+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

Troy2245

Aug 5, 2017
Hello Guys,

I have a question regarding Citizenship application.
In a scenario where I want to leave Canada for extended period after applying citizenship already last month,

At what point I need to be physically present inside Canada in the process?

a. Is it during taking a test?
b. Is it during oath
c. Both a and b

And it is safe to assume, I can travel outside Canada only after receiving AOR?
Thanks in advance

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello Guys,

I have a question regarding Citizenship application.
In a scenario where I want to leave Canada for extended period after applying citizenship already last month,

At what point I need to be physically present inside Canada in the process?

a. Is it during taking a test?
b. Is it during oath
c. Both a and b

And it is safe to assume, I can travel outside Canada only after receiving AOR?
Thanks in advance
You can leave Canada anytime after submitting the application. However, it is better to leave (but not mandatory) after AOR if you are submitting a paper application because if you get your application returned for being incomplete, you'll have to resubmit it.

Currently, IRCC is allowing applicants to take the test outside Canada. There were a few cases where the applicant was asked to reschedule but many people did take the test overseas.

Currently, there is no confirmed reports of oath outside Canada. So, it is likely that you'll have to be physically present in Canada for oath. You can email IRCC once you receive an oath invitation and follow the instructions they provide.

It is unclear what the rules are IF you get an interview (not everyone will receive an interview request). It is safe to assume you'll have to be physically present in Canada for interview since the rules aren't clear.

Needless to say, keep watch on your RO while you are outside Canada. You should still meet your residency obligations as a PR until you take the oath of citizenship.

Good luck!

Reactions: Troy2245

Troy2245

Aug 5, 2017
You can leave Canada anytime after submitting the application. However, it is better to leave (but not mandatory) after AOR if you are submitting a paper application because if you get your application returned for being incomplete, you'll have to resubmit it.

Currently, IRCC is allowing applicants to take the test outside Canada. There were a few cases where the applicant was asked to reschedule but many people did take the test overseas.

Currently, there is no confirmed reports of oath outside Canada. So, it is likely that you'll have to be physically present in Canada for oath. You can email IRCC once you receive an oath invitation and follow the instructions they provide.

It is unclear what the rules are IF you get an interview (not everyone will receive an interview request). It is safe to assume you'll have to be physically present in Canada for interview since the rules aren't clear.

Needless to say, keep watch on your RO while you are outside Canada. You should still meet your residency obligations as a PR until you take the oath of citizenship.

Good luck!
Thank you for the explanation! Gives me the whole perspective and what I need to be careful of.
Yeah I don't feel comfortable until I receive AOR atleast.
Let's see how it shapes up.

:)

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

nourmandy2

May 11, 2019
Hi ,
Just I am wandering how long does it take to get AOR and is there any way to know early if they receive the package or not rather than the courier tracking since there is no signature for receiving during covid?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi ,
Just I am wandering how long does it take to get AOR and is there any way to know early if they receive the package or not rather than the courier tracking since there is no signature for receiving during covid?
There's no way to confirm delivery other than from your courier tracking from what I know. AOR takes a few months to arrive (something like 3 - 4 months).

pedipbk

Jul 2, 2021
Hi,

Can I link the citizenship application to my online account? if so, do I still receive email if major updates happen to my application like test dates and ceremony or I have to check the online account every day?

thanks

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi,

Can I link the citizenship application to my online account? if so, do I still receive email if major updates happen to my application like test dates and ceremony or I have to check the online account every day?

thanks
What online account? There's only 2 places you can check for updates on your citizenship application.

New Citizenship status Dashboard
ECAS

There is no "linking" required for either of these. You will receive updates for all events on the first link I provided.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Reactions: pedipbk

iamronajane

Star Member
May 21, 2019
AOR Received.
02-12-2020
File Transfer...
17-12-2020
Med's Request
04-12-2020
Med's Done....
06-01-2021
Hi. I just printed out the online physical presence calculator result but I can't seem to find where to sign. Do you guys have an idea where to specifically sign it? Thanks!

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi. I just printed out the online physical presence calculator result but I can't seem to find where to sign. Do you guys have an idea where to specifically sign it? Thanks!
You don't have to sign the physical presence calculator anymore. That requirement has been removed.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step2

You don’t have to sign or date your physical presence calculation (your printout of the Online Physical Presence Calculator or form CIT 0407).

iamronajane

Star Member
May 21, 2019
AOR Received.
02-12-2020
File Transfer...
17-12-2020
Med's Request
04-12-2020
Med's Done....
06-01-2021
You don't have to sign the physical presence calculator anymore. That requirement has been removed.
Another questions though,

In question 9 (enter the to date from the calculator) - for example the date on my eligibility period is 2016-01-02 to 2021-01-01, is it correct that I entered the 2021-01-01 or should I enter 2021-01-02?

In question 14 (the box below that says "if you don't have travel document blahblah.....") for form CIT0002e - I am having an error whenever I start to hit the print form button as it says "the filled can't be empty" although I checked the YES as I have travel documents/passport. Will it be okay if I just put a dot(.) on the box or just N/A? The Validated box on the 1st page will go back to "No" when I leave it (question 14 box) empty.

In question 18 (Signature) - is it correct that the date should be 1 day after the eligibility period? For example, eligibility period is 2016-02-02, the date I should put on the signature date is 2016-02-03, right?

Lastly, I validated the form many times as I have corrections/modifications made. Will that be okay? Will it alter the barcodes every validation?

Thank you! :)

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Another questions though,

In question 9 (enter the to date from the calculator) - for example the date on my eligibility period is 2016-01-02 to 2021-01-01, is it correct that I entered the 2021-01-01 or should I enter 2021-01-02?

In question 14 (the box below that says "if you don't have travel document blahblah.....") for form CIT0002e - I am having an error whenever I start to hit the print form button as it says "the filled can't be empty" although I checked the YES as I have travel documents/passport. Will it be okay if I just put a dot(.) on the box or just N/A? The Validated box on the 1st page will go back to "No" when I leave it (question 14 box) empty.

In question 18 (Signature) - is it correct that the date should be 1 day after the eligibility period? For example, eligibility period is 2016-02-02, the date I should put on the signature date is 2016-02-03, right?

Lastly, I validated the form many times as I have corrections/modifications made. Will that be okay? Will it alter the barcodes every validation?

Thank you! :)
Q9 : I guess you can only enter "To" date from the physical presence calculator in the application form. The other date is calculated automatically. Enter the same "To" date as shown in the physical presence calculator.

Q14: That's weird. You can write "N/A" in that text box.

Q18: You should be eligible to apply for citizenship on the day BEFORE you sign the citizenship application. So, if you are signing the application today, put today's date. I think it is best to sign the application one day AFTER the "To" date on the physical presence calculator.

Not sure, I think it should be okay. When I submitted the applications, there application form was in an ancient format - no validation and no bar code.