+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
Thank you all! I will just take the CELPIP - General LS (Speaking and Listening) test from https://www.celpip.ca/ for my Citizenship test
Good luck! At least for IELTS General Training, the citizenship requirements are very low (4.0 and 4.5 out of 9.0) so if you're able to hold a basic conversation you should be good. Imagine it's the same for CELPIP.

Mischa90

Star Member
Jun 25, 2018
Hi all,

I have a few questions regarding the citizenship application and IRCC is not very helpful...

Some background:
I landed as a visitor (EU national) in July 2017, received my work permit the following year and then obtained my PR in Feb 2019. I haven't left Canada since I landed in 2017.

1) Do I need to provide police certificates from Canada?

2) Regarding the language proof, I have a post secondary degree from a university abroad where the instruction language was in English. Do I need to provide transcripts or just a letter from the university stating the instruction language was in English or both? do they require the originals or will a copy suffice?

3) Do I list my previous addresses and jobs from 2016-2017 before my arrival to Canada ?

If this is the wrong thread for these questions please let me know where I should post this instead.

Thank you and good luck everyone :)

comet271

Oct 28, 2017
Just noticed that IRCC has made a change in their instruction guide and they are now requesting colour photocopy of ALL passport pages. They have even updated the document checklist with this change. Earlier I remember IRCC only requested biographical pages and "colour" photocopy was not specifically mentioned. If anyone is planning to submit their application in the near future, it will be helpful to keep a note of this change.

GuyanaGirl

Jul 4, 2016
Visa Office......
Kitchener
App. Filed.......
July, 20th 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Just noticed that IRCC has made a change in their instruction guide and they are now requesting colour photocopy of ALL passport pages. They have even updated the document checklist with this change. Earlier I remember IRCC only requested biographical pages and "colour" photocopy was not specifically mentioned. If anyone is planning to submit their application in the near future, it will be helpful to keep a note of this change.
Oh good grief ! I wonder exactly when this change was made. I sent an application off earlier this week and up until the 21st when I downloaded and printed the checklist it didnt ask for those pages. I wonder if they will penalize applicants from this week that missed this update by a day or two.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Oh good grief ! I wonder exactly when this change was made. I sent an application off earlier this week and up until the 21st when I downloaded and printed the checklist it didnt ask for those pages. I wonder if they will penalize applicants from this week that missed this update by a day or two.
Looks like the page was last updated on 16th June, 2021.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thank you!

The page was last updated on 16th June.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step3

GuyanaGirl

Jul 4, 2016
Visa Office......
Kitchener
App. Filed.......
July, 20th 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Looks like the page was last updated on 16th June, 2021.
Oh how lovely :rolleyes:guess I will be expecting the application to be returned. Hopefully that will be sooner rather than later.
Best outcome here would be for them to just ask me to submit these pages during an interview as they have been doing up until the 16th.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
ing the citizenship application and IRCC is not very helpful...

Some background:
I landed as a visitor (EU national) in July 2017, received my work permit the following year and then obtained my PR in Feb 2019. I haven't left Canada since I landed in 2017.

1) Do I need to provide police certificates from Canada?

You will provide police certificates for countries OTHER THAN CANADA where you've spent more than 180 days continuously in the past 4 years. If you provided the PCC for your country of origin (the country where you were "residing"/"living" in immediately before establishing Permanent Residence in Canada) AND this period of stay falls within the last 4 years, you don't have to re-submit the PCC for that country for your citizenship application.

2) Regarding the language proof, I have a post secondary degree from a university abroad where the instruction language was in English. Do I need to provide transcripts or just a letter from the university stating the instruction language was in English or both? do they require the originals or will a copy suffice?

Check this. The proof can be your diploma/degree, transcripts or certificates. If you have your diploma and transcripts, then submit both.

3) Do I list my previous addresses and jobs from 2016-2017 before my arrival to Canada ?

You should provide all addresses for the 5 year eligibility period both inside and outside Canada.

If this is the wrong thread for these questions please let me know where I should post this instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mischa90

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
CITIZENSHIP INSTRUCTION GUIDE UPDATED WITH NEW REQUIREMENTS. NOW, YOU'LL HAVE TO SUBMIT ALL PAGES OF PASSPORT (COLOR COPIES) WITH YOUR CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION!

• colour photocopy of all pages (valid or expired) of your passport(s) or travel document(s) during your (5) year eligibility period, including the biographical page which includes: name, photo, date and place of birth, passport/travel document number, issue date and expiration date.
    • If you do not have these documents or there is missing time between the validity dates of the travel documents, provide an explanation in question 14 on the application form.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step3

Reactions: GuyanaGirl

nourmandy2

May 11, 2019
Hi folks,
Regarding question #11, in case of unemployment, what do we write in the employer field? Please note i have already put "unemployed" under the occupation field. ? Thanks

Troy2245

Aug 5, 2017
Wtf IRCC man! I sent out on 21st june and until then I did not see this update. So it cannot be true that they updated on 16th June 2021.
What's gonna happen now? Is there a way we can submit through web form?