+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Citizinship

can1da

Dec 9, 2009
Hi all,

In my circumstances, I suppose to avail last 2 out of 5 years (to maintain PR status) of the first PR card time. My query is: Is it possible to apply for citizenship after getting second PR card and have lived 1 more year to fulfill the requirement (3 out of last 4 years).

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, your PR card periods have nothing to do with your citizenship residency requirements. All you need to apply for citizenship is 1095 days in Canada in the previous 4 years before you apply, regardless of when your PR card expired or was renewed during that time. Keep in mind that it's better to apply with a couple of extra days. You need 1095 days on the day before you sign your citizenship application.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
Yes, your PR card periods have nothing to do with your citizenship residency requirements. All you need to apply for citizenship is 1095 days in Canada in the previous 4 years before you apply, regardless of when your PR card expired or was renewed during that time. Keep in mind that it's better to apply with a couple of extra days. You need 1095 days on the day before you sign your citizenship application.
So Leon will they go by the postage date or the application date?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need 1095 days the day before you sign (and date) your application. Then you put it in the post. You can cheat and date it into the future but if it gets to them faster than you thought and it is dated into the future when they get it, they will send it back to you. It is not worth having problems over a couple of days. Give yourself a few extra days to be sure, say 1100 days and then send in your application.