+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for OPW after online sponsorship application

Sii

May 14, 2020
Hi everyone!

I'm the principle applicant and my partner and I have just submitted the online application for PR common-law/spousal class (inland). It was many hours of paperwork but hooray it is done!

There is an opportunity for me to apply for an Open Work Permit (OPW) while awaiting the outcome for PR. I understand in cases where paper applications are submitted, the forms and documents for OPW are appended together with the rest of the forms for PR application. For online applications, does the option to apply for OPW online become available only after AOR is received? I'm asking because I've created an account, i'm signed in, yet I'm having a hard time trying to find out where and how to initiate this application for OPW.

I have seen the instructions on this page (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/apply.html). Followed them and know i'm definitely eligible, but i find myself going around in circles finding out HOW and WHERE to initiate the application online.

Does anyone have a clue?

Thanks in advance!

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
Login
Under start an application
Click apply to come to Canada
The click visitor visa, study and/or work permit
If you answer the questions correctly you will reach the Open Work Permit

Some important instructions below, but full instructions here:https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5553-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada-worker.html

How to fill out the application form
  • When they fill out the work permit application form, enter the following details in the “Details of intended work in Canada” section:
    • Box 1: What type of work permit are you applying for?
      • Select “Open Work Permit.”
    • Box 4: Job title and Brief description of duties
      • Enter “SCLPC OWP” in the Job title box.
      • Enter “Spouse and common-law partner in Canada pilot program” in the Brief description of duties box.
Upload their documents
  • In the “Client information” part of the document checklist, upload
    • the acknowledgement of receipt that shows that the PR application is complete.
  • In the Family Information form (IMM 5707) part of the document checklist, upload
    • the Family Information form, and
    • your marriage licence/certificate or Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union (IMM 5409).How to fill out the application form
      • When they fill out the work permit application form, enter the following details in the “Details of intended work in Canada” section:
          • Enter “Spouse and common-law partner in Canada pilot program” in the Brief description of duties box.
    • Upload their documents
        • the acknowledgement of receipt that shows that the PR application is complete.
      • In the Family Information form (IMM 5707) part of the document checklist, upload
        • your marriage licence/certificate or Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union (IMM 5409).

Sii

May 14, 2020
Thank you! I wasn't able to get to the page earlier as i had tried multiple permutations of answering the questions, but it never led me to the Open Work Permit option at all. Gave it another shot and finally got it!

I've another question - i'm seeing in my summary of fees that cost of Biometrics is included. I've already paid for that when I submitted my application for Sponsorship. Is there a way to "opt out" or indicate that it's already been paid for?

Rhea Jose

Mar 15, 2020
Login
Under start an application
Click apply to come to Canada
The click visitor visa, study and/or work permit
If you answer the questions correctly you will reach the Open Work Permit

Some important instructions below, but full instructions here:https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5553-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada-worker.html

How to fill out the application form
Upload their documents
    • your marriage licence/certificate or Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union (IMM 5409).How to fill out the application form
    • Upload their documents
        • your marriage licence/certificate or Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union (IMM 5409).
Hi, thank you for this info! But when I reach the owp application forms, IMM 5707 doesn't show up at all. Instead form 5257 shows up. Does that mean it is the incorrect checklist? Any insights would help. TIA