+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

Re: Q14 "Have you ever held travel documents and/or passports..."

Does "travel documents" also imply visas inside the passports? Or do we list passports only?

(Related: I know to list visas under the immigration statuses questions, so this Q14 maybe only for passports, but wanted to confirm)

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Re: Q14 "Have you ever held travel documents and/or passports..."

Does "travel documents" also imply visas inside the passports? Or do we list passports only?

(Related: I know to list visas under the immigration statuses questions, so this Q14 maybe only for passports, but wanted to confirm)
Passports and Refugee travel documents only.

Reactions: 8494193

bunnienie88

Nov 5, 2018
Hi. I'm a bit confused with the physical presence calculation. Need help from the experts:

Date I arrived in Canada: 31 May 2017 (visitor visa)
*immediately after, I applied for spousal sponsorship for PR.
Issue Date of Work Visa: Sept 26 2017
Expiry Date of Work Visa: May 15 2019
*As advised by my lawyer, so I won't be overstaying as a visitor til I got my PR result.
PR Issue date: Jun 01 2018

I entered Date of application as 30 Sep 2021.

And this is what it says here:
"Please only list the periods of time you had authorized temporary resident or protected person status in Canada and the type of status you had between 2016-09-30 and 2018-05-31 and select Add Entry. Select Calculate when you have finished listing all periods of temporary residence."

Are my inputs correct?
FromToType
2017-May-312017-Sep-25Visitor
2017-Sep-262018-05-31Temporary Worker (work visa)
* No date inputs between Sept 30 2016 to May 30 2017.

Is my table correct?

Thanks a lot!

bunnienie88

Nov 5, 2018
Passports and Refugee travel documents only.
1.I would assume temporary work permit/visa from other countries are not considered as travel document? I have temporary work visa/permit from Singapore and Thailand.
2. Also, regarding passport photocopy, the travel stamps are not required, right? Just the biographical page only.

Thanks.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi. I'm a bit confused with the physical presence calculation. Need help from the experts:

*As advised by my lawyer, so I won't be overstaying as a visitor til I got my PR result.

"Please only list the periods of time you had authorized temporary resident or protected person status in Canada and the type of status you had between 2016-09-30 and 2018-05-31 and select Add Entry. Select Calculate when you have finished listing all periods of temporary residence."

Are my inputs correct?
FromToType

Is my table correct?

Thanks a lot!
From what I read above this looks the right.
But plz wait for senior members here to review your query and comment

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
1.I would assume temporary work permit/visa from other countries are not considered as travel document? I have temporary work visa/permit from Singapore and Thailand.
2. Also, regarding passport photocopy, the travel stamps are not required, right? Just the biographical page only.

Thanks.
1. No. My response in the previous post stands for Q14.
2. If you are submitting a paper application, you should submit a color copy of ALL the pages of ALL passports that were valid in the 5 year eligibility period. If you are submitting online application, then follow the instructions on the online application site (and I believe it still says biographical pages only).

I'd suggest you to read the Instruction guide.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015

Are my inputs correct?
FromToType

Is my table correct?

Thanks a lot!
Hmmm. That's weird - your entry appears to be correct.

Try this : Try entering "2018-05-30" as the "To" date for Temporary Worker Visa and see if it works. If that doesn't work, file a technical issue complaint with IRCC.

bunnienie88

Nov 5, 2018
Hmmm. That's weird - your entry appears to be correct.

Try this : Try entering "2018-05-30" as the "To" date for Temporary Worker Visa and see if it works. If that doesn't work, file a technical issue complaint with IRCC.
Thank you so much! It's working now!

I need your opinion/further clarification on the below:

Question 13.
Tell us if you have had immigration, permanent resident status and/or citizenship in any other country outside of Canada (e.g. your country of birth)

My eligibility period: (Sept 30 2016 to Sept 30 2021)

a. First of all, is this question encapsulating 5 year eligibility period? Or not?
b. If it isn't, do I need to list down my expired work permit/visa (was sent for short term business trip before Sep 2016 to Singapore and Thailand)?
The reason why I asked because in the form, under STATUS column, 'worker' is one of the choices. (wanted to show you screenshot but don't know how to do it here..)
c. Do I need to list down also all of my tourist visas? Same as item 2 under STATUS column, 'visitor' is one of the choices, But from the guide application, 'visitor' is not mentioned which made me confused.

Question 14.
Tell us if you have held passports or travel documents during your five (5) year eligibility period.

a. What do you consider a travel document? During my 5 year eligibility period, I have 1.) valid Canadian PR Card, 2.) Canadian Work Permit expired 3.) Canadian Tourist Visa expired 4.) Expired Schengen Visa and 5.) Valid US Tourist Visa. Are all of these 5 docs NOT included? Please advise. I could not get concrete definition of "travel document".
b. If passports only, I need to list down including my expired passport during my eligibility period?

Last edited:

1. No. My response in the previous post stands for Q14.
2. If you are submitting a paper application, you should submit a color copy of ALL the pages of ALL passports that were valid in the 5 year eligibility period. If you are submitting online application, then follow the instructions on the online application site (and I believe it still says biographical pages only).

I'd suggest you to read the Instruction guide.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html
I've finally decided to apply online - but I will be uploading all pages regardless (they have "optional other documents" field to upload other docs).

Thanks for your responses to all our questions!

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

Kzr2001

Aug 14, 2019
Hello dear members
I have a citizenship related question.

I am about to ask a major stupid question but please bear with me. Premise- I was a student from September 2007 to August 2015 on student visa. i went back to my home country for more than 4&half years. I landed back in Canada October end 2019 as a temporary visitor. I changed my status by flagpoling to PR status on December 24th 2019. I would be meeting '2 years' residency requirement on dec 24th 2021. I know that as a temporary resident, you can count each day stayed in CANADA as half a day towards Canadian Citizenship. Would I be able to apply for Canadian citizenship on 24th december 2021 because i think i would have got 3 years residency towards my citizenship by then->> by adding all temporary visit (half a day) residencies to my 2 year of PR physical residency.

Also, would immigration exempt me on compassionate grounds if i have permanent mental disability from strict residency rules? I have medical documents from 2014 that i have severe adhd.

please someone shed some light on this matter. thanks

Last edited:

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thank you so much! It's working now!

I need your opinion/further clarification on the below:

Question 13.
Tell us if you have had immigration, permanent resident status and/or citizenship in any other country outside of Canada (e.g. your country of birth)

My eligibility period: (Sept 30 2016 to Sept 30 2021)

a. First of all, is this question encapsulating 5 year eligibility period? Or not?

No. This is based on your entire life, right from birth.

b. If it isn't, do I need to list down my expired work permit/visa (was sent for short term business trip before Sep 2016 to Singapore and Thailand)?
The reason why I asked because in the form, under STATUS column, 'worker' is one of the choices. (wanted to show you screenshot but don't know how to do it here..)

For Q13, you'll have to list everything. Visitors visa, work permits, PR in other countries (other than Canada), your country of citizenship etc.

c. Do I need to list down also all of my tourist visas? Same as item 2 under STATUS column, 'visitor' is one of the choices, But from the guide application, 'visitor' is not mentioned which made me confused.

You have a drop down value called "Visitor". So YES.

Question 14.
Tell us if you have held passports or travel documents during your five (5) year eligibility period.

a. What do you consider a travel document? During my 5 year eligibility period, I have 1.) valid Canadian PR Card, 2.) Canadian Work Permit expired 3.) Canadian Tourist Visa expired 4.) Expired Schengen Visa and 5.) Valid US Tourist Visa. Are all of these 5 docs NOT included? Please advise. I could not get concrete definition of "travel document".
b. If passports only, I need to list down including my expired passport during my eligibility period?

I think I've already mentioned this before. This includes passports and refugee travel documents. If you are not a refugee, then just passports. And yes, you'll have to include the details of ALL the passports that were valid during your 5 year eligibility period.

All your visit visas, work permits etc should be listed in Q13. Not in Q14.

Canada_dream_2016

Jan 6, 2016
Hi Dear friends - I applied for Citizenship in September 2020 by paper and the new tracker shows "test completed" while all the other status, including background verification, are still "in-progress". My fingerprinting has been done recently.

Regarding Q13 (have you held immigration status in any other country), I had only shown Citizenship of home country (India) and didn't include US work visa details as I assumed it's asking details of "immigrant visas" only...! Now I realize I should have probably included H1 details also. Not sure how serious this could be...!

Is it advisable to send additional work visa details via IRCC webform at this stage? Did anyone face similar situation before in this forum?

Thanks in advance,

Kuchbhi

Jul 16, 2017
Perhaps I am overthinking this. The Instruction reads .

Make sure you

• sign the application form
  • date the form the day you sign it (don’t use a date in the past or future)

I validated and printed the forms on 1st Aug, with the date of 9th Aug. I will physically submit the paper application to Canada Post on 9th Aug. I assume thats ok, Or did everyone else validated and printed ON THE day mentioned in the application?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi Dear friends - I applied for Citizenship in September 2020 by paper and the new tracker shows "test completed" while all the other status, including background verification, are still "in-progress". My fingerprinting has been done recently.

Regarding Q13 (have you held immigration status in any other country), I had only shown Citizenship of home country (India) and didn't include US work visa details as I assumed it's asking details of "immigrant visas" only...! Now I realize I should have probably included H1 details also. Not sure how serious this could be...!

Is it advisable to send additional work visa details via IRCC webform at this stage? Did anyone face similar situation before in this forum?

Thanks in advance,
Well, if it were a work visa, then I would send that information, yes. I had a US visit visa and I did not include it in Q13 because at the time (September 2020) - neither the application form nor the instruction guide mentioned anything about visitor visas but declaring work visas was mandatory at the time AFAIK.

So, go ahead and send that information via webform. Apologize for forgetting to mention this information and politely request them to add this detail to your file.

Also, you can join the discussion in the September 2020 thread =>

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/september-2020-citizenship-applicants.700718/