+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

wink

May 25, 2021
Dang. Ok. I will mentally prepare for an application return :( (Silver lining: since its online, re-applying is easier/cheaper than a paper one :) )

That said, what is confusing is:
  1. A degree, diploma, certificate or official transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program showing you studied in English or French, in Canada or abroad.
What does showing mean? Most degree certificates don't call out the medium, but are in English themselves. Does being in English count as showing?

What's even funnier is that attaching a letter from the institute only applies If the original document is in a different language (which mine isn't - it's in English, so the bullet point doesn't apply.)

And: many posts in this forum have mixed feedback on this topic - many folks had zero issues when submitting degree certificates in English that didn't mention the medium and I also found cases where some folks got their applications returned.
Maybe in the past someone submitted degree certificate along with a letter from the university (stating the medium of instruction) and from then on whoever submits just degree from that university is accepted? Just a wild guess.

Reactions: 8494193

Maybe in the past someone submitted degree certificate along with a letter from the university (stating the medium of instruction) and from then on whoever submits just degree from that university is accepted? Just a wild guess.
Quite possible. Some have submitted like that and some haven't and still got accepted. The data points are all over the place, lol. I just wish IRCC instructions were less broad than just saying "showing" :) (I've made a mental note to report back here as to what happens to this story :) )

Last edited by a moderator:

Quite possible. Some have submitted like that and some haven't and still got accepted. The data points are all over the place, lol. I just wish IRCC instructions were less broad than just saying "showing" :) (I've made a mental note to report back here as to what happens to this story :) )
Update to the story: I've requested for transcripts from the institutes and will ask IRCC to attach those to the application via the web form once I get them (the universities will add the medium details in them). I should be able to do this in the next few days, so hopefully the application will not get returned.

Rutherfords

Star Member
Sep 7, 2021
Hi everyone!

This is towards providing my Address History on the Citizenship Application:

When we first arrived in Canada, the 'address' that we provided to receive our PR Cards, SIN and provided to the CBSA(at the airport, when we landed) was my friend's address. We did this because we had no proper address to receive the PR Card yet. While we stayed at an Airbnb for those months. And Airbnbs are not the right place to receive the PR card, because of the temporary nature of the stay.

When I look here on the govt website: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html#5445E5

The website says that you are not allowed to provide a 'third party's' address to receive the PR card. But we needed to provide the friends address, because we moved around in Bnbs because of how hard it is to find a good place to rent in Toronto.

On the application; should I include my friend's address(even for a few days) where I received the PR Card in the post(but did not reside at), or not mention it, and keep my Airbnb address?

Would it makes things easier if we put in an letter of explanation about the postal address for the PR card?

I would appreciate your insights.

Reactions: eparker42

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi everyone!

This is towards providing my Address History on the Citizenship Application:

When we first arrived in Canada, the 'address' that we provided to receive our PR Cards, SIN and provided to the CBSA(at the airport, when we landed) was my friend's address. We did this because we had no proper address to receive the PR Card yet. While we stayed at an Airbnb for those months. And Airbnbs are not the right place to receive the PR card, because of the temporary nature of the stay.

When I look here on the govt website: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html#5445E5

The website says that you are not allowed to provide a 'third party's' address to receive the PR card. But we needed to provide the friends address, because we moved around in Bnbs because of how hard it is to find a good place to rent in Toronto.

On the application; should I include my friend's address(even for a few days) where I received the PR Card in the post(but did not reside at), or not mention it, and keep my Airbnb address?

Would it makes things easier if we put in an letter of explanation about the postal address for the PR card?

I would appreciate your insights.
I don't think this would present an issue. Just write down the addresses where you actually lived. If you didn't live in your friend's address you provided for PR card, then IMO, there is no need to mention that.

Rutherfords

Star Member
Sep 7, 2021
I don't think this would present an issue. Just write down the addresses where you actually lived. If you didn't live in your friend's address you provided for PR card, then IMO, there is no need to mention that.
Right, and that makes life easier also because I have proper receipts for that Airbnb to boot, in case needed?

I am also assuming that this must be a common scenario and many people who come on PR have a similar situation. And that this has not been a cause of concern when they've applied for the Citizenship...

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Right, and that makes life easier also because I have proper receipts for that Airbnb to boot, in case needed?

I am also assuming that this must be a common scenario and many people who come on PR have a similar situation. And that this has not been a cause of concern when they've applied for the Citizenship...
I was in the same situation myself. I provided an address when I landed as PR and that was my friend's address because I didn't have a permanent place to stay. I then found permanent place to stay after about a month or so but I left the mailing address as-is. I've never lived at my friend's place and I never provided that address on my citizenship application so yeah - I was in pretty much the exact situation.

Last edited:

Rutherfords

Star Member
Sep 7, 2021
I was in the same situation myself. I provided an address when I landed as PR and that was my friend's address because I didn't have a permanent place to stay. I then found permanent place to stay after about a month or so but I left the mailing address as-is. I've never lived at my friend's place and I never provided that address on my card so yeah - I was in pretty much the exact situation.
Thank you @rajkamalmohanram

Sorry, but I did not understand the part when you say: "I never provided that address on my card"

So you lived in a Bnb/hotel initially for a month, instead of the friend's PR card postal address?

And when you were filling the citizen application, you mentioned the Bnb/hotal address instead of your friend's address for that month?

Thanks again!

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thank you @rajkamalmohanram

Sorry, but I did not understand the part when you say: "I never provided that address on my card"

So you lived in a Bnb/hotel initially for a month, instead of the friend's PR card postal address?

And when you were filling the citizen application, you mentioned the Bnb/hotal address instead of your friend's address for that month?

Thanks again!
I'm sorry, that was a bad typo :p .

I meant to say "I never provided that address on my citizenship application because I never stayed at that address".

stepover

Star Member
Mar 26, 2017
Good day, I have several questions

1. Do I need to sign the Physical Presence Calculator printout?
2. Question 5, I have never used another name other than my name at birth; should I leave it blank or do I need to put my name at birth? I have read elsewhere that we should not leave the question blank but when I filled it with my name at birth I got an error message saying it cant be same as my current full name on the form.

Thanks

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
Good day, I have several questions

1. Do I need to sign the Physical Presence Calculator printout?

Thanks
When in doubt, guide helps

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html

To calculate how long you’ve been in Canada (your physical presence)
If you can’t use the online calculator, use our form: How to Calculate Physical Presence [CIT 0407] (PDF, 1.84 MB).
Double-check your calculations. Errors can delay the processing of your application.

You don’t have to sign or date your physical presence calculation (your printout of the Online Physical Presence Calculator or form CIT 0407).

stepover

Star Member
Mar 26, 2017
When in doubt, guide helps

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html

To calculate how long you’ve been in Canada (your physical presence)
If you can’t use the online calculator, use our form: How to Calculate Physical Presence [CIT 0407] (PDF, 1.84 MB).
Double-check your calculations. Errors can delay the processing of your application.

You don’t have to sign or date your physical presence calculation (your printout of the Online Physical Presence Calculator or form CIT 0407).
Thanks

stepover

Star Member
Mar 26, 2017
Another question, can I just update the form I filled for myself to complete that of other family members; and generate the barcode and print each time. To save time of filling addresses, etc on a new form all the time?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Another question, can I just update the form I filled for myself to complete that of other family members; and generate the barcode and print each time. To save time of filling addresses, etc on a new form all the time?
Yes you can, but save each file separately when you do that