+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
When when IRCC tries to query the CBSA's database, they will only see the entry record into Canada (20-Nov-2019). They will NOT be able to confirm when the applicant left the country. This is the reason why a lot of applicants get asked for all the pages of the passport because those pages will show the real picture (Singapore Immigration would have stamped your passport on 10-Jan-2019 with an entry stamp and by looking at this, IRCC will be able to confirm the applicant lied on their physical presence calculator).
Asking out of curiosity. How would they confirm whether the Physical Presence calculation is correct when it comes to applicants moving between Canada and their country of citizenship? e.g. if CBSA used to not track exits, and you don't get entry stamps for your country of citizenship, literally the only data point they'd have is when the applicant re-entered Canada? The applicant could've technically lived outside of Canada for years and only claimed a single day in their calculation.

ybjianada

Sep 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2016
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed on 24-01-2016
Passport Req..
06-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2016
Asking out of curiosity. How would they confirm whether the Physical Presence calculation is correct when it comes to applicants moving between Canada and their country of citizenship? e.g. if CBSA used to not track exits, and you don't get entry stamps for your country of citizenship, literally the only data point they'd have is when the applicant re-entered Canada? The applicant could've technically lived outside of Canada for years and only claimed a single day in their calculation.
That's a good question, and it is why they started exit control as of June 2020 for air travel. But not soon enough, in my opinion.

If they suspect the applicant had been out of Canada for an extended period of time, and if entry/exit stamps on the passports don't show this, I heard that they sometimes will ask you to produce an entry/exit record from the immigration authorities of the countries concerned (mostly your country of citizenship). Now that would be a pain in the ass.

In addition, they will ask for evidence for the period in which you claimed to have lived in Canada.

Now, if they were wise enough to have instituted exit control way earlier (which other countries have been doing for years), it would have made things so much easier.

Last edited:

ybjianada

Sep 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2016
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed on 24-01-2016
Passport Req..
06-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2016
Nope, not send yet. I have a chance to include all the missing pages. :)
You don't have any non-English/French stamps on your passport pages? Lucky you!

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Good question. Yes, there are some cases when the passport is not stamped by their home country. IRCC, in this case, might choose to probe a bit further or take the word of the applicant in good faith. Like @ybjianada has mentioned, this is the reason why CBSA has started recording exits out of Canada (which they should have done DECADES ago).

That's a good question, and it is why they started exit control as of June 2020 for air travel. But not soon enough, in my opinion.

If they suspect the applicant had been out of Canada for an extended period of time, and if entry/exit stamps on the passports don't show this, I heard that they sometimes will ask you to produce an entry/exit record from the immigration authorities of the countries concerned (mostly your country of citizenship). Now that would be a pain in the ass.

In addition, they will ask for evidence for the period in which you claimed to have lived in Canada.

Now, if they were wise enough to have instituted exit control way earlier (which other countries have been doing for years), it would have made things so much easier.
Agreed. They must have implemented this long, long time ago but they started it only in June 2020. Not sure why CBSA thought it was a good idea to not track the exits out of the country. If they had both exit and entry records, that would have been fantastic as they would only have to ask for biographic pages of the passport and not require all the pages.

Guptavv

Oct 15, 2017
NA
Category........
Other
App. Filed.......
21-07-2017
Doc's Request.
13-10-2017
AOR Received.
06-11-2017
IELTS Request
10-07-2017
Med's Request
25-10-2017
Passport Req..
04-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
10-01-2018
LANDED..........
04-06-2018
Hi

I had a quick question related to PCC.
I was working in US when we applied for Canada PR and once I did the landing we visited Canada a couple of times.
We continued to be in US for 6 months post our Landing.
Do we need to submit the PCC from US for the above period - As we stayed for around 6 months in US after PR activation - or is it needed to attach the older clearance that we have from US.

Also I couldn't find PCC requirements for Minor any where, I though most countries don't do PCC for kids, if there is any specific link u can point me to that will be really helpful

Thanks
Vivek

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi

I had a quick question related to PCC.
I was working in US when we applied for Canada PR and once I did the landing we visited Canada a couple of times.
We continued to be in US for 6 months post our Landing.
Do we need to submit the PCC from US for the above period - As we stayed for around 6 months in US after PR activation - or is it needed to attach the older clearance that we have from US.

Also I couldn't find PCC requirements for Minor any where, I though most countries don't do PCC for kids, if there is any specific link u can point me to that will be really helpful

Thanks
Vivek
Since you have stayed in the US for a continuous period of 6 months within the past 4 years AFTER establishing Permanent Residency in Canada, you would very likely have to submit a US PCC (recent one). The old PCC can only be used if it was issued after the last time you were in that country (in other words, you never went back to the US).

I would strongly recommend that you submit a fresh US PCC with your citizenship application.

nourmandy2

May 11, 2019
Hi,
Regarding the Recent update to send all pages of passport, is it applied on minor too ,the check list and guidelines still mention copy of biographical page ?
Also for the photos should photographer stamps one or both? As I went to Staples yesterday and they stamped only one ? Thanks

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi,
Regarding the Recent update to send all pages of passport, is it applied on minor too ,the check list and guidelines still mention copy of biographical page ?
Also for the photos should photographer stamps one or both? As I went to Staples yesterday and they stamped only one ? Thanks
Check the instruction guide and the checklist for minors. If it says biographic pages, then submit only that for the minor. Also, if I remember correctly, the photographer will stamp only one photo.

singcan

May 1, 2021
Has anyone submitted their citizenship application by including Singapore PCC? I require one because I lived in Singapore for 8 months prior to moving to Canada but apparently Singapore does not issue PCC if we don't provide a letter from IRCC. Is it okay to submit the application without Singapore PCC by attaching a letter of explanation?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Has anyone submitted their citizenship application by including Singapore PCC? I require one because I lived in Singapore for 8 months prior to moving to Canada but apparently Singapore does not issue PCC if we don't provide a letter from IRCC. Is it okay to submit the application without Singapore PCC by attaching a letter of explanation?
If Singapore was your country of origin (country of your residence / country where you lived) immediately before establishing Permanent Residence in Canada and this period falls within the last 4 years AND you did NOT live in Singapore for more than 180 days in a row AFTER establishing PR in Canada , then you do not have to submit a police certificate from Singapore.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html

Police certificate(s)

You need to provide a police certificate from each country, other than Canada, if you were there

• in the past 4 years
  • for 183 days or more in a row
  • since the age of 18
Indicate in the chart the name of each country and provide a police certificate.

You don’t need to provide a police certificate if

• you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada, and
  • this time falls within the past 4 years
If you can’t get a police certificate, tell us why in the explanation box.

To be valid, the police certificate must be either issued

• after the last time you were in that country, or
  • no more than 6 months before the date you sign your citizenship application
We may request a police certificate at any point during processing, even if you submitted a valid certificate with your application.
However, if you meant that you lived in Singapore AFTER establishing Permanent Residence in Canada but before permanently moving to Canada, then you have to submit a police certificate.

If Singapore doesn't issue a police certificate without a letter from IRCC, write that in the explanation box and tell them you are not able to provide a police certificate for this reason.

Last edited:

Momo2010

Star Member
Apr 2, 2017
I came to Canada as PNP nominee by Ontario. I lived in Ontario for 1 year and 2 months then moved to Alberta .
Is that a problem when applying for citizenship?
Do I have to write a letter of explanation?
Thanks
@rajkamalmohanram

wink

May 25, 2021
Good question. Yes, there are some cases when the passport is not stamped by their home country. IRCC, in this case, might choose to probe a bit further or take the word of the applicant in good faith. Like @ybjianada has mentioned, this is the reason why CBSA has started recording exits out of Canada (which they should have done DECADES ago).

Agreed. They must have implemented this long, long time ago but they started it only in June 2020. Not sure why CBSA thought it was a good idea to not track the exits out of the country. If they had both exit and entry records, that would have been fantastic as they would only have to ask for biographic pages of the passport and not require all the pages.
I have been travelling between Canada (with PR card) and US (H1B) via land border and don't have stamps on my passport for each entry/exit. Not sure how this is going to affect my application.