+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I sent documents for my family yesterday to Syndey, Nova Scotia. I currently live in Quebec but may relocate to Toronto later this year or early next year. Does anyone know how this affects application processing ..
Well, really depends on when you move, I guess. If you move early on (for example, before your application moves to "In Process" status on ECAS) and immediately update the address, then Sydney will send your file directly to the responsible office in the GTA for processing. If you move after Sydney sends your file to the Quebec office and then change your address, then that might result in a file transfer and might result in some delay.

Here's more information on change of address:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/general-file-processing/sending-applications-changes-address.html

prkuti

Jan 5, 2020
Hello, I will like to find out if I need to request a police report from my home country. I will be eligible for citizenship over this weekend 31-july 2017 to 31-july 2022, I have spent 433days(7times) in my home country but didn't stay up to six months in a row during each visit since I became PR.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello, I will like to find out if I need to request a police report from my home country. I will be eligible for citizenship over this weekend 31-july 2017 to 31-july 2022, I have spent 433days(7times) in my home country but didn't stay up to six months in a row during each visit since I became PR.
How many days did you stay in your home country in the past 4 years? 433 days is a very long absence, I would strongly recommend that you submit a police certificate just to be safe.

cbasil

Sep 8, 2017
Hi all,
First, I would like to thank everybody who has contributed to this forum. I have learned a lot from it in the past years.

I am working on my citizenship application and need help with Question 13.
"Do you currently, or have you ever held immigration or citizenship status in a country or territory other than Canada (this includes your country of birth)?"
I am very confused by the "visitor" option in the "status" drop box. I was relieved to find out that I was not the only one. Does it mean I need to list any country I needed a visa to visit as a tourist as well?
Having read through a few opinions on the matter I decided to list all travel (i.e. tourist/visitor) visas I have ever held. Thankfully, I don't have many.

I am stuck with my Schengen visa back from 2009. I received a regular C class short-term visitor visa and briefly travelled through a few European countries.
My question is what country/ies do I choose in the "Country or Territory" drop box? There is no option for "Schengen zone" or "European Union". Should I list all EU countries (since my visitor status was equally applicable to all) or just the ones I visited?

I would really appreciate if anyone could share what they wrote in their applications.
Thanks!

wink

May 25, 2021
Hi all,
First, I would like to thank everybody who has contributed to this forum. I have learned a lot from it in the past years.

"Do you currently, or have you ever held immigration or citizenship status in a country or territory other than Canada (this includes your country of birth)?"
I am very confused by the "visitor" option in the "status" drop box. I was relieved to find out that I was not the only one. Does it mean I need to list any country I needed a visa to visit as a tourist as well?
Having read through a few opinions on the matter I decided to list all travel (i.e. tourist/visitor) visas I have ever held. Thankfully, I don't have many.

I am stuck with my Schengen visa back from 2009. I received a regular C class short-term visitor visa and briefly travelled through a few European countries.
My question is what country/ies do I choose in the "Country or Territory" drop box? There is no option for "Schengen zone" or "European Union". Should I list all EU countries (since my visitor status was equally applicable to all) or just the ones I visited?

I would really appreciate if anyone could share what they wrote in their applications.
Thanks!
I had one entry with Schengen and entered it like this:

Germany, Visitor, Visa-start-date, Visa-end-date.

I think, we need to enter just visited countries.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi all,

Thanks!
Isn't the Schengen visa issued by a particular country in the Schengen region? You can enter just that country, you don't have to list all the countries.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi all,

Thanks!
This tweet is interesting:

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Interesting indeed. By making 2/2 response specific to the individual, CitImmCanada missed the opportunity to explain it in broader sense. Looks like questions around Q13 going to live forever... unless application guide provides some more clarity.
The question I have however is this immigration status required for a period of 5 year or 4 years or lifetime ?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Good question. Till IRCC clarifies we should assume it to be lifetime, I think.
I am doing this for the eligibility period Aug 2016 to Aug 2021.

If I start doing for the entire life I will swamp the application form with dates... imagine flying from Dubai to Muscat or Doha or Manama or Kuwait and return the same evening. This used to be the norm at least 8-10 times in a month., all the way since early 2000s :)...

Any other suggestion regards to validity wrt Q13 ?
@rajkamalmohanram

Last edited:
Reactions: summerxx

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I am doing this for the eligibility period Aug 2016 to Aug 2021.

If I start doing for the entire life I will swamp the application form with dates... imagine flying from Dubai to Muscat or Doha or Manama or Kuwait and return the same evening. This used to be the norm at least 8-10 times in a month., all the way since early 2000s :)...

Any other suggestion regards to validity wrt Q13 ?
@rajkamalmohanram
Here's my take on this :

Q13 doesn't ask for all the trips. You don't have to enter status during each trip. A single row for a the entire validity period for a particular visa in a in a particular country should suffice. To make it more clear, enter the VISA validity dates in this question.

For example :

Jane Doe (or Alice Kruger / Remi Briggs) had the following statuses in other countries :

0. Citizen => South Africa - Issued at birth to Present
1. Australia => Visitor Visa - Issued March 2000 (Valid for 10 years)
2. Mexico => Work Permit - Issued January 2001 (Valid for 3 years)
3. USA => B1/B2 Visa - Issued July 2001 (Valid for 10 years)
4. Mexico => Work Permit - (Renewed) January 2004 (Valid for 3 more years)
5. Iceland => Business/Conference Visa - Issued November 2019 (Valid for 5 years)
6. Schengen Visa (Visitor) => Issued by Germany => Issued on Jan 2021 (Valid for 5 years).
7. Australia => Visitor Visa => (Renewed) March 2021

In this case, Jane would enter the following in Q13.

Country or Territory
Status
Other
Date Obtained/ Effective Date
End Date
South AfricaCitizen1984-03-12
AustraliaVisitor2000-03-102010-03-10
MexicoWorker2001-01-212007-01-21
USAVisitor2001-07-132011-07-13
IcelandOtherBusiness/Conference2019-11-052024-11-05
GermanyVisitor2021-01-172026-01-17
AustraliaVisitor2021-03-262031-03-26

This is just my take on this. I interpreted Q13 in a certain way and this is how, from my understanding, the entries should be made for this question.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Here's my take on this :

Q13 doesn't ask for all the trips. You don't have to enter status during each trip. A single row for a the entire validity period for a particular visa in a in a particular country should suffice. To make it more clear, enter the VISA validity dates in this question.

For example :

Jane Doe (or Alice Kruger / Remi Briggs) had the following statuses in other countries :

0. Citizen => South Africa - Issued at birth to Present
1. Australia => Visitor Visa - Issued March 2000 (Valid for 10 years)
2. Mexico => Work Permit - Issued January 2001 (Valid for 3 years)
3. USA => B1/B2 Visa - Issued July 2001 (Valid for 10 years)
4. Mexico => Work Permit - (Renewed) January 2004 (Valid for 3 more years)
5. Iceland => Business/Conference Visa - Issued November 2019 (Valid for 5 years)
6. Schengen Visa (Visitor) => Issued by Germany => Issued on Jan 2021 (Valid for 5 years).
7. Australia => Visitor Visa => (Renewed) March 2021

In this case, Jane would enter the following in Q13.

Country or Territory
Status
Other
Date Obtained/ Effective Date
End Date
South AfricaCitizen1984-03-12
AustraliaVisitor2000-03-102010-03-10
MexicoWorker2001-01-212007-01-21
USAVisitor2001-07-132011-07-13
IcelandOtherBusiness/Conference2019-11-052024-11-05
GermanyVisitor2021-01-172026-01-17
AustraliaVisitor2021-03-262031-03-26

This is just my take on this. I interpreted Q13 in a certain way and this is how, from my understanding, the entries should be made for this question.
Yes I understand that it does not asks for trips but trips within Gulf countries, I had visa on arrival. These trips would last a day or couple days at max.
Next time I would visit a new visa on arrival was issued/stamped on the passport.
In addition I traveled every year since the last 8/9 years to Germany on a visit visa which were issued every other year each having a different visa issue and expiry dates
in 2017 and 2018 I travel to Dubai from Canada, I got visa on arrival because of US visa on Indian passport holders
What you are mentioning above is the interpretation which I understand, but I see this even as a more extensive requirement than the PR application which had alt-least 10 yr travel history requirements

Last edited:

Forte

Nov 14, 2016
Hello All,
I'm not sure what's considered a gap when filling the employment history section. For example would this be okay?

Company A : 2020-09 to Present
Company B: 2020-01 to 2020-08

or does it have to be:

Company A : 2020-09 to Present
Unemployed: 2020-08 to 2020-09
Company B: 2020-01 to 2020-08

Thanks

prkuti

Jan 5, 2020
How many days did you stay in your home country in the past 4 years? 433 days is a very long absence, I would strongly recommend that you submit a police certificate just to be safe.
Hi, Please do you think its necessary to include copies of entry/exit stamps in my application?