+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

kulcha

Star Member
Jun 18, 2019
I am a Canadian PR and in the country for close to ~3 years. In order apply for Citizenship, do I have to wait for 5 years and meet the eligibility of 1095 days or I can apply as soon as I complete 1095 days in Canada irrespectively. Thanks in advance

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I am a Canadian PR and in the country for close to ~3 years. In order apply for Citizenship, do I have to wait for 5 years and meet the eligibility of 1095 days or I can apply as soon as I complete 1095 days in Canada irrespectively. Thanks in advance
As soon as you touch 1095 you are eligible.

Reactions: kulcha

monikam

Mar 29, 2019
Hi Everyone, I applied for my citizenship. I received a letter for fingerprint on November 1st and it asks me to do it within 30 days of receiving the letter. However, I just landed India to visit my family and wouldn't be available to do fingerprints at RCMP in Canada for next 30 days. the letter says if you cannot do it within 30 days call us. I called them and agent asked to fill the webform and mentioned it will be decided by concerned officer. on November 2nd, I received an email for booking my citizenship test by November 2nd.the letter said if you are outside Canada let them know within 48 hours of receiving the letter So my questions are

1. Can they give some extra time for fingerprint to be done.
2. Can we give citizenship test from India prior to giving fingerprints?

Please share your experience.

Many thanks in advance!

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi Everyone, I applied for my citizenship. I received a letter for fingerprint on November 1st and it asks me to do it within 30 days of receiving the letter. However, I just landed India to visit my family and wouldn't be available to do fingerprints at RCMP in Canada for next 30 days. the letter says if you cannot do it within 30 days call us. I called them and agent asked to fill the webform and mentioned it will be decided by concerned officer. on November 2nd, I received an email for booking my citizenship test by November 2nd.the letter said if you are outside Canada let them know within 48 hours of receiving the letter So my questions are

1. Can they give some extra time for fingerprint to be done.
2. Can we give citizenship test from India prior to giving fingerprints?

Please share your experience.

Many thanks in advance!
You need to search the forum as there is a case of getting FP done from India.
Yes you need IRCC approval to give test from India.
FP and test are two independent activities.

SwathiKumar3569

Jul 22, 2023
Good morning everyone,
If I go back to school after PR and Im just unemployed for 8 months, is it affecting my application for citizenship?

maplezone

Mar 2, 2015
Hi everyone,

If someone currently holds a valid residency visa of Country A on their current passport (non-canadian passport). Then in this situation, can they still apply for a Canadian citizenship? Even though they have filed the taxes of the last 3 years(after becoming a PR) and physically been in Canada for more than 3 of the last 5 years (1,095 days), and also have the english test results.

As, under Question 13, it asks to list all the immigration statuses ever held by an applicant. I was wondering, if currently someone holds a valid residency in Country A, i.e. other than the country of their current citizenship. Can they still apply for the Canadian citizenship? Someone told me that it may raise a red flag. Could someone please let me know about it.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi everyone,

If someone currently holds a valid residency visa of Country A on their current passport (non-canadian passport). Then in this situation, can they still apply for a Canadian citizenship? Even though they have filed the taxes of the last 3 years(after becoming a PR) and physically been in Canada for more than 3 of the last 5 years (1,095 days), and also have the english test results.

As, under Question 13, it asks to list all the immigration statuses ever held by an applicant. I was wondering, if currently someone holds a valid residency in Country A, i.e. other than the country of their current citizenship. Can they still apply for the Canadian citizenship? Someone told me that it may raise a red flag. Could someone please let me know about it.
Having residency of multiply country is not an issue and I don't think there is anything in it to be flagged. You just have to list all of it in your application.

Calpol

Sep 7, 2023
According to the latest update on the tracker, the test was completed on November 1. When the LPP will be completed? How fast is Edmonton Office?

futurechecka

Nov 19, 2019
Hello everyone,

I have a quick question. I received my AOR yesterday and they mentioned they would ask again for a proof of language later on.
I used a copy of my french post secondary education diplomas when I filled the citizenship application online.

Will I need at some point the original documents ?? or pictures of those diplomas will be enough ?

They're stored in France and I want to know if I should have them sent here in Canada as soon as possible.

Thank you in advance for your help, always very appreciated.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello everyone,

I have a quick question. I received my AOR yesterday and they mentioned they would ask again for a proof of language later on.
I used a copy of my french post secondary education diplomas when I filled the citizenship application online.

Will I need at some point the original documents ?? or pictures of those diplomas will be enough ?

They're stored in France and I want to know if I should have them sent here in Canada as soon as possible.

Thank you in advance for your help, always very appreciated.
If they call you for the interview, originals will be needed. If they don't you will not need it. The timeline for when interview will be scheduled is also difficult to guess.

Always better to have access to all original documentation when your application is in progress.

wonderwall007

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
I am a bit confused about the addresses question. I was outside of Canada visiting parents for over 183 days (approximately 190) while working remotely for a Canadian company. Do I have to add my parents address or Use only my Canadian address?

Last edited: