+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

Glory. A. O

Jan 21, 2021
Hi Guys,

I am planning to apply CITIZEN SHIP along with my wife and daughter. Both myself and my wife have completed more then 1095 days but my daughter who is 4 year old is yet to complete? Do minors also required to stay 1095 days? Please advise
Hi @Prashanth85 so far yoir daughter is applying alongside you and/or your wife, she is not required to meet the physical presence requirement. Ensure you are using the right application form for her CIT 0003.

Prashanth85

Star Member
Feb 14, 2015

Glory. A. O

Jan 21, 2021
Thank you @Glory. A. O

So myself and my wife should use
and for my daughter its
and each should be separate application package. Please correct me if am wrong - They can all be in one application package, but you may need to arrange separately i.e. arrange each person's application package and clip separately so that you have 3 separate packages but can send all together in one large envelope. By sending them together, CIC will TRY to process them together so that you all have the same timeliness.

Rakit

Apr 2, 2018
I'm not sure what it is you are asking exactly but if you are submitting a paper application, yes, it is much better to use the online physical presence calculator.

You can visit this link and click on 'If you are a new client, please Register.'

Once you register, you should be able to start the calculation there (and save it to the account you just created).

You might be able to add more than one calculation in one account (I believe you could but I haven't tried it).
thank you so much

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

Prashanth85

Star Member
Feb 14, 2015
LONG POST ALERT

Before getting married, I held a passport with validity March 2014 to March 2019.
After getting married, I did a change of name and got issued a new passport (new name, new passport number and new validity period). Validity of the new passport is August 2017 to August 2022. My old passport became invalid and was not returned to me (although I learnt much later that it should have been returned to me, but by then it was too late, I was already in Canada).
It was the new passport I used to apply for PR and land in Canada in 2018.
My eligibility period for Canadian citizenship application is February 10, 2016 to February 10, 2021.
For Q.14;
1) Do I need to include details of my old passport, knowing that I will not be able to provide the original (although I have a copy of the biodata page)? Will doing this also mean that I will need to give a reason why I no longer have it? Will my reason be acceptable?
OR
2) Should I omit the details of the old passport entirely, and say that I did not have a passport before August 2017?

I am sceptical about option 2 because in my PR application, although the old passport was not mentioned (there was no need for it to be as no question was asked about old travel documents), I included details of international travel that I used that passport for (there was a question on if I or any member of my family had done any international travel within the last 10 years). I do not know if any reference will be made to my PR application.

Please note that I am not trying to hide any fact, as I do not have anything to hide. I just want to avoid any unnecessaries (delays, uncertainties, additional working and stress).

All opinions and suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Hi.. i am also in similar situation. I realized that my old passport is lost. With my old passport after getting PR, i haven't travelled anywhere.. did you got any solution for this?

Prashanth85

Star Member
Feb 14, 2015
LONG POST ALERT

Before getting married, I held a passport with validity March 2014 to March 2019.
After getting married, I did a change of name and got issued a new passport (new name, new passport number and new validity period). Validity of the new passport is August 2017 to August 2022. My old passport became invalid and was not returned to me (although I learnt much later that it should have been returned to me, but by then it was too late, I was already in Canada).
It was the new passport I used to apply for PR and land in Canada in 2018.
My eligibility period for Canadian citizenship application is February 10, 2016 to February 10, 2021.
For Q.14;
1) Do I need to include details of my old passport, knowing that I will not be able to provide the original (although I have a copy of the biodata page)? Will doing this also mean that I will need to give a reason why I no longer have it? Will my reason be acceptable?
OR
2) Should I omit the details of the old passport entirely, and say that I did not have a passport before August 2017?

I am sceptical about option 2 because in my PR application, although the old passport was not mentioned (there was no need for it to be as no question was asked about old travel documents), I included details of international travel that I used that passport for (there was a question on if I or any member of my family had done any international travel within the last 10 years). I do not know if any reference will be made to my PR application.

Please note that I am not trying to hide any fact, as I do not have anything to hide. I just want to avoid any unnecessaries (delays, uncertainties, additional working and stress).

All opinions and suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.
@Glory. A. O

I am also in similar situation and what are you going to do? Did you got any opinion?

Ahmadd

Sep 16, 2020
Please guide me that dependent childrens under 5 years old who is born outside canada and at the time of birth his parents was not canadians so if his parents become citizens now when he is 2 years old and permanent resident of canada so can he apply for his citizenship on the basis of his parents under citizenship application subsection 5(2) which does not required 1095 days physical presence ??? OR this subsection 5(2) is only for those whose parents are canadians at the time of birth of child ??

Thank You

engray

Champion Member
Jul 20, 2018
Please guide me that dependent childrens under 5 years old who is born outside canada and at the time of birth his parents was not canadians so if his parents become citizens now when he is 2 years old and permanent resident of canada so can he apply for his citizenship on the basis of his parents under citizenship application subsection 5(2) which does not required 1095 days physical presence ??? OR this subsection 5(2) is only for those whose parents are canadians at the time of birth of child ??

Thank You
Are you applying for your child at the same time as you, or after?
1- https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-canadian-citizenship-minors.html
2- https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/citizenship-minors-subsection-5-11.html

Das67

Oct 19, 2019

Thank You
If you are Canadian citizen and your child is pr then yes you can apply under subsection 5(2), your child doesn't need to meet the physical presence requirement.

Reactions: Ahmadd

Glory. A. O

Jan 21, 2021
Hi.. i am also in similar situation. I realized that my old passport is lost. With my old passport after getting PR, i haven't travelled anywhere.. did you got any solution for this?
I called IRCC and was told to include a letter of explanation. In your case, getting a police report for the lost passport would help. Also, do you have copies of the biodata page and stamped pages of the old passport? Including these to the Letter of explanation would help too.

GianniSlw

Feb 4, 2021
Hi guys I need help with my application. The person that is telling me what to put in 2 sections (she works for a immigration services place), just doesn't make sense to me. So I got 2 questions:

1. Does the certificate for English for Academic Purposes (EAP) from college count as proof of English knowledge? The lady at the office says no.

2. What date should I put at the other passports section? The date it was issued which was 2010 or my date of birth? The lady at the office says my date of birth.

To give you more insight on the second question. My parents immigrated from Iraq to Greece in '97 and lost all of the documents they had. Then I was born in Greece, but I did not get my Greek citizenship. When I grew up in 2009 my parents went to get the Iraqi passports at the embassy. In 2010 the passports were issued.

Thanks in advance!

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi guys I need help with my application. The person that is telling me what to put in 2 sections (she works for a immigration services place), just doesn't make sense to me. So I got 2 questions:

1. Does the certificate for English for Academic Purposes (EAP) from college count as proof of English knowledge? The lady at the office says no.

Use this link to check if that credential is eligible. Answer questions you see on the screen and it'll let you know

2. What date should I put at the other passports section? The date it was issued which was 2010 or my date of birth? The lady at the office says my date of birth.

You should always print the date that is shown on the passport. I can't even begin to understand why she would ask you would put your DOB there. That is weird. You must provide the details of ALL passports that you held, valid and expired, during the 5 year edibility period. Was the passport that we are talking about valid for any time in the past 5 years from the date you signed your application?

To give you more insight on the second question. My parents immigrated from Iraq to Greece in '97 and lost all of the documents they had. Then I was born in Greece, but I did not get my Greek citizenship. When I grew up in 2009 my parents went to get the Iraqi passports at the embassy. In 2010 the passports were issued.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Reactions: GianniSlw

RJ2020

Oct 29, 2020
@rajkamalmohanram Hi, I applied for Canadian Citizenship and sent my documents yesterday. In the travel documents section, I only put the information of the passports which I had during the 5-year eligibility period. I had another passport before them which was not during my 5-year eligibility period. Did I make a mistake?