+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello Everyone,

My spouse got his pr in 2019 and we are submitting our citizenship application.
I have couple of questions.

1. As my husband got in Pr in 2019 but the application ask for 5 year address history so is it okay to enter back home address?
2. For the tax year 2018, is it okay to check the tax filed not required and not submitted?
3. Is it okay to submit the high school marks heat as a proof of English language?

Related to my profile
1. I am currently on maternity leave. For employment history, do I mark myself unemployed or should say employed as I am going to rejoin my company once my leave is over?

Last question for both of our application

1. For the question where it is asking do you ever held a travel document?

Does this means canadian passport or it is referring to foreign country passport.

Thank you in advance.
Since you’re still employed during mat leave, you can include that time in the employment period for that employer
Its referring to current passport which is most likely be a non Canadian one.. :)

Reactions: simuser7

Mo_mad

Sep 5, 2023
You don't need the visitors visas, these are dealt with in the physical presence calculator, only the places where you had an actual immigration status, like a citizenship, a work permit, studies...
If you want at least one person who had no problem NOT listing their visitor visas, that could be me. I listed my country of citizenship and another country where I went to university before coming to Canada, but didn't list the US visa in there, even though I obviously had one since I listed some vacations south of the border in my physical presence calculator, and got the citizenship in 5 months.
Thank you kind sir

onestranger

Apr 15, 2019
I have a few questions about my current scenario that I am hoping someone can help me answer.

Some background:
- I first visited Canada in June 2019 for 1 month on Visitor visa.
- I then moved to Canada after marriage on Visitor visa in December 2019.
- I applied for Spousal sponsorship in Feb 2020 and applied for work permit as well.
- I received my work permit in September 2020.
- I received my PR in Feb 2021.

Questions:
1. Can I include the 1 month I visited Canada in June 2019 in my Physical Presence Calculator?
2. In the physical presence calculator, should I break down my time between Dec 2019 to Feb 2021 as Visitor (Dec 2019 to Sept 2020) and work permit (Sept 2020 to Feb 2021)? If so, is work permit considered "Temporary Worker" or "Temporary Resident Permit Holder"?
3. Do I have to get a police clearance from my home country? I have been in Canada since December 2019 (>3 years).

Thank you for your help in advance.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
1. Visitor doesn't count
2. Only Work permit will be allowed as temporary worker
3. Nope
According to this, the visitor status does count. What doesn't is the period waiting for a refugee claim, or having legal issues (prison, parole...)
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/grant/residence/calculate-physical-presence.html#s05

@onestranger the physical presence calculator makes the calculation for you. If you were in Canada on a given day, you put it there with the actual immigration status and you let the system do the rest.
The general wisdom is not rely on these days for your 1095 days to potentially make things smoother, by having a large enough buffer of days, but if you have actual proof that you were here on a given period (in case IRCC asks for additional documentation), you'll be good to go.
What's for sure is that you don't get to "decide" which days you include. You just input everything, with the change of status when you go from one to the other (visitor to temporary worker in your case), and let the system assess your eligibility.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
According to this, the visitor status does count. What doesn't is the period waiting for a refugee claim, or having legal issues (prison, parole...)
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/grant/residence/calculate-physical-presence.html#s05

@onestranger the physical presence calculator makes the calculation for you. If you were in Canada on a given day, you put it there with the actual immigration status and you let the system do the rest.
The general wisdom is not rely on these days for your 1095 days to potentially make things smoother, by having a large enough buffer of days, but if you have actual proof that you were here on a given period (in case IRCC asks for additional documentation), you'll be good to go.
What's for sure is that you don't get to "decide" which days you include. You just input everything, with the change of status when you go from one to the other (visitor to temporary worker in your case), and let the system assess your eligibility.
My bad. You are right.
Below link PDF clearly mentions that.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/citizen/cit0407e-2.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjHlfOlmp-BAxVOm4kEHWqUAAQQFnoECCwQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0OFVmUVEWzH_JevC2Q_zew

onestranger

Apr 15, 2019

Thank you! That is really helpful.

To confirm, in the calculator, I would put the following right?

- 1 month time in June as Visitor
- from December 2019 to September 2020 as Visitor
- from September 2020 to February 2021 as Temporary Worker
- from Feb 2021 onward as PR

Also, the work permit is an open work permit and I wasn't working during that time. That would still be considered Temporary Worker?

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
@onestranger you actually put the periods where you're outside the country in the calculator, not the ones where you're in Canada. That would make the Dec 2019 to Feb 2021 as a single block there, and it's fine, both the visitor and worker visa count for half a day.
If I'm not mistaken, the status change in September 2020 will be listed in a specific question of the citizenship application, separate from the calculator itself.

onestranger

Apr 15, 2019
@onestranger you actually put the periods where you're outside the country in the calculator, not the ones where you're in Canada. That would make the Dec 2019 to Feb 2021 as a single block there, and it's fine, both the visitor and worker visa count for half a day.
If I'm not mistaken, the status change in September 2020 will be listed in a specific question of the citizenship application, separate from the calculator itself.
Fantastic! Thank you so much for your help. This means I would be eligible to apply for citizenship now. :)

Safeperson

Star Member
Nov 26, 2019
Good day
I do appreciate the effort you put into this information. I find it really helpful. Thank you.
My question is the part that says we have to submit every page of travel history for the period of 5 years on our passport.
The thing is, I never travelled out of Canada since I got in, so I was wondering if I should still submit every page on my passport because it looks like there are up to 34 pages.
Second Question: Is the online application the same as the paper application because I was wondering, if I wanted to do the online application, how do I sign the forms?

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
@Safeperson the scan of all passport pages is specific to the paper application, regardless of your travel history, the online application only asks for the bio page (although IRCC can always ask for the other pages later if they want to). If you use the paper application, please provide the whole passport.
Also, there are no "forms" to speak of in an online application. It's more of a portal with separate sections. It's very straightforward. You won't need to sign anything by hand.

futurechecka

Nov 19, 2019
Q13: Do you currently, or have you ever held immigration or citizenship status in a country or territory other than Canada (this includes your country of birth)?
  • The vast majority of us would have to answer 'Yes' to this question (unless you were stateless your whole life up until this point).
  • This includes country of birth so don't forget that.
  • Enter the country, status, date you obtained that status and if that status is current or expired.
Hey There,

I just started working on my Canadian citizenship application and I have a quick question if I may.
I am French but lived in Tokyo for a year (2009) with a Working Holiday Visa.
Do I need to include this ? If yes, under which status ? "Other" ?

Do I also need to mention every single tourist visas I have ever gotten while visiting countries ? Japan, USA,...

Thank you a lot in advance for your help.

user4566

Sep 20, 2021
Hi guys, Just have a question regarding citizenship Application. I enrolled in early childhood education last year sept 2022 but I withdrawn from the program after one semester so I only completed 1 semester (sept 2022-Dec2022). Do I need to mention this on the background form? Do I need to put withdrawn under type of certificate or diploma issued? What should I put under that Column? I do have Level 1 Certificate from ECE assistant but I didn't finish the 2 year diploma.

Mimi6583

Sep 14, 2023
Hi everyone, I have a question regarding name change.

I became a PR as a single lady and got married afterwards. I have not changed my name on my PR card.
While submitting my citizenship application, the system asked for my name as stated on my PR card and also if I have changed names since becoming PR.
When I entered my maiden name, the applicant name automatically changed to my maiden name. I attached my marriage certificate and a letter of explanation.

My question is…..will my application AND citizenship certificate be issued in my maiden name or the new one?