+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

Saph

Feb 17, 2014
Enginer315 said:
Hi guys,

I landed Toronto airport on the way back from Denmark. It took less than 10 min and officer didnt ask about bank statement and she said it will take 8 weeks to get card.

How much time it normally takes to get PR card??

Cheers,
Congrats :)

wangjinwei

Star Member
Apr 23, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2014
AOR Received.
18-02-2015; 2nd line updated May 28
Med's Request
29-06-2015
Med's Done....
18-07-2015; 3rd line:medical received
Interview........
09-01-2015; Decision Made
wangjinwei said:
Thanks. In summary, perfection_88, zorroo, farahnz, ojohn22, lavalsong, ehsan.isf and wangjinwei are still waiting for PPR. Please tell when get PPR.
Anymore got the fourth line (Decision made) before PPR?

richard1234

Sep 1, 2014
Saph said:
Hi Guys,

I am applying for Medicare card. Do you know wether I need PR card or Co PR is enough? Thanks.
Hi Saph,
Happy to hear that. You did not mention or I missed it of your landing message. But Congratulations... Big big Congrach :) CoPR is the proof of your permanent resident status. So you can do everything except it is not a travel document. I think, two main things we need to do, Apply for Health Card at Service Ontario (there is 3 month of waiting time, so earlier is better) and change of SIN number (Service Canada).

Can anyone tell what else we need to do if we need to?

Thanks.

Saph

Feb 17, 2014
richard1234 said:
Hi Saph,
Happy to hear that. You did not mention or I missed it of your landing message. But Congratulations... Big big Congrach :) CoPR is the proof of your permanent resident status. So you can do everything except it is not a travel document. I think, two main things we need to do, Apply for Health Card at Service Ontario (there is 3 month of waiting time, so earlier is better) and change of SIN number (Service Ontario).

Can anyone tell what else we need to do if we need to?

Thanks.
Hello Richard,

I appreciate your nice explanations.
I received my passport back including immigrant VISA and Co-PR on Monday. I want to delay my landing though, have a ticket to go visit my home country on August 15, 2015, and will be back to Canada on September 17, 2015.
My immigrant VISA is Valid till October 10, 2015.

So you think will be okay delaying the landing?

So Can I apply for Heath Card and SIN number before "landing"?

Saph

Feb 17, 2014
Viva2014 said:
Do you mean OHIP and its equivalents in other states?
Hi VIVA,

yes, Health card. Can I apply for that with Co-PR before landing? (as I explained in Richards explanation)?

PhD2014

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 2nd, 2014
AOR Received.
PER jan 13th, 2015
IELTS Request
RPRF March 31st, 2015
Med's Request
April 1st, 2015
Med's Done....
April 17th, 2015
Interview........
Decision made on May 27th, 2015
Passport Req..
June 10th, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
June 16th, 2015
LANDED..........
June 22nd, 2015
Saph congrats ;D

No, you become a permanent residence of CANADA after landing. Your CoPR must be signed by an immigration officer in a border or a CIC office for you to officially become a PR. Therefore, you must apply for OHIP and change your SIN after landing.

Saph said:
Hello Richard,

I appreciate your nice explanations.
I received my passport back including immigrant VISA and Co-PR on Monday. I want to delay my landing though, have a ticket to go visit my home country on August 15, 2015, and will be back to Canada on September 17, 2015.
My immigrant VISA is Valid till October 10, 2015.

So you think will be okay delaying the landing?

So Can I apply for Heath Card and SIN number before "landing"?

richard1234

Sep 1, 2014
PhD2014 said:
Saph congrats ;D

No, you become a permanent residence of CANADA after landing. Your CoPR must be signed by an immigration officer in a border or a CIC office for you to officially become a PR. Therefore, you must apply for OHIP and change your SIN after landing.
Moreover, With PhD2014, you must satisfy the minimum residency requirement in Ontario, which is 5 months in FIRST 6 months. So it is better you apply Health Card after you land. There is a waiting period of 3 months.

Enginer315

Star Member
Jul 17, 2012
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottowa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2014
Nomination.....
11-02-2015
AOR Received.
14-05-2015
IELTS Request
submitted with application
Med's Request
15-05-2015
Med's Done....
19-05-2015
Interview........
4th Line (DM): 29-05-2015
Passport Req..
03-07-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-07-2015
LANDED..........
26-07-2015
Hi guys,

My application status is "Complete " with the 5th line as "You entered Canada at the Lester XXX Airport, on YYY, 2015 and became a Permanent Resident."

Thanks everyone for help and support. This forum is really helpful. Good luck who are expecting MR/PR/Landing.

Cheers,

Viva2014

Jun 10, 2014
Saph said:
Hi VIVA,

yes, Health card. Can I apply for that with Co-PR before landing? (as I explained in Richards explanation)?
Yes, you can apply. However, after landing, you need to inform them again and probably they will issue a new health card for you.

My information is based on OHIP. In Ontario by having PER letter, you can apply for OHIP.

Viva2014

Jun 10, 2014
Enginer315 said:
Hi guys,

My application status is "Complete " with the 5th line as "You entered Canada at the Lester XXX Airport, on YYY, 2015 and became a Permanent Resident."

Thanks everyone for help and support. This forum is really helpful. Good luck who are expecting MR/PR/Landing.

Cheers,
Congrats man... :)

Saph

Feb 17, 2014
Enginer315 said:
Hi guys,

Cheers,
Awwww great,congrats :) ;)

farazprok

Apr 21, 2013
Hello folks,

I would like to share my landing experience at Carway border with you guys. I live in Edmonton, Alberta. On Thursday I received my passport back from CIC with CoPR letter and everything looked good. Then I reserved a car from Enterprise for the drive down to the Carway border on Friday morning. I chose Carway because almost all of my friends have landed there within last 4 years. Thursday night my friend called me and told me that one of his friends went to Carway weeks ago and they sent him back and told him that you have to book an appointment with Canada Place and do your landing there not at the border. Since I was prepared for the trip, I came to this conclusion to go no matter whether I can land or not. In case not be able to land, I thought that it might be a day trip. Anyway, I headed to the border Friday morning and got there about 4:30 in the afternoon. The lineup on both sides was long as it was beginning of the weekend. Us side everything went normal and got that refusal letter and went to the Canada side. The Canadian officer was a really nice guy but so exhausted and sick of us, people who can land in town with a simple appointment but rather drive 6-7 hours to the border. His problem was that there are only 2 officers doing the entire Canadian side border including immigration. After hearing that, I totally agreed with him as they had to deal with so many people in line. Anyway, he told me that you have to wait for amount of time that I don’t know how long it would be. And once the traffic at the border gets a bit slower I will process your application. I waited for about 1.5 – 2 hours there just sitting and looking at wall and checking my watch. Lucky me, traffic got really slow as he could do my paper works. He told me that if traffic didn’t become slow you would have to wait for about 3-4 hours like the last person I did immigration paper works for. Anyhow, he told me to let everyone of my friends who is going to do their landing know that for immigration landing you have to book an appointment with Canada Place in Edmonton or Calgary and do not go to Carway border. Thus, my suggestion to all my friends living in Alberta is:

PLEASE DO NOT GO TO CARWAY BORDER FOR IMMIGRATION LANDING (PERMANENT RESIDENCY LANDING) AS THEY MAY NEED TO SEND YOU BACK.

For your information, here is my timeline:
Application received to Sydney: Nov 21, 2014
First line update on ECAS on Jan. 30, 2015
Application file number received via email on Feb 14, 2015
They have started processing my application on April 29, 2015
Medical request and permanent residency fund for $490 received on May 4, 2015
$490 paid on May 4, 2015
Medical (e-medical) done on May 16, 2015
Third line appeared on ECAS on May 27, 2015
Additional information request email received on May 27, 2015 (based on my experience this is only for Iranians)
Additional information sent via email and mail on June 1, 2015
Ready for Visa email received on July 17, 2015
Passport sent to CIC on July 17, 2015 via Canada Post xpress
Fourth line appeared as Decision Made on ECAS on July 18, 2015
I don’t know when my passport got there as the Canada Post online system still says that my package is out for delivery in Ottawa. My return package was activated on July 29, 2015
Passport received from CIC on July 30, 2015
Landed on July 31, 2015
Nationality: Iranian
NOC code: 4012 (4 years PhD RA and graduated in Nov 2014)

I didn’t want to post this but the officer asked me to tell others in same situation that DO NOT GOT TO CARWAY BORDER.

Thanks a lot guys for sharing part of your life with others which definitely helps people in this situation feel better and relieved.
Good Luck everyone.