+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

Sab479

Star Member
Apr 4, 2011
Hi to All,
I have applied under Phd stream in June 2014, today I got and email from CIC with following

"This is in reference to your application for permanent residence in Canada. In order for us to continue the processing of your application, we require the following documents:
1) Employment Reference Letter: Please provide a letter of reference from [****Names of employers******] indicating hours
worked per week for every position you held with these employers. This must be received at this office by: 2015/01/01.

2) > Funds, proof: Please provide updated evidence of funds which are completely available, transferrable and unencumbered by debt or other obligations.
Evidence of account activity for the past six months must also be submitted.To find out the amount of money you need to support your family size of 3 persons, please refer to: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp
This must be received at this office by: 2015/01/01.

"
Here are my questions

1) Is it enough to ask my previous employers to only include number of hours worked per week to the reference letters that they already have sent to me or I need to update those letters altogether and need to add more information

2) I have around $12000 in my account as POF but as a family of three I need to show around $18,097, I can borrow remaining money from someone. On the other hand after I applied for PR, I got postgraduate work permit and now I am also working in Canada and has a full time permanent job. Is borrowing money gona affect my chances or the visa officer will consider my job and exempt me from POF.

I will be very thankful for any help in this regard.

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please update the reference letter and include all duties, lead statement, salary, number of hours and everything CIC is asking for.

Please find out how to get more money, ask your parents to lend you some. If you submit bank statements with only 12K, please be prepared for a rejection.

Please do not use Canada Post to send your additional documents.

Best,

Sab479 said:
Hi to All,
I have applied under Phd stream in June 2014, today I got and email from CIC with following

"This is in reference to your application for permanent residence in Canada. In order for us to continue the processing of your application, we require the following documents:
1) Employment Reference Letter: Please provide a letter of reference from [****Names of employers******] indicating hours
worked per week for every position you held with these employers. This must be received at this office by: 2015/01/01.

2) > Funds, proof: Please provide updated evidence of funds which are completely available, transferrable and unencumbered by debt or other obligations.
Evidence of account activity for the past six months must also be submitted.To find out the amount of money you need to support your family size of 3 persons, please refer to: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp

"
Here are my questions

1) Is it enough to ask my previous employers to only include number of hours worked per week to the reference letters that they already have sent to me or I need to update those letters altogether and need to add more information

2) I have around $12000 in my account as POF but as a family of three I need to show around $18,097, I can borrow remaining money from someone. On the other hand after I applied for PR, I got postgraduate work permit and now I am also working in Canada and has a full time permanent job. Is borrowing money gona affect my chances or the visa officer will consider my job and exempt me from POF.

cantaloupe

Star Member
Jul 25, 2014
Ontario
1. You should update the previous letters if they were already complete and had the necessary details. I too think It's safer to reiterate the lead statement and duties (don't add anything that may look inconsistent with the original documents. they may think you've been misrepresenting something.)

2. Working in Canada full-time would exempt you from showing settlement funds only if you had a valid "offer of permanent employment" in Canada. Can you perhaps show evidence of other accounts from your home country for instance?

Sab479 said:
Hi to All,

"
Here are my questions

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When in June did you apply?

Sab479 said:
Hi to All,

"
Here are my questions

sebastianderp

Star Member
Aug 4, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-09-2014
Nomination.....
07-01-2015
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
23-02-2015
Med's Done....
03-03-2015
Passport Req..
13-05-2015 (DM 15-05-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
20-05-2015 (Passport back on 28-05-2015)
LANDED..........
31-05-2015
uwaterloo said:
Will be your turn in the following days ;D
Thanks my friend.

sebastianderp

Star Member
Aug 4, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-09-2014
Nomination.....
07-01-2015
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
23-02-2015
Med's Done....
03-03-2015
Passport Req..
13-05-2015 (DM 15-05-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
20-05-2015 (Passport back on 28-05-2015)
LANDED..........
31-05-2015
Viva2014 said:
As our friend said, you will get charged soon. The latest CC charged is for 15th Sep. applicant.
I used money order though... so hopefully before Xmas.

-derp

Sab479

Star Member
Apr 4, 2011
cantaloupe said:
1. You should update the previous letters if they were already complete and had the necessary details. I too think It's safer to reiterate the lead statement and duties (don't add anything that may look inconsistent with the original documents. they may think you've been misrepresenting something.)

2. Working in Canada full-time would exempt you from showing settlement funds only if you had a valid "offer of permanent employment" in Canada. Can you perhaps show evidence of other accounts from your home country for instance?
Is it Ok if I sell some jewelry, what kind of proof I have to show apart from a receipt from buyer.

Dark_Diamond

Nov 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC_Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Sab479 said:
Is it Ok if I sell some jewelry, what kind of proof I have to show apart from a receipt from buyer.
Could you please tell us that if these documents were asked before or after medical? I mean have you been asked for medical before or this or this is your firet corespondance with CIC?

Sab479

Star Member
Apr 4, 2011
Dark_Diamond said:
Could you please tell us that if these documents were asked before or after medical? I mean have you been asked for medical before or this or this is your firet corespondance with CIC?
This is my first correspondence with CIC. I have not received a medical call so far.

Dark_Diamond

Nov 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC_Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Sab479 said:
This is my first correspondence with CIC. I have not received a medical call so far.
Please prepare the required fund. I was rejected once because of insufficient fund.

zorroo

Apr 1, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sab479 said:
Hi to All,

"
Here are my questions

Can you share the draft of you first letter with us? Did you mention this information in your first letters?

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
ojohn22 said:
Yes. For all avoidance of doubt, RA/TA no longer works for FSW.
The criteria is quite cumbersome and convoluted to read. But will get through it in a few days.

I hope all PhD applicants with only RA/TA experience are successful in the Pre-Express entry rules, otherwise....
We actually don't know about that yet. TA/RA experience may or may not be accepted anymore, but I think it will still be accepted as it is still technically considered a skill level A.

The way I understand it, there may still be PhD stream under FSWP. It's just that, now, let's say you get more than 67 points under the PhD stream, that will only entitle you for a place within the Express Entry pool. Once you get onto the pool, you will be ranked against all other applicants WITHOUT job offers or nominations from provinces.

So, to get PR under the PhD stream, you will not only have to satisfy the requirements for the PhD stream, you will also have to compete against others within the express entry pool under the new CRS system.

If you are lucky enough to get a job offer, or a nomination from a province, then you will get enough additional points to be guaranteed an invite, but without it, you will have to be among the highest ranked candidates to even have the chance for an invitation (since you can only get up to a max of 600 points within the new CRS).

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
So let me just try once again to summarize how the PhD stream can exist after Express Entry (assuming you don't have nomination from a province or a job offer yet). The following are my interpretations of what has been posted on the CIC website (I'm not a legal expert, so take it as it is):

1. You need to satisfy ALL of the requirements for the PhD stream (including the minimum work requirements, language skills, educational credential, 67 points or above)
2. Once you satisfy ALL of the requirements of the PhD stream, you can then get onto the Express Entry pool for consideration, to be ranked against other candidates)
3. You will then be assigned points under the new CRS (comprehensive ranking system), where, WITHOUT a job offer or a nomination from a province, you can only max out at 600 (whereas with a job offer or a PNP, you can max out at 1200)
4. Now, out of those without job offers and without PNP, they will be ranked against each other, and CIC will only invite those with the highest points, irrespective of when they enter the pool (so it's no longer based on first-come-first-serve)
5. If you are among the top performers when it comes to the number of points, you will then be invited to apply for PR

So for those who can only qualify for PhD stream next year, do not lose hope yet. Until we know for sure whether the PhD stream will be closed, you may still have a chance. Obviously if you can qualify this year, you are advised to apply the soonest you can.

Viva2014

Jun 10, 2014
cantaloupe said:
yes you're right, I hadn't seen that link and relied on the response my friend said had received from the call centre. probably she just got it wrong.

From the express entry details it looks like the min. criteria (now the "pool entry criteria" ) have not changed. is that right? Because if you click on the link it takes you to the criteria already in place.
The criteria might not have been changed but the way your score is calculated is different this time and it is more difficult now to get high score.