+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
@rajkamalmohanram Hi, I applied for Canadian Citizenship and sent my documents yesterday. In the travel documents section, I only put the information of the passports which I had during the 5-year eligibility period. I had another passport before them which was not during my 5-year eligibility period. Did I make a mistake?
If your old passport was cancelled BEFORE your eligibility period started, then you've done the right thing.

EDIT : If your old passport was cancelled OR it expired before your eligibility period started...

Reactions: RJ2020

engray

Champion Member
Jul 20, 2018
Hi guys I need help with my application. The person that is telling me what to put in 2 sections (she works for a immigration services place), just doesn't make sense to me. So I got 2 questions:

1. Does the certificate for English for Academic Purposes (EAP) from college count as proof of English knowledge? The lady at the office says no.

2. What date should I put at the other passports section? The date it was issued which was 2010 or my date of birth? The lady at the office says my date of birth.

To give you more insight on the second question. My parents immigrated from Iraq to Greece in '97 and lost all of the documents they had. Then I was born in Greece, but I did not get my Greek citizenship. When I grew up in 2009 my parents went to get the Iraqi passports at the embassy. In 2010 the passports were issued.

Thanks in advance!
For second question, maybe she meant to declare your Iraqi citizenship in one of the sections. You should ask the person to clarify her instructions.

Reactions: RJ2020

Ahmadd

Sep 16, 2020
If you are Canadian citizen and your child is pr then yes you can apply under subsection 5(2), your child doesn't need to meet the physical presence requirement.
Yes im going to apply for my citizenship. I was not citizen at the time of his birth. He born outside canada and now waiting for his CoPR.

Rakit

Apr 2, 2018
rajkamalmohanram , thanks you are doing a great work ,
please one more question or advise , if we have a couple one over 55 yrs and the other less , is it better to do 02 separate applications (for the 55 yrs paper , and for the 2nd less 55 yrs an online one ), what do you think is it better or one paper family application for both if tow separate application is better with IRCC there will be no problem correct. Please any advise

GianniSlw

Feb 4, 2021
I was talking about the section 13 in the application for the second question.
"Do you currently, or have you ever held immigration or citizenship status in a country or territory other then Canada (this includes your country of birth)?"
I got confused with the passports section I'm sorry. So date of birth it is for section 13 in the "Complete details below:" part?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
rajkamalmohanram , thanks you are doing a great work ,
please one more question or advise , if we have a couple one over 55 yrs and the other less , is it better to do 02 separate applications (for the 55 yrs paper , and for the 2nd less 55 yrs an online one ), what do you think is it better or one paper family application for both if tow separate application is better with IRCC there will be no problem correct. Please any advise
You have to fill out 2 applications anyway (one for each member) - You CANNOT fill information for both people on the same application form.

I think what you meant to ask was if the application can be sent in the same envelope or not and the answer to that is it makes no difference if you send it in one envelope or 2. I would recommend that you send both applications in the same envelope and save on courier cost.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I was talking about the section 13 in the application for the second question.
"Do you currently, or have you ever held immigration or citizenship status in a country or territory other then Canada (this includes your country of birth)?"
I got confused with the passports section I'm sorry. So date of birth it is for section 13 in the "Complete details below:" part?
For Q13, the start date would be your DOB.

Reactions: GianniSlw

Gondal27

Star Member
Feb 1, 2020
One query please. Attending post secondary certificate program of English for Academic Purpose can be considered for English language citizenship application requirement?

Prashanth85

Star Member
Feb 14, 2015
Hi Everyone,

I am calculating physical presence for my wife. She came to canada in 2017 February and we are planning to apply citizenship on 10 feb,2017. The question is

Did you leave Canada between 2016-02-10 and 2021-02-09? Answer 'Yes' if you left Canada for any reason including vacation, work, business, family matters, school, illness, etc.

But my actually came to canada 2017-02-02? so what should be the answer? Do i need to mention before time as we are in our home country?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi Everyone,

I am calculating physical presence for my wife. She came to canada in 2017 February and we are planning to apply citizenship on 10 feb,2017. The question is

Did you leave Canada between 2016-02-10 and 2021-02-09? Answer 'Yes' if you left Canada for any reason including vacation, work, business, family matters, school, illness, etc.

But my actually came to canada 2017-02-02? so what should be the answer? Do i need to mention before time as we are in our home country?
The question asks if you left Canada. Leaving Canada doesn't include the trip she took from her home country to Canada AFAIK (this would be entering Canada)

If she never left Canada after she landed as a Permanent Resident, you can answer 'No' to this question AFAIK.

Prashanth85

Star Member
Feb 14, 2015
Hey @rajkamalmohanram

when entering the sites it says

"Applications received at our Case Processing Centre (CPC) in Sydney, NS March 1, 2021 or later must use forms from October 2020 or later (indicated on the lower left corner of the form). Application forms that are not up-to-date will be returned as incomplete. IRCC does not consider the date of signatures or mailing to be deciding factors. "

But i see only one form "
Application for Canadian Citizenship: Adults - Subsection 5(1) CIT 0002"

Please advise to which form we need to use ?