+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

Ahmadd

Sep 16, 2020
hello I have a question.
I want to apply for my citizenship as I’m PR and meet all other requirements for myself but I applied for dependent child sponsorship for my 2 year old son currently living in United Kingdom. He is British citizen. My sponsorship eligibility was passed in September 2020 and now on 21 January 2021 I received letter from IRCC CPCS stating that “This message is being sent to confirm that the Application for Permanent Residence for your relative(s) has been forwarded to the visa office in London for further processing.”

so I’m not sure how long usually they take after sending this letter.

1)please Guide should I wait for my son to get his CoPR and than apply together for citizenship for him and myself at the same time under subsection 5(2)??
2) Or should I apply for my citizenship first and wait for my son’s CoPR so in this way can I apply for him later on under minor subsection 5(2) ?? As it will not be applying at the same time. So my main concern is this that how he could remain apply under subsection 5(2)

please guide me in this. Thank you

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
hello I have a question.
I want to apply for my citizenship as I’m PR and meet all other requirements for myself but I applied for dependent child sponsorship for my 2 year old son currently living in United Kingdom. He is British citizen. My sponsorship eligibility was passed in September 2020 and now on 21 January 2021 I received letter from IRCC CPCS stating that “This message is being sent to confirm that the Application for Permanent Residence for your relative(s) has been forwarded to the visa office in London for further processing.”

1)please Guide should I wait for my son to get his CoPR and than apply together for citizenship for him and myself at the same time under subsection 5(2)??
2) Or should I apply for my citizenship first and wait for my son’s CoPR so in this way can I apply for him later on under minor subsection 5(2) ?? As it will not be applying at the same time. So my main concern is this that how he could remain apply under subsection 5(2)

After your son receives his COPR, he should 'land' in Canada as a Permanent Resident. He is NOT considered a Permanent resident before that.

Also, as far as I know, if you wait for your son to come to Canada as a PR and then apply together => Your son does NOT have to meet the physical presence requirement. If you apply now and your son is applying later, then he must satisfy the physical presence requirement.

I'll let someone who has children verify my comment and maybe provide better guidance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ahmadd

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
hello I have a question.

Most of what rajka said is correct except the fact that if you apply without your son and later become canadian citizen you can still apply for your son's citizenship under subsection 5(2) in this case he doesn't need to meet the physical presence requirements. If you apply and when your son lands in Canada while your application is still under process you can wait to become canadian then apply under subsection 5(2) minor with a canadian parent.

Ahmadd

Sep 16, 2020
Thank you very much for guys for your guidance. If my son lands in canada while my application is under process in this case instead of waiting for myself to become canadian citizen can i request IRCC or CIC via webform that due to abc reasons i was unable to apply for my son at the same time as i did apply for myself and request them to merge my sons application or file with mine one so that they process him under subsection 5(2)???

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Thank you very much for your guidance. If my son lands in canada while my application is under process in this case instead of waiting for myself to become canadian citizen can i request IRCC or CIC via webform that due to abc reasons i was unable to apply for my son at the same time as i did apply for myself and request them to merge my sons application or file with mine one so that they process him under subsection 5(2)???
Hard to say you may certainly try to send a webform and ask IRCC directly when this happens. But my understanding is to merge your son's file to yours, he needs to be eligible first and meet all the requirements so that his file can be accepted then merge to yours if not his application will be rejected. You have two options subsection 5(2) or subsection 5(1), your son need to meet all the requirements to apply for citizenship under subsection 5(1) or subsection 5(2) if he doesn't even meet the requirement I believe his application will be rejected and there is no way you can merge it later.

Ahmadd

Sep 16, 2020
actually my plan is to move UK after my citizenship application so subsection 5(1) does not suits my situation as it requires to meet physical presence requirement which is not the case in 5(2). So after my son get CoPR and my application for citizenship is under process i think it qualifies the requirements for 5(2). But in merging the file with my application if they refuse to merge the file than i think they will count his application as Adult applicant in 5(1). So can i withdraw his application at that stage and reapply under 5(2) when i get my citizenship grant???

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
actually my plan is to move UK after my citizenship application so subsection 5(1) does not suits my situation as it requires to meet physical presence requirement which is not the case in 5(2). So after my son get CoPR and my application for citizenship is under process i think it qualifies the requirements for 5(2). But in merging the file with my application if they refuse to merge the file than i think they will count his application as Adult applicant in 5(1). So can i withdraw his application at that stage and reapply under 5(2) when i get my citizenship grant???
Sorry to say this but if your application is under process you son won't meet one the requirement under subsection 5(2). One of the requirements is minor needs to apply with one or both PRs parent at the same time with a parent or one of the parents needs to be a citizen already and none of this will apply to your minor. You won't be a Canadian citizen when your application is under process, you still a PR. The application form contains a section for parents and one section for parent citizenship certificate information if it applies to the minor if I am not wrong. Sending your son's application alone under 5(2) without one of the parents being Canadian will just end up getting returned as incomplete.

Last edited:

Ahmadd

Sep 16, 2020
Sorry to say this but if your application is under process you son won't meet one the requirement under subsection 5(2). One of the requirements is minor needs to apply with one or both PRs parent at the same time with a parent or one of the parents needs to be a citizen already and none of this will apply to your minor. You won't be a Canadian citizen when your application is under process, you still a PR. The application form contains a section for parents and one section for parent citizenship certificate information if it applies to the minor if I am not wrong. Sending your son's application alone under 5(2) without one of the parents being Canadian will just end up getting returned as incomplete.
thank you very much for your help I think I should apply for him when I get my citizenship. Bec now a days they are too much delays in processing. I don’t know how long they will take my son already passed medical in September 2020 and I got letter from IRCC on 21st January 2021 that they are forwarding my case to visa office in London uk. But still it’s very confusing either wait for him or just apply for myself.

mtmeenu

Jun 9, 2017
I have a related question that under Section 5(2) a Canadian Citizen parent can apply for citizenship of a minor under the age of 18 without residency requirement for the child. The age of 18 years is calculated from the date application is received by IRCC or the Date Application was signed or it is linked to receiving AOR (which is taking at least few months and what if by then the child crosses 18 years of age). Please advise.

mody2410

Star Member
Apr 25, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,
I submitted my application in November and i got it returned back to me yesterday!
They are saying that i missed a photo ID for my 7 yo son, but i did submit a copy of his medical card (no photo) and his passport (with a photo) as 2 IDs!!!
I don't understand what's the problem ??
Is there a number to call them?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi All,
I submitted my application in November and i got it returned back to me yesterday!
They are saying that i missed a photo ID for my 7 yo son, but i did submit a copy of his medical card (no photo) and his passport (with a photo) as 2 IDs!!!
Hmmm, looks like you've submitted the correct documents as per the instruction guide.

• Photocopy of two (2) pieces of personal identification.
    Both pieces of identification should show the minor’s name and date of birth, one of which must have a photo on it.
    Examples include:
    • school record;
    • health insurance card;
    • a passport page containing their photo and personal details;
    • a hospital or immunization record, may be provided.
    • Note: If there is information on both sides of the identification document, photocopy both sides.
For health card, did you submit both sides of his health card? Because I don't see why else they would've returned the application like this.

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
I have a related question that under Section 5(2) a Canadian Citizen parent can apply for citizenship of a minor under the age of 18 without residency requirement for the child. The age of 18 years is calculated from the date application is received by IRCC or the Date Application was signed or it is linked to receiving AOR (which is taking at least few months and what if by then the child crosses 18 years of age). Please advise.
The date the application was signed.

mody2410

Star Member
Apr 25, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hmmm, looks like you've submitted the correct documents as per the instruction guide.

For health card, did you submit both sides of his health card? Because I don't see why else they would've returned the application like this.
Yes i did submit both sides of the card.. and i called CIC but that didn't really help with anything.. they just said if you have any other kind of ID just submit it with the passport and the health card and put an explanation letter.

Doesn't make any sense!!!!

engray

Champion Member
Jul 20, 2018
Yes i did submit both sides of the card.. and i called CIC but that didn't really help with anything.. they just said if you have any other kind of ID just submit it with the passport and the health card and put an explanation letter.

Doesn't make any sense!!!!
Did you include all current and expired passports? "Photocopies of the minor’s biographical page of all valid and expired Passport(s)/Travel documents for the five (5) years immediately before the date of application, or since the minor became a permanent resident if that date is more recent than five (5) years. "

What document did you submit exactly? You might have to photocopy the current passport twice. "
Photocopy of two (2) pieces of personal identification.
Both pieces of identification should show the minor’s name and date of birth, one of which must have a photo on it.
Examples include:
  • school record;
  • health insurance card;
  • a passport page containing their photo and personal details;
  • a hospital or immunization record, may be provided.
  • Note: If there is information on both sides of the identification document, photocopy both sides.
"

Also, you can add an explanation letter to explain that you have submitted the documents as requested.

alex the king

Jun 24, 2017
Canada
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-07-2016
AOR Received.
14-11-2016
Med's Request
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
11-01-2017
Passport Req..
27-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2017
LANDED..........
24-12-2017
Hi All,
Send Again with PR card as well . PR card ,now they are accepting as ID. Write explanation letter that you used Passport (Make sure Passport is Valid) as proof of 1st ID and Health Card as Second ID. Attached PR card as well to be considered if required as ID.

Your situation understandable and the only benefit you will get with explanation letter is they may consider the earlier receiving date if they agree they returned by Mistake they will consider the First Application date received and will process or else will be considered as freshly received and will start the process.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram