+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Refugee Travel Document

pel2000

Jul 10, 2010
My application for a Refugee Travel Document was not approved at this time and Passport Canada has asked me to provide a written explanation of any extenuating circumstances which may have made it necessary to apply for a the Pakistani passport from Canada after my refugee claim.

Background

I am a Pakistani national and I had claimed refugee status in Canada back in 2005.
My application was approved and I was granted refugee status in Canada.
I applied to become PR in 2006. My application for PR is been AIP.
I always had my original passport with me and notice It was expiring in 2008. Without knowing the future circumstances; I renew my passport back in 2008 from Pakistani consulate in Toronto. I was given back my expired passport (since it had a valid visa) with a new passport for 5 years.

I've never travel outside Canada since 2005.

Fast Fwd to June 2010

I applied for Refugee Travel Document to passport Canada and sent both of my passport of proof of identification. My application was not approved at this time and PC had asked me to provide a written explanation of any extenuating circumstances which may have made it necessary to apply for a the Pakistani passport from Canada.

I have no explanation except I had no idea that renewing my Pakistani passport may prevent PC to issue me a Refugee Travel Document in near future. If I knew that I would have never renewed my passport! I have not been to Pakistan ever since I've claimed refugee status nor I have any intentions to go there. I want to travel to US.

PC has advised me that my application will be reviewed upon receipt of my written explanation.

Can any one from this forum comment or provide any helpful feedback in this regard?

I would like to know what are my chances to obtain a RTD? Do I have to involve a professional immigration lawyer or any immigration consultant for a successful outcome of my application?

Is my explanation enough that I was not aware of that; if I renew my Pakistani passport from Canada it can prevent PC to issue me Refugee Travel Document. I have not thought that it will take 5 years (still in process at Scarborough office) for me to land and obtain PR. I still have no idea how long it will take before I get landed.

Here is my time line if any one is interested to know.

Received application for permanent residence on August 2, 2006.
We started processing your application on September 21, 2006.
Medical results have been received.
A decision has been made and you will be contacted.
We transferred your application to the Scarborough office on April 16, 2008.
The Scarborough office may contact you.

me2land

Aug 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's always a big NO to apply or renew anything from the government that you are seeking refugee/asylum from. You should have never applied to renew your passport. This whole thing put the validity of your refugee case into question. You probably need a good immigration lawyer to help you explain why you applied for the passport renewal and why was it granted. Good luck.

¬m2l

pel2000

Jul 10, 2010
ignorance is bliss

My only explanation is that I had no idea that renewing my passport can raise questionable concerns...

I am going to see a consultant soon and hoping for a positive outcome of my application once I sent the required information to PC.

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
OK I am a little bit ignorant here about refugee facts....so can you help me out.

As I understand, being a refugee means you have fled from a Country that is in fact dangerous to your life. That if you should return to that said Country you will be hurt, killed imprisoned etc.

So how an earth did you manage to obtain a new passport from a Country that is supposedly out to get you?

This has me very confused and I am sure that is probably one of the reasons your travel doc was not issued.

But if someone could enlighten me to what is required to be a refugee, I am willing to learn.