Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

gaurav1282

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Hi all- another query

for section in minor form where we provide last name and full name for parents. In case of my spouse I have included last name before marriage.

other names used- should I include full name including second name after marriage

RMinna

Star Member
Jan 26, 2023
Hi, what details is appropriate for the 'reason' field in the physical presence calculator?

Its just single line or full detailed , Example My family & I landed in Canada as PR and went back to UK after 3 days .And we came back to canada after 5 months. What reason has to tell. I'm working in UK . Do i need to tell - working or visiting family or business or something else

Krisleen

Star Member
Aug 10, 2017
Hi everyone
please respond to the following

my sister applied with her minor daughter via paper based application & handed it over to the canada post yesterday.However,later she was unsure if has put XYZ doc inside.so she approached them today and inquired if she can put it inside as they dint sent the post yet.
They inquired & verified her identity and opened the envelope for her & taped it after she put the doc.she was told its all good & the tracking number is same as they gave her yesterday.
when she asked again that if taping will cause any concern for ircc to accept it or its fine.The boy said its fine or he then put her initials on the tape & signed it. & stamped it with todays's date.
now she is concerned that the paper application was submitted to canada post on 7feb but now they stamped outside with 8th feb.And will it cause anything like why i put a doc after a day inside.

KINDLY REVERT BACK IF ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING about it

wink

May 25, 2021
Hi everyone
please respond to the following

my sister applied with her minor daughter via paper based application & handed it over to the canada post yesterday.However,later she was unsure if has put XYZ doc inside.so she approached them today and inquired if she can put it inside as they dint sent the post yet.
They inquired & verified her identity and opened the envelope for her & taped it after she put the doc.she was told its all good & the tracking number is same as they gave her yesterday.
when she asked again that if taping will cause any concern for ircc to accept it or its fine.The boy said its fine or he then put her initials on the tape & signed it. & stamped it with todays's date.
now she is concerned that the paper application was submitted to canada post on 7feb but now they stamped outside with 8th feb.And will it cause anything like why i put a doc after a day inside.

KINDLY REVERT BACK IF ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING about it
I think there is nothing to worry about. It would be a problem if it is other way. i.e. post office stamp is on 8th but (you) signed on 9th (future dated)...

Krisleen

Star Member
Aug 10, 2017
I think there is nothing to worry about. It would be a problem if it is other way. i.e. post office stamp is on 8th but (you) signed on 9th (future dated)...

i mean...does anyone really look at the dates posted outside the envelope while opening & match it with the date the application was signed?

D

Deleted member 810875

PART - 3

Q10 (a): Please list all addresses inside and outside of Canada during your entire five (5) year eligibility period. Start with the most recent. If there are any missing days or periods of time, your application will be returned to you.
  • Enter all your addresses you've lived in throughout your 5-year eligibility period (inside and outside Canada). Start from the most recent one.
  • This includes the addresses you lived in your home country if you lived there for a part of the 5-year eligibility period.
  • You do NOT have to include the addresses of friends, family or hotels where you stayed if you went to a country on vacation.
  • DO NOT LEAVE ANY GAPS. The dates MUST BE CONTINUOUS. IF THERE ARE GAPS HERE, YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE RETURNED AS INCOMPLETE.
Q10 (b): In the past four (4) years, were you in a country or territory other than Canada for 183 days or more in a row (since the age of 18)?
  • Who should answer 'YES' to this?
    • Anybody who has resided in any country other than Canada for 6 months in a row in the past 4 years from the date you are signing your citizenship application should answer 'YES'.
    • This includes time you spent in your home country just before moving to Canada.
  • Who should answer 'No' to this?
    • If you did not spend 183 days in a row outside Canada in the past 4 years.
  • Who should (or should not) provide a police certificate?
    • The following is my understanding of who should submit police certificates. Whoever answers 'YES' above should either provide a PCC or an explanation as to why they aren't submitting their PCC.
    • A police certificate is only needed (or not needed) as demonstrated by the following examples. (NOTE: Country of origin is NOT the same as country of citizenship).
      • Example 1 -, Raj moved to Canada in June 2017. Assuming Raj signs the citizenship application on 09 October 2020, the "4-year period" would be from 08 October 2016 to 08 October 2020. Though Raj lived in India from 08 October 2016 to June 2017 (greater than 183 days), he does NOT have to provide a Police Certificate because he was in his country of origin immediately prior to establishing permanent residence. But he has to make an entry in the table and explain why he isn't providing a certificate - "Lived in country of origin immediately before establishing PR in Canada".
      • Example 2 - Let's assume that Raj (who is an Indian citizen), lived in the US from 08 October 2016 to June 2017). He applied and got Canadian PR when he was working in the US on H1-B visa. Even in this case, Raj does NOT have to produce a police certificate because US was his country of origin just before establishing his PR in Canada. But he has to make an entry in the table and explain why he isn't providing a certificate - "Lived in country of origin immediately before establishing PR in Canada".
      • Example 3 - Joseph landed in Canada as a PR in May 2017. Before he landed, he was an Indian citizen living in India. He remained in Canada till August 2017. He moved to Singapore for work related reasons from September 2017 to May 2018. He returned back to Canada in late May 2018. When applying for citizenship in October 2020, Joseph MUST submit a Police Certificate for Singapore but NOT for India. He has to make an entry in the table and explain why he isn't providing a certificate for India - "Lived in country of origin immediately before establishing PR in Canada". For Singapore, he needs to write something like "Please see attached Police Certificate for Singapore".
  • IRCC has worded it like this "Note: If you were in your country or territory of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada and this time falls within this four (4) year period, you are not required to provide a police certificate. Please indicate this in the explanation box."
  • If you have to submit a PCC:
    • Read How to get a police certificate.
    • The police certificate should have been issued:
      • After the last time you were in that country or territory (if you never visited that country again) OR
      • No more than 6 months before the date you sign your citizenship application
  • Note: Rules surrounding PCCs are different for minors. If you have minors in your application, check the Citizenship Instruction Guide for Minors
    • For minors, PCC is mandatory for all countries where they have lived in for a TOTAL (doesn't have to be in a row) of 183 days or more while the child was 14 years of age or older during the four 4 years immediately before the date of the minor's application.
I am in the process of applying for citizenship, was looking for help regarding the question about police certificate, this post really helps.

success12345

May 7, 2015
I have a specific query regarding Question 13. Tell us which countries you have held status in, and exactly what status you held or currently hold

- I got my USA B1/B2 visa in 2017 for 10 years.
- My passport having this visa got stolen in 2019, The same was informed to the US embassy and the visa was cancelled.
- So, I will list this visa and will mention its expiry as 2027?
- If I do so, I am planning to clarify this point in the LoE as well.

Please advice.

shraybhatnagar

Aug 12, 2014
Visa Office......
NDVO, Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
About to be filled
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
NA
Hi Everyone!

I wanted to share something really weird.

My date for Oath of Citizenship was Feb 20th, and then I had a ghost update, and it got moved to March 13th.

Has this happened to anyone before?

kmsbytes

Star Member
Apr 22, 2018
Category........
Other
Hi, We are starting to create application for citizenship.
I was confused between online and offline mode. My kid is US citizen by birth and thus we weren't sure to apply for Canadian citizenship for her or not even though its allowed to be dual citizen

Is there any harm if we parents apply in online mode now (i assume online application saves a month or two) and later once we get citizenship, in case we see any value for her than we apply for Canadian citizenship alone for her after a year or two. Her PR card is valid till 2026

thanks

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi, We are starting to create application for citizenship.
I was confused between online and offline mode. My kid is US citizen by birth and thus we weren't sure to apply for Canadian citizenship for her or not even though its allowed to be dual citizen

Is there any harm if we parents apply in online mode now (i assume online application saves a month or two) and later once we get citizenship, in case we see any value for her than we apply for Canadian citizenship alone for her after a year or two. Her PR card is valid till 2026

thanks
You can apply online without your kid. No issues in that.

You can also apply as a paper applicant together with your kid. You will all(kid included) get citizenship together.

There is no guarantee that if you apply online you will get your citizenship faster than if you do it via paper. AOR is a factor these days but overall speed will always be debatable.

Jaywalker

May 8, 2018
So I will be applying for citizenship next month (March 2023).
4 year history - Dates back to March 2019.

I was in India from Feb 2020 to Jan 2021. Now India was not my origin country before I became PR. I became PR in feb 2019. I was based in Singapore at that time. But at the time of PR application I have submitted India PCC as well. I am an Indian citizen.

so I am not sure if I need PCC from India again or not for citizenship application?