+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicants waiting for more than 2 years interested in Mandamus with a firm as a group meet here !!!

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
Those are rare cases that are way out of the norm in terms of processing or cases. There are many cases where nothing is done. The story just indicates that IRCC has been made aware of the case. If your MP has already gotten involved there isn’t much more that will come out of a media story and you don’t have a compelling story. You are able to travel with your current passport. Your life isn’t significantly being affected by not having citizenship at the moment except not being able to vote. If you couldn’t visit a dying parent because you didn’t have citizenship yet then that would be a story that may result in some action.
I may or may not have a compelling story, but with all the absurd responses from IRCC representatives I could probably give it a comical spin, people enjoy laughing at these things.

Reactions: krishere1982

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
I heard that UK was processing citizenship applications in 8 months during covid, and Australia in 14. IRCC just took several months of paid vacation instead, and they don't feel like they need to process backlog. As long as we toss 20% in the backlog pile, we're good.
I have a friend in the US. His American citizenship application also got done in 8 months during 2021.

Reactions: SeniorSpouse

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Since February, so not too awful. But my card expires in the end of this month.
When I applied for renewal, processing time was about 70 days, so I should have been safe but oh well.
Oh ok. It is better to apply for PR card renewal as soon as you can. I think you can apply 9 months before the PR card expiry date. I applied in 2022 Nov and it got processed fast. But then for PR card renewal, I don't think they look at anything other than the physical presence.

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
Oh ok. It is better to apply for PR card renewal as soon as you can. I think you can apply 9 months before the PR card expiry date. I applied in 2022 Nov and it got processed fast. But then for PR card renewal, I don't think they look at anything other than the physical presence.
Good to know. I read some reports on this forum of people applying 9 months ahead, but it was still not processed until it was about to expire.
And I guess I kept hoping that my citizenship application would get some progress next week the whole time...

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Good to know. I read some reports on this forum of people applying 9 months ahead, but it was still not processed until it was about to expire.
And I guess I kept hoping that my citizenship application would get some progress next week the whole time...
Yeah it is always best to keep the PR card and the home country passport renewed. We just can't depend on IRCC to process things on time.

When I applied for PR card renewal, there were cases of people waiting on a printer to get fixed to get their PR card printed and delivered!

Reactions: bas12

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
Well, I read the whole thread today. Looks like any communal action plans have died down.
If there will be more petitions, I'll sign.
In the meantime, I guess it is probably mandamus, and trying to get some detailed processing time data out of IRCC. If IRCC is not responsive, maybe I'll ask media to help request it from them.
I will probably try to give feedback to the MP office about this whole backlog issue as well if they ever reply to my messages again, but I am sure they all heard it a hundred times already.

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
I wouldn't say it is key, just one of the opinions. Another one said that this is the only thing that works.
But I guess IRCCs strategy of abandoning part of the applications has overloaded Federal Court, which is amusing.
Instead of asking IRCC to improve, they are talking about having a separate FC for immigration...

Reactions: johnjkjk

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
But I guess IRCCs strategy of abandoning part of the applications has overloaded Federal Court, which is amusing.
Instead of asking IRCC to improve, they are talking about having a separate FC for immigration...
Indeed, that's just ridiculous. I can understand final appeals to decisions, but mandamus for delayed applications shouldn't be required. The law needs to change to put an upper time limit on files. Say 2 years.

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
Indeed, that's just ridiculous. I can understand final appeals to decisions, but mandamus for delayed applications shouldn't be required. The law needs to change to put an upper time limit on files. Say 2 years.
Well, the main issue is the metric they are evaluated on is 80% processed within 12 months standard.
I am not too sure how this is calculated (from what date, etc), but apparently this is not a very good one for the functioning of the system.
It allows some dude to smile on TV looking like they saved everybody, while 10s of thousands, if not 100s are stuck dealing with stress and uncertainty about their status for years, suffering mental and economical consequences.

In the past few months I stopped recommending Canada to potential immigrants, since I wouldn't want someone to end up in a bad situation because of what I told them. Yet just one year ago I was arguing how transparent and easy to navigate Canadian immigration systems is. I guess my eyes now opened to the issues that were there all along :)

So, a better metric should be used, but I am not sure what would be efficient and at the same time flashy enough for the politicians to accept it, so that they can continue looking like they saved everybody on TV.

Reactions: johnjkjk

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Well, the main issue is the metric they are evaluated on is 80% processed within 12 months standard.
I am not too sure how this is calculated (from what date, etc), but apparently this is not a very good one for the functioning of the system.
It allows some dude to smile on TV looking like they saved everybody, while 10s of thousands, if not 100s are stuck dealing with stress and uncertainty about their status for years, suffering mental and economical consequences.

In the past few months I stopped recommending Canada to potential immigrants, since I wouldn't want someone to end up in a bad situation because of what I told them. Yet just one year ago I was arguing how transparent and easy to navigate Canadian immigration systems is. I guess my eyes now opened to the issues that were there all along :)

So, a better metric should be used, but I am not sure what would be efficient and at the same time flashy enough for the politicians to accept it, so that they can continue looking like they saved everybody on TV.
In the UK, processing targets are set as 95% routine, and citizenship is typically 6 months including an exam and fairly straightforward. In other words, they don't need to make people suffer needlessly.

In terms of obtaining temporary Visas and PR, Canada is still relatively easy, quick and cheap in most cases. But not citizenship. It's a political choice. They want workers and tax payers but don't want to give them the vote. Many are discouraged to become citizens. indeed fewer PR's are becoming citizens now, and some chose to leave. Many get stuck into a life of mortgage repayments, Canadian born children/spouses and other such limiting burdens, without which many would otherwise flee for Australia or such warmer climate.

I want to become a citizen rather than flee but If I knew what I now know, I’d have migrated to another English speaking country.

Last edited:
Reactions: bas12

batman12345

Star Member
Jun 24, 2018
Hi everyone,

I need some advice on my case here. A bit of background about my case. I applied in Dec 2021 and received test invite in Sep 2022. I completed my Test in Oct 2022. Since then everything is in progress. I called IRCC several months ago and they said that my Criminality is Passed but my Security is in progress since end of Aug 2022.

Just recently I realized that in physical presence calculator in the absences section I missed to put in one of my travels and I also didn’t fill out another trip correctly (dates or okay though) but when I recalculated I am still above 1095 days by like 20 days. I have all the stamps in my passport too. I called IRCC and they said if they didn’t request anything from you then your file is in process and no need to submit a new Physical presence through the web form. If the officer needs anything they will reach out. I am at 18 months now since application sent and in my 10th month of Security in progress. IRCC has not asked me for any additional documents at all so far. Anyways, could that minor mistake in the physical calculator be causing the delay? Also can I file for Mandamus in like 4 or 5 months if security is still in progress? Thanks

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
Hi everyone,

I need some advice on my case here. A bit of background about my case. I applied in Dec 2021 and received test invite in Sep 2022. I completed my Test in Oct 2022. Since then everything is in progress. I called IRCC several months ago and they said that my Criminality is Passed but my Security is in progress since end of Aug 2022.

Just recently I realized that in physical presence calculator in the absences section I missed to put in one of my travels and I also didn’t fill out another trip correctly (dates or okay though) but when I recalculated I am still above 1095 days by like 20 days. I have all the stamps in my passport too. I called IRCC and they said if they didn’t request anything from you then your file is in process and no need to submit a new Physical presence through the web form. If the officer needs anything they will reach out. I am at 18 months now since application sent and in my 10th month of Security in progress. IRCC has not asked me for any additional documents at all so far. Anyways, could that minor mistake in the physical calculator be causing the delay? Also can I file for Mandamus in like 4 or 5 months if security is still in progress? Thanks
I would proactively submit a webform with an updated and *correct* calculation of your Physical Presence. Add a letter with an explanation that you missed it. If you are doing Mandamus, talk to the lawyer and follow their advice