes they carefully checked each pages and yes it is stated in the checklist to submit (old and new) passport. Photocopy is not acceptable. They won't return my passport until i will get a medical request from them.

Purplebutterfly

Star Member
Nov 26, 2012
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
VAC-New York
NOC Code......
NOC Code 6474 LCP
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 12, 2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
July 15, 2013
IELTS Request
no IELTS required
File Transfer...
July 15, 2013
Med's Request
July 23, 2013
Med's Done....
Aug 3, 2013
Interview........
No interview required
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
September 12, 2013
LANDED..........
November 9, 2013
cookie27 said:
Purplebutterfly,

In addition to my above queries....what made you choose the VAC office over the online application? Would you have an idea if a visitor in the U.S. can apply online?

Thanks!
Since I have only option whether to mail my application or submit in person, I opted to hand in person becase I don't trust this mail thing especially when i need to include my passport. And on the form that you are filling up, there is a part where you need to write your current residency address and they are checking your legal status here in the US aside from my visa, i have shown some of the proofs that I am stating here for 2 years now

cookie27

Star Member
Apr 16, 2013
Purplebutterfly said:
Hi!

Reading back your post, did you mean you did not submit additional LCP forms? I thought you were applying for a Live In caregiver? I believe LCP is processed differently from the normal WP. There were cases where some LCP applications were mistakenly processed as normal WP. NYC office does not have a dedicated LCP forms. I guess if you have no intention of applying for a permanent residence after 2 years, this would not be a problem. A person with WP processed under LCP category can automatically qualify/apply for permanent residence in Canada after working as Live-in Caregiver for at least 24 months (2 years).

lovekomikael

Feb 20, 2010
I hope you don't mind me opening this thread again. how did the application go? Did you you have to go to New york for the process or you just had to wait for them to mail the TRV and your passport back to you? I don't have US visa so it would be hard for me if they will ask me to go there.