+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

3shiro

Star Member
May 22, 2020
Hello. In July 15 my friend will complete his 1095 days staying in Canada to apply for citizenship but he must leave Canada for emergency reason, my question can he apply within just 1090 days or less, he really wants to apply but he needs to leave country in July 1, can Someone with experience help please, can he contacts someone working on the citizenship service and explain to them?

visa_4all

Jul 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello. In July 15 my friend will complete his 1095 days staying in Canada to apply for citizenship but he must leave Canada for emergency reason, my question can he apply within just 1090 days or less, he really wants to apply but he needs to leave country in July 1, can Someone with experience help please, can he contacts someone working on the citizenship service and explain to them?
AFAIK

He must stay in Canada for 1095 days in the last 5 years of eligibility period. Tell your friend to comeback and complete 1095 days of residency and then he can apply. And tell your friend to keep a buffer time of >30 days. Like 1120 days and then apply.

Application will definitely get returned if you apply with <1095 days.

Thanks

aaruhani

Star Member
Jan 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I did my soft landing 4 years ago in 2016 for my PR and gave my friends address for the PR card to be mailed. I stayed at that address for only 2 days and then went back to US. Then I came back to Canada for good in 2017. I am now eligible to apply for Citizenship but I have a question about the application Question 10 a) Please list all addresses inside and outside of Canada during entire five (5) year eligibility period. Start with the most recent. If there are any missing days or periods of time, your application will be returned to you.

In this question, do I need to provide the address that I gave for my PR card when I did my soft landing even though I was in Canada for 2 days only?

Sniperflutt

Star Member
Jun 2, 2020
Hi
First of all thank you so much for the very useful thread with all the detailed information & replies I have a question, When I am filling the nationality application there is the part where I have to mention all the countries I have been in during my time of absence from Canada, do I have to mention that In details? I mean if I was living for 3 years in the same country outside Canada but during these 3 years I have been traveling for vacations in other countries do I have to mention these information in details or it is OK only to list my main residence country?

visa_4all

Jul 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi
First of all thank you so much for the very useful thread with all the detailed information & replies I have a question, When I am filling the nationality application there is the part where I have to mention all the countries I have been in during my time of absence from Canada, do I have to mention that In details? I mean if I was living for 3 years in the same country outside Canada but during these 3 years I have been traveling for vacations in other countries do I have to mention these information in details or it is OK only to list my main residence country?

Eg: If you traveled to X country for 4 months. During those 4 months. You traveled to Y and Z. Mention Y and Z and their time period under the details.

Sniperflutt

Star Member
Jun 2, 2020
Eg: If you traveled to X country for 4 months. During those 4 months. You traveled to Y and Z. Mention Y and Z and their time period under the details.
Thank you for your reply. I was asking about question number 10 in the application. I am not sure where should I put the details you mentioned?

swapnil1984

Mar 6, 2017
Hello everyone,

I need some help calculating my physical presence in Canada for my Citizenship. I had following statuses in the last 5 years:

1. Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP)
2. W-1 Worker Category Visa
2. Permanent Residency (PR)

I tried calculating my physical presence on CIC website and got stuck at the question where they ask if you have any prior status in Canada. Following is my timeline:

1. My Post Graduate Work Permit was from 2014/07/07 to 2017/07/07
2. My W-1 Worker Visa was from 2014/11/20 to 2017/07/07
3. Applied for PR in March 2017.
4. CIC issued the Confirmation of Permanent Residency on 2017/06/20 but due to postage delays, I received the package along with my passport stamped with IM1 (Immigrant Category) visa after my PGWP was expired.
5. I did my landing on 2017/07/15. Thus, my PR Issued Date is 2017/07/15

Question 1: While calculating physical presence, do you think the 7 day gap would be considered as Implied Status ?
Question 2: In the Section where it says "Please only list the periods of time you had authorized temporary resident or protected person status in Canada and the type of status you had between 2015-06-23 and 2017-07-14 and select Add Entry. Select Calculate when you have finished listing all periods of temporary residence.", what dates should I specify in my scenario ? Would it be 2015-06-23 to 2017-07-14 or 2015-06-23 to 2017-07-07 ?

Question 3: Should I select Temporary Worker or Temporary Resident Permit Holder as the Type ?

Just to note, the calculator does say I'm eligible for applying for citizenship when I add 2015-06-23 to 2017-07-07.

I'd really appreciate your help.

Thanks everyone in advance,
Swapnil

Last edited:

HTD

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
Hi Guys , I have a question if anyone can help or direct me . I am trying to apply for Citizenship . I became PR in May 2017 . Now this is the situation , I came as a student back in 2012 and then studied for 2 years and got Work permit for 3 years until July 2016 , i applied for work permit extension but was declined extension in Oct 2016 . So , my Work permit / temporary resident status ended on Oct 2016. Now , when i was in 90 day restoration period , i was fortunate and i got invitation to apply and i filed my application for PR in Jan 2017 . Based on the application , i tried to restore my status on Work Permit , but sadly was declined again in Feb 2017 . And was told that i have no legal status in Canada and my status as temporary resident expired on Oct 2016 . And i have to leave Canada asap . So i left Canada in Feb 2017 and after leaving Canada i went back home , during that time my file was under process and was waiting for the final decision which was finalized in April 2017 and was granted PR . So since now , I am trying to apply for Citizenship , the physical calculator for Citizenship has a section which is asking me if i was temporary resident status i.e ( Student, worker or temporary resident permit holder ) which i submitted yes . But now , when i am filing that section , it asks me to select the type in that but now i am confused as my period from Oct 2016 to Feb 2017 i was on restoration period , Question : Do i have to mention that period in my Citizenship file ? , if yes . what is the correct type to be selected in that selection type as i am not sure if there is a solution anyone can tell me .

xsabhishek

Star Member
Apr 29, 2014
Delhi
Hi Guys..i need your help in my case.

My name was incorrect in Indian passport when i applied for PR in 2015. My full name was mentioned in Given Names field.

So as per the rules my name was put in Surname field in PR Card and Given names field was blank.

Now in 2017 i renewed my Indian Passport and they corrected my name..i mean they split my name to correct thing in given name and surname field.

Now the question is what should i do in my citizenship appliction:
1) Should i fill up the application with my name as is in COPR / PR card
2) Fill up the correct name as mentioned in new Indian Passport.

Anyways i need to apply for name change now or later as the current situation is not going to work.
I live in quebec and i applied to director de l'etat civil to change my name. I submitted my new passport copy and a letter from indian embassy about the situation. They rejected it saying they need proper birth certificate. In my case i dont have a birth certificate. So that name change is application is stuck there.

Not sure what should i do in my case..any suggestion will be helpful.

keypad

Sep 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
15-10-2013
Med's Done....
26-10-2013
Passport Req..
15-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2015
LANDED..........
29-09-2015

Spartan73

Star Member
Aug 10, 2016
Hi everyone
I have a question if anyone had similar issue or know anything about it. I applied for citizenship on june 14 through my representative. I was just going through the copy she send me and i found out that she made a spelling mistake in the city/town of birth . What should i do about it ? Do i just wait or is it going to be returned for that spelling mistake? If anyone know anything please reply
Thanks in advance

sahilmirg

Sep 17, 2017
@rajkamalmohanram
@Aneelareddy

Need your help or advice you can provide.

I was student from April 2014 to Nov 2015 as per study permit. I applied PGWP on Sep 2015 and received the work permit on Jan 2016. I was on implied status from Sep 2015 to Jan 2016. How would I declare it in the physical presence calculator as it has no option other than visitor, student, Temporary worker, protected person.

Please help me with this confusion. Thank you

NMontD

Nov 30, 2016
Dear Friends

I have a question pertaining to point number 9 b) in the citizenship application where I can take advantage of my Temporary worker(Work Permit) in last 5 years. I came to Canada in 1st, September 2014 on Work Permit and got my PR in 3rd June 2018. I was always in Canada except for 2 months of vacation.

In the chart do i need to document all my work permit dates as IRCC issues for every 2 years (Example September 2014 to September 2016 and October 2016 to October 2018) OR one-liner from 3rd June 2015 to 2nd June 2018 will be sufficient as "Worker"

Please advise

Also, my spouse was always with me as dependent with TRV visa. Does her status for same question will be "Visitor" or "Temporary Resident Permit Holder"

Thanks

starzz_101

Jan 18, 2020
hi Guys, I have a question about Physical Presence calculator. I landed as a PR in Canada in Oct 2014. I then went back home and returned in June 2017 where I have been living in Canada since. My 5 year eligibility period for citizenship is ( july 2015 -july 2020)
My question is during my absence within the eligibility period (july 2015 - june 2017) I lived in My home country. I took one vacation to the USA for one week during this time. Do I have to mention this vacation to the US as I was already out of Canada.

I am asking because i saw there was a note saying if you visited more than one country during your absence you should state it in the reason section. However I did not mention this when I renewed my PR last year so I just wanted to remain consistent with the information.

Last edited:

Ladymarie

Star Member
Jul 1, 2020
Hi @rajkamalmohanram, can you please help me out here? I need your help around police certificate for my kid. He spent 250 days outside Canada after landing as PR. For most of the 250 days away, he was under 14yrs. After he turned 14, he spent only 95days before returning to Canada fully. Would he need to provide a police certificate?
Thanks for your feedback soon!