+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship for Adults, Question 6D

Jforce

Jun 21, 2017
Hi there,

As part of citizenship application the applicant is required to provide photocopies of the biographical pages of all passports and/or travel documents (valid and cancelled) for the six (6) year period immediately before the date of your application, or since you became a permanent resident, whichever is more recent.

In my case I don't have the older passport for travelling abroad as it expired last year and when I applied for a new one the consulate of my home country took the old one from me before giving the new one.

Did anybody face the same problem? How do I explain the situation to the immigration officer or can I provide other proof of staying in Canada for the required amount of days?

Thank you very much for your answers!

DrCaYeBh

Dec 17, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-07-2015
How do I explain the situation to the immigration officer or can I provide other proof of staying in Canada for the required amount of days?
On the application you have to write an explanation of why you don't have your old passports, I would think you're not the first/only one to apply from your country so they may already be familiar with your country's procedures, however it may be helpful if you can obtain a letter from your embassy/consulate that its there procedure to confiscate old passports when their citizens are issued a new one.
You can always show bank/credit card statements, phone bills, rental/property contracts, employment records, etc (none of these are guaranteed to prove your residence but may help) and the place for these I believe is during the interview if they ask for them.

I have a similar story about a missing document (not passport), when my family and I were to applying to immigrate here they needed my birth cert. I was born in country while my parents were working there (expats) during the move out of that country years later my parents lost my birth cert, so we went to the its embassy where we were living and they said they dont provide replacement certs for expats and that I have to go to back myself to get it replaced (getting a visit visa to that country is near impossible) so we contacted CIC and told them and they said they are aware of the regulations of that country and they just need a letter that says that and show that I have to tried to get it. Point is CIC is familiar with foreign laws regarding the documents they request, so do your best to show that its the case and there is no way for you to obtain it

Hope that helps

Last edited: