+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

GG_wife

Feb 9, 2015
Maybe someone can help me out here.

My birthname has an umlaut in it. It's an 'Ö' ( two dots on top of an o) , however my PR card has the English spelling equivalent 'OE'.
So my birthname is ' XXXXÖXX' and my PR card name is 'XXXXOEXX'

I apply for citizenship under name 'XXXXOEXX' since that is on my PR card and SIN etc.

As for question 5 I plan to put down only two names

1. ' XXXXÖXX' the one with umlaut for name of birth
2. my nickname

Is that correct or do I have to add the one with the English 'XXXXOEXX' spelling as well? Even though it is not different than my applicant name. My gut feeling is that I do not have to add, but just wanted to doublecheck.

If I do add the 'XXXXOEXX' spelling of my name to the list how do I explain this to CIC? There is no place for comment, Do I have to include a Letter of Explanation?

ahmed12

Star Member
Dec 19, 2008
Kindly check & Guide my scenario, I landed in June-2013 , went back to home country after 6 months stay their at home country for almost 2 years then come back and complete total residency obligation of 2 years, Then renew my PR and then just now about to complete 3 years in row for citizenship. doing a job and tax submitted. Do i need to mention my last 3 years stay or else fill all complete 6 to 7 years detail when apply for citizenship. please guide

vickyy

Nov 7, 2015
Maybe someone can help me out here.

My birthname has an umlaut in it. It's an 'Ö' ( two dots on top of an o) , however my PR card has the English spelling equivalent 'OE'.
So my birthname is ' XXXXÖXX' and my PR card name is 'XXXXOEXX'

I apply for citizenship under name 'XXXXOEXX' since that is on my PR card and SIN etc.

As for question 5 I plan to put down only two names

1. ' XXXXÖXX' the one with umlaut for name of birth
2. my nickname

Is that correct or do I have to add the one with the English 'XXXXOEXX' spelling as well? Even though it is not different than my applicant name. My gut feeling is that I do not have to add, but just wanted to doublecheck.

If I do add the 'XXXXOEXX' spelling of my name to the list how do I explain this to CIC? There is no place for comment, Do I have to include a Letter of Explanation?
Sorry I can't tell you 100% the correct answer,but I had some issue with names and signature, so I called IRCC, and they told me to write an explanation letter about my name and signature stuff. So I did that and included with my application form, I mean I have posted my question here and there, but there are so many different opinions and answers, so I decided to write the letter to just at least make myself feeling confident with my application.

I wouldnt add the OE name in 5, because that is typically saying YOUR name on the application.

GG_wife

Feb 9, 2015
Sorry I can't tell you 100% the correct answer,but I had some issue with names and signature, so I called IRCC, and they told me to write an explanation letter about my name and signature stuff. So I did that and included with my application form, I mean I have posted my question here and there, but there are so many different opinions and answers, so I decided to write the letter to just at least make myself feeling confident with my application.

I wouldnt add the OE name in 5, because that is typically saying YOUR name on the application.
thank you so much for the response. I looked around a bit on CIC website and found that the machine readable version of my name with the OE will be always considered the official version in Canada so yes, that's my name I guess :)

my parents have never thought that I might live outside of my birthplace and this name will cause such confusion lol

smoiz

Jul 18, 2009
I have a question regarding 2 Identification documents for Minor (1 document must have a photo).

I decided to submit these documents and I need your feedback about whether they will be considered or not.

1. First Page of Passport with Photo.
2. Ontario Health Card.

In case if you recommend something else please let me know.

Thanks

fakenoob

Sep 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi Changed to Colombo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17 Nov 2014
Doc's Request.
CC Charge 14 Jan 2015
Nomination.....
PER 5 Feb 2015
AOR Received.
19 March 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with the app
File Transfer...
19 March 2015
Med's Request
11 May 2015
Med's Done....
15 May 2015
Interview........
Waived Expected
Passport Req..
June-2015 Expected
VISA ISSUED...
July-2015 Expected
LANDED..........
Visiting in Oct-15 ,immigrating in April 2016 Planned
Hi Raj,

with regards to showing English proficiency. i completed my Masters degree in English from Delhi University. If i attach my masters transcripts. how does this sufficiently prove that the course was in English. the transcript is in English and courses were in English but from CIC's perspective how would they be certain that the course was in English. For me it is obvious because the course and module names are in English.

How about attachcing WES assessement copy as well.

The reason i am asking is i don't have a copy of my 6 years old IELTs results to attached. had i had that, it would be a lot easier.

expressimmigrant

Star Member
Jan 25, 2017
Kindly check & Guide my scenario, I landed in June-2013 , went back to home country after 6 months stay their at home country for almost 2 years then come back and complete total residency obligation of 2 years, Then renew my PR and then just now about to complete 3 years in row for citizenship. doing a job and tax submitted. Do i need to mention my last 3 years stay or else fill all complete 6 to 7 years detail when apply for citizenship. please guide
Go back five years from the date you are planning to sign your application on and that should be your eligibility period. You should fill out your application accordingly with all details during that eligibility period.

rp008

Oct 14, 2020
Hi,

Im doing my application, and having some trouble if you guys could please help.
Thanks for taking the time to read and your response is appreciated.

2016 was a very rocky year for me and had a few ups and down. I did not get my Pr at first attempt.

Immediately 5 years prior to date of application. few notes below and my question follows after.

- Oct/07/2015 - March/2016 ( Working as normal, Full-time, 3 yr - Post grad work permit came to an end) [counts as 1/2 day]
- I was under implied status from early March/2016 - May/06/2016 (post grad work permit expired) [ counts as 1/2 day]
- May/06/2016 - Work permit extension rejected., hence end of implied status.

After that, Restoration period:
- Applied for study permit: June/24/2016
- Study permit approved: July/21/2016 - July/07/2017 (for one year)
- Course/program dates: Aug/29/2016 – Nov/18/2016
- Finished program and exited Canada on Dec/04/2016

- Returned as PR: March/17/2018

My question is regarding:

The period between: May/07/2016 - July /20/2016 is what i'm concerned about, I was technically past my implied status when it expired on May/06/2016,
- I waited to apply, looking for alternatives, as it took time to decide what route to go.
- I technically had 90 days to wrap up and leave or become a student or visitor visa holder.
- Do I take this time period as physical days present and what category do i put it under, there's only 4 option, Student, visitor, worker or temp residence permit holder?

As of Oct/07/2020 - i am at 1017 days , if i do not include 74 days ( 37 days on physical presence calculator) Period of May/06/2016 - July/21/2016,
I was in Canada, but status was on edge**
If I do include those days, Im well over 1095 days. But not sure how to explain on the app....

UniqueCase

Jul 10, 2018
Hello everyone,

I have few questions for citizenship application:

1. My initial work permit expired in August 2016 and then I was working on implied status. I had applied for work permit renewal and received new permit in Nov. 2016 so I was on implied status for about 3 months. So, in application's employment section is it okay to mention that I was working while being in implied status?

2. In work permit section because there will be a gap of about 3 months in my expired work permit & new work permit, how to list it in temp. Status holder section?

3. Do we need to add a cover letter for citizenship application?

Thank you!

cat_woman

Star Member
Nov 1, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
15-06-2016
AOR Received.
09-12-2016
Med's Request
19-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
Interview........
Not Needed
Passport Req..
08-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-06-2017
LANDED..........
08-07-2017
Hi All, just an informative message. I had posted on here that I had mistakenly submitted my academic IELTS with my citizenship application in August. I submitted a case-specific inquiry twice with my correct documents submitted, once in September and again this month and both times I got a response that my information was verified but as my application was not in the system so it could not be forwarded to the correct department. And to resubmit them when my application is being processed and they will forward it to the correct department. Unfortunately, my application was returned incomplete yesterday to me. Attached to it was a letter stating it was returned incomplete due to language evidence being not acceptable due to it not being in the list of acceptable evidence. They said if I choose to request a refund of the fees paid then an Annex A page was also attached. I am choosing to resubmit my application obviously with the correct paperwork by tomorrow. Unfortunately, it will push back my process so much further but I guess can't be helped.

cat_woman

Star Member
Nov 1, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
15-06-2016
AOR Received.
09-12-2016
Med's Request
19-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
Interview........
Not Needed
Passport Req..
08-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-06-2017
LANDED..........
08-07-2017
Hi All, just an informative message. I had posted on here that I had mistakenly submitted my academic IELTS with my citizenship application in August. I submitted a case-specific inquiry twice with my correct documents submitted, once in September and again this month and both times I got a response that my information was verified but as my application was not in the system so it could not be forwarded to the correct department. And to resubmit them when my application is being processed and they will forward it to the correct department. Unfortunately, my application was returned incomplete yesterday to me. Attached to it was a letter stating it was returned incomplete due to language evidence being not acceptable due to it not being in the list of acceptable evidence. They said if I choose to request a refund of the fees paid then an Annex A page was also attached. I am choosing to resubmit my application obviously with the correct paperwork by tomorrow. Unfortunately, it will push back my process so much further but I guess can't be helped.
Also, my query was they said my fees were not taken but they as I said provided the 2nd page on how to request a refund. If I do not request a refund, does that mean when I resubmit my application and it is accurate they will take the fees then??? Because I have to add the proof of payment with this application package so then would I just resubmit the old one as I have not asked for a refund? Or do I request a refund and pay it again when I resubmit my application??
Also, a Note that was added to the letter was "the date of signature on the original application will still be used for the physical presence calculations" Does that mean I print out my citizenship application again but write the same dates for the application and physical presence calculation as with my original application? That is my understanding after reading it but I want to get advice as I want to get it right the 2nd time around with no mistakes.
@rajkamalmohanram your help would be greatly appreciated! I am really hoping to resubmit if not by tomorrow then this coming week.

arsal385

Oct 13, 2012
If you have degree or diploma either from Canada or Overseas, it will be acceptable as a language requirement provided that you can proof that you studied through the medium of English for example a letter from the institute specially if you studied from an overseas institute.

Reactions: cat_woman