+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Parent Sponsorship returned, please help

navsingh01

Aug 1, 2014
I got accepted for the parent's sponsorship program and submitted my mother's application in December.

I have now received an update that additional information is required. IRCC has requested me (sponsor) to send additional documents to to show proof of relationship.
This is my dilemma:
My family moved to Kenya before I was born, so I was raised in Kenya, however, I maintained citizenship of India, and only had an Indian Passport before moving to Canada and was recently granted Canadian Citizenship.
The request from IRCC states that I need to send in my voter ID card, Aadhar Card and old school records. It also mentions that if I'm unable to provide this, I can provide the applicant's Ration card, my Indian passport, and PAN/Income tax card. My question is - I do not have any of these since I did not reside in India my entire life, so the only documentation I have is from Kenya and I do not have any school documents that list my parent's name as this was not required. I can still submit them as requested, however, I do not see the point as my parent's information is missing from them.
The only document I have that I can attach is my expired and renewed Indian Passport and birth certificate which shows my mother's name. Other than that I have no other documents.
Also since my mother was residing in Kenya, the only document that she has is her Aadhar card.

I would appreciate any help or insight to get about this and what I can submit to show proof.

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I got accepted for the parent's sponsorship program and submitted my mother's application in December.

I have now received an update that additional information is required. IRCC has requested me (sponsor) to send additional documents to to show proof of relationship.
This is my dilemma:
My family moved to Kenya before I was born, so I was raised in Kenya, however, I maintained citizenship of India, and only had an Indian Passport before moving to Canada and was recently granted Canadian Citizenship.
The request from IRCC states that I need to send in my voter ID card, Aadhar Card and old school records. It also mentions that if I'm unable to provide this, I can provide the applicant's Ration card, my Indian passport, and PAN/Income tax card. My question is - I do not have any of these since I did not reside in India my entire life, so the only documentation I have is from Kenya and I do not have any school documents that list my parent's name as this was not required. I can still submit them as requested, however, I do not see the point as my parent's information is missing from them.
The only document I have that I can attach is my expired and renewed Indian Passport and birth certificate which shows my mother's name. Other than that I have no other documents.
Also since my mother was residing in Kenya, the only document that she has is her Aadhar card.

I would appreciate any help or insight to get about this and what I can submit to show proof.
What IRCC requested were typical documents that Indian citizens have.

You are sure in a different situation. So provide them with what you have and write a letter of explanation. Worst case, they could request for DNA test (which is not usually requested) or they will just accept whatever you have provided them.