+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

futurechecka

Nov 19, 2019
@futurechecka you can go with either visitor or worker depending on whether you worked or not.
And no, visitor visas are not needed for short vacations.
Thank you so much for your reply, I greatly appreciate it.

I have another quick question.
Regarding Language evidence, I need a proof of knowledge of English or French.
As I am French, and lived in France most of my life, I was thinking of 'Post-secondary Education in French'.
Would I be able to use my Bachelor degree certificate as an official proof? would this be sufficient? or do I need to take some kind of tests?

Thank you again in advance for your help =)

Last edited:

Guff

Sep 17, 2023
Hi @rajkamalmohanram (and anyone who can help :)), thank you so much for sharing this useful guide!! It's been such a helpful resource.

Is it an issue for me to apply for Canadian citizenship (I am eligible) while living overseas and currently have no return date to Canada?

On the physical presence calculator, it asks for a return date to Canada - this field is mandatory. I'm applying from Australia (I currently live here with my Canadian partner) so the latest date I can put in the calculator and on my application form is the date of my application (today's date). I am applying for Canadian citizenship as we would like the option to move back to Canada later in life and I'm eligible now as I have lived in Canada for the past 5 years as a permanent resident. Do you know if submitting the application while residing in Australia, not having a return date, but saying on my application date of return is my application date will be an issue?

Thank you in advance

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi @rajkamalmohanram (and anyone who can help :)), thank you so much for sharing this useful guide!! It's been such a helpful resource.

Is it an issue for me to apply for Canadian citizenship (I am eligible) while living overseas and currently have no return date to Canada?

On the physical presence calculator, it asks for a return date to Canada - this field is mandatory. I'm applying from Australia (I currently live here with my Canadian partner) so the latest date I can put in the calculator and on my application form is the date of my application (today's date). I am applying for Canadian citizenship as we would like the option to move back to Canada later in life and I'm eligible now as I have lived in Canada for the past 5 years as a permanent resident. Do you know if submitting the application while residing in Australia, not having a return date, but saying on my application date of return is my application date will be an issue?

Thank you in advance
Best would be for you to come to Canada and submit your application.

Discussion on the same topic -
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/filling-out-citizenship-forum-but-i-am-outside-canada-and-not-sure-when-will-i-return.786665/
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/applying-for-canadian-citizenship-online-from-overseas.787763/

Person who did it -
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/applying-for-canadian-citizenship-from-us.772711/post-10152583

senthilkumarank

Star Member
Apr 27, 2017
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-07-2018
AOR Received.
04-11-2018
Please can someone reply to my question?
Can I apply for Citizenship in the Online portal with my spouse and 7-year-old kid as a group?
In some old posts, I see that Paper can only be applied to family applications. Is it true? Or has it changed recently?

Jun 26, 2019
I’ve a general question for Citizenship applications for “remote tech workers”.

If someone (who is PR) has been remotely working from a different country without informing the employer for certain (6-7) months (then moved and lived in Canada for 3-4 years),
could this have any impact on their application (prospects) for citizenship?

Does the Canadian government communicate with employers as a part of citizenship application process, checking the dates against the timeline in passport stamps, and perhaps consider “not informing” employer immoral enough so as to reject the application for citizenship?

Also, would they inform the employer that employee actually did this thing?

I mean, assuming that the employer states the dates and positions correctly in Canada, provides the document and communicates same on phone/email but passport stamps and immigration data say that the employee was out for 6-7 months, would the Canadian government care about that discrepancy?

yourshary

Jul 5, 2021
Hi Guys, we are eligible to apply for citizenship. Have few questions regarding application process.
1) We are a family of 4, so can we apply all together online like the PR application
2) I have my IELTS test results and WES, does my wife also need them. she had her Post graduation from India
3) Can we use the same photos we used in PR application in citizenship application as well
4) Do we need medicals and PCC now also? we went on vacation to India for around 4 months last year

Appreciate your response

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
@yourshary :
1) yep you can.
2) if your wife studied in English, she doesn't need the IELTS or another language proof. But she may need a letter from her university confirming the degree's language.
3) use recent pictures.
4) no medicals. PCC is only needed if you spent more than 6 months in a row in a given country in the past 4 years.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi Guys, we are eligible to apply for citizenship. Have few questions regarding application process.
1) We are a family of 4, so can we apply all together online like the PR application
2) I have my IELTS test results and WES, does my wife also need them. she had her Post graduation from India
3) Can we use the same photos we used in PR application in citizenship application as well
4) Do we need medicals and PCC now also? we went on vacation to India for around 4 months last year

Appreciate your response
1) Yes
2) You can use IELTS results. If your wife can get a letter from University that her education was completed done in English with degree certificate will work.
3) Your photo must show your current appearance. This means it must be taken no more than 6 months before you submit your application.
PR days won't work as its tough to look the same.
4) No medical. No PCC if you were not there for 183 days or more in a row

Reactions: yourshary

pulkitkumar190

Jan 28, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
I’ve a general question for Citizenship applications for “remote tech workers”.

If someone (who is PR) has been remotely working from a different country without informing the employer for certain (6-7) months (then moved and lived in Canada for 3-4 years),
could this have any impact on their application (prospects) for citizenship?

Does the Canadian government communicate with employers as a part of citizenship application process, checking the dates against the timeline in passport stamps, and perhaps consider “not informing” employer immoral enough so as to reject the application for citizenship?

Also, would they inform the employer that employee actually did this thing?

I mean, assuming that the employer states the dates and positions correctly in Canada, provides the document and communicates same on phone/email but passport stamps and immigration data say that the employee was out for 6-7 months, would the Canadian government care about that discrepancy?
No one calls into company, to snitch on you man. Chill

td88

Aug 8, 2019
Image Hi all, how can I track my application, i've received AOR and invitation to the test and finished the test. But i don't know how, from ECAS, the drop down is too confused, which one should I choose as i have my Citizenship Application Number with a C at the top:
Application number/ Case Number
Citizenship file number/ Group Number
Thank you for your help

yourshary

Jul 5, 2021
Hi,
Quick question regarding photos of citizenship application..
Whatever photo we upload in citizenship application will be used in passport once we got citizenship??
Can someone please clarify this..

Thanks,
Hari

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi,
Quick question regarding photos of citizenship application..
Whatever photo we upload in citizenship application will be used in passport once we got citizenship??
Can someone please clarify this..

Thanks,
Hari
There is a different application process for it and you need to submit a hardcopy with a stamp on back of it.