+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

absolute_boy97

Star Member
Feb 14, 2013
In my letter of attestation, they have put a partially abbreviated version of my name (like part of the first name and part of the family name) . I have a very long name! Do you think this could cause problem?

cantaloupe

Star Member
Jul 25, 2014
Ontario
absolute_boy97 said:
Thanks , so Can Use the express option of Canada Post using this address?
Yes, for express Canada post, or FedEx (or any other service that takes the recipient's signature), use the one which has the street name, instead of a PO box number.

absolute_boy97

Star Member
Feb 14, 2013
cantaloupe said:
Yes, for express Canada post, or FedEx (or any other service that takes the recipient's signature), use the one which has the street name, instead of a PO box number.
Thanks , although I think we should only write "PhD category" instead of "NOC Category, Offer of Arranged Employment category or PhD category" since on the guideline it says use this for all categories (the other two and the Phd category). Maybe I am wrong?!

cantaloupe

Star Member
Jul 25, 2014
Ontario
absolute_boy97 said:
Thanks , although I think we should only write "PhD category" instead of "NOC Category, Offer of Arranged Employment category or PhD category" since on the guideline it says use this for all categories (the other two and the Phd category). Maybe I am wrong?!
Don't need to write your NOC, just put a big "PhD Category" or "PhD Stream" on the package so they get it to the right department with the CIO :)

Neilneil2001

Sep 27, 2014
Hi all,
Can somebody please help me with this issue:

I want to use my TA/RA as my 1 year work experience, can I use only TA (not RA)?!
In the letter I should ask my university to include all main duties of NOC 2011? In that case the NOC
Explained TA and RA at the same page, so I need to have main duties of both TA AND RA?!

Can anybody kindly give a sample of a successful TA/ RA work experience letter please?! I am so frustrated :(

absolute_boy97

Star Member
Feb 14, 2013
In my letter of attestation from university, they have put a partially abbreviated version of my name (like part of the first name and part of the family name) . I have a very long name! Do you think this could cause problem?

PhdStream

Aug 7, 2013
Neilneil2001 said:
Hi all,
Can somebody please help me with this issue:

I want to use my TA/RA as my 1 year work experience, can I use only TA (not RA)?!
In the letter I should ask my university to include all main duties of NOC 2011? In that case the NOC
Explained TA and RA at the same page, so I need to have main duties of both TA AND RA?!

Can anybody kindly give a sample of a successful TA/ RA work experience letter please?! I am so frustrated :(
My experience may be helpful for you.

1. I do not have any TA experience. In my reference letter only duties of RA were mentioned. (Your case is exactly opposite). So in my opinion you reference letter (from wherever you can get it university or professor(s)), having only TA duties is fine, as long as they are consistent with lead statements and eligibility requirements of FSW.
However I have 3+ years of experience as an Engineer which I used. CIO did accepted my RAship but I am not sure about Ottawa
2. Here is the sample reference letters https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rRI4xdVpgbh8Ko1p5S9KvwXf7B7UuTCKLBpKL2xasps/edit

sgtrigger

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sorry I was not active on the forum for a really long time. We finally landed on September 24, 2014 at the CIC office. Everything went off smoothly and they did not ask for any extra docs. Please update my status...i had applied in Feb 2013...:)

I had an issue with my COPR previously as they pasted the wrong photograph on my COPR. The whole process of emailing them back, getting a response, and then resending all the docs and passport to them took took almost 3 months.

Also, I found out one more thing that I had previously asked on the forum and people did not have an answer to. If you have your COPR and visa stamped on your passport, and have not yet landed, you can still leave the country and come back as many times you want on your valid study or work permit...The border officer told me that until I decide when I wish to land, I can keep using my study or work permit to enter and exit Canada. I just need to land before the date on the COPR and visa issued to me...I entered and exited canada twice and they were fine with it...just let them know about it and they might send you to the other immigration office where you can explain this to them and they will be fine with it...

Just wanted to let you guys know so if anyone has any back-to-back travel plans then they can always land after they come back from their second trip...

Also, Thanks to this forum and to all you guys for all the help...without your help, I am pretty sure I would have got rejected...

Thanks all...;-)

RA_toronto

Star Member
Jun 3, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-09-2013
AOR Received.
06-12-2013
File Transfer...
06-12-2013
Med's Request
14-07-2014
Med's Done....
16-07-2014
Passport Req..
12-08-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-09-2014
LANDED..........
08-10-2014
Congrats! What are the steps to take for landing at a CIC office? I cannot find any info online and hot line doesn't answer phones due to high volume nowadays.

Thanks!

sgtrigger said:
Sorry I was not active on the forum for a really long time. We finally landed on September 24, 2014 at the CIC office. Everything went off smoothly and they did not ask for any extra docs. Please update my status...i had applied in Feb 2013...:)

I had an issue with my COPR previously as they pasted the wrong photograph on my COPR. The whole process of emailing them back, getting a response, and then resending all the docs and passport to them took took almost 3 months.

Also, I found out one more thing that I had previously asked on the forum and people did not have an answer to. If you have your COPR and visa stamped on your passport, and have not yet landed, you can still leave the country and come back as many times you want on your valid study or work permit...The border officer told me that until I decide when I wish to land, I can keep using my study or work permit to enter and exit Canada. I just need to land before the date on the COPR and visa issued to me...I entered and exited canada twice and they were fine with it...just let them know about it and they might send you to the other immigration office where you can explain this to them and they will be fine with it...

Just wanted to let you guys know so if anyone has any back-to-back travel plans then they can always land after they come back from their second trip...

Also, Thanks to this forum and to all you guys for all the help...without your help, I am pretty sure I would have got rejected...

Thanks all...;-)

superstring

Dec 9, 2012
Hi Fid0,

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation. When you say the letter from CIC that allows a representative to inquire about your case, do you mean IMM 5475e? Thanks.

Fid0 said:
Hi superstring,

Yes, you can apply for OHIP card for yourself and your spouse as long as you have lived here for more than 3 month and are eligible to apply for your PR, which is the case for all of us.
This is new for Service Ontario so they simply don't know the procedure and depending on the person behind their hot line they respond differently even after confirming with their center. I've got my OHIP in 5 minutes, the clerk called their hot line and typed some code on the system and the system confirms me as eligible. My friend with the exact situation in the same branch was told to appeal and again got his OHIP after a while.

For spouses, don't even bother persuading them or ask for rejection. Simply prepare a cover letter and expalin your situation and mention that you have applied for PR and your spouse is in your file. Add your PER letter, a proof of your address, sign the letter from CIC that allows a representative to inquire about your case (without writing their contact info) for yourself as main applicant and your spouse as dependant (1 form to fill, two times, once for each person). Send all this to OHIP review committee and wait for their initial response. They may ask for more document but at the end, will provide you some documents and specially a letter which is sufficient to get OHIP from any service ontario.

It may take up to 6-8 weeks for all this to be done, but I assure you, you are eligible to have OHIP for yourself as principal application and all your dependants regardless of their work experience, having job, work permit and so on...

About asking from CIC for a confirmation letter of existance of your spouse in application, I tried several times without success. I was told to wait until an officer be assigned to my case and then was told that there is no such form they could provide and so on. So, I would simply mail the document to review committe and wait instead of bothering CIC for this.

Oh, and the OHIP cards will be issued for one year and you can extend it afterwards...

I hope I could help :)
Cheers and good luck!

erfan1985

Feb 10, 2013
Should we include "Right of Permanent Residence Fee=$490" at the time we send the docs to CIO or we wait until they ask us to pay? Is there any form to be filled out on that matter at the time of application?

sebastianderp

Star Member
Aug 4, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-09-2014
Nomination.....
07-01-2015
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
23-02-2015
Med's Done....
03-03-2015
Passport Req..
13-05-2015 (DM 15-05-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
20-05-2015 (Passport back on 28-05-2015)
LANDED..........
31-05-2015
erfan1985 said:
Should we include "Right of Permanent Residence Fee=$490" at the time we send the docs to CIO or we wait until they ask us to pay? Is there any form to be filled out on that matter at the time of application?
We don't include that RPRF with our application and wait until requested. It will usually be shortly before or after the medical request.

The only form that I submitted is the Fee Payment Form.

-derp

Nadees

May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2013
Med's Done....
15-08-2014
Passport Req..
28-09-2014
Dear All,

I applied for PR about an year ago under the PhD stream. Finally, after submission of medicals, etc, we (I and my wife) have now been requested for passport submission. We both are currently residing in Canada and expecting our first baby in the second week of October (baby will be born in Canada). The letter I received from CPC-CTD-Ottawa, says the following:

STEP 1: STATUS CHANGE (If none of these conditions applies to you, you may proceed to STEP 2)
Has your family composition changed since our last correspondence?
· Have you married or divorced?
· Have you given birth or adopted a child?
· Do you intend to get married or divorced prior to becoming a permanent resident?
· Do you intend to give birth or adopt a child prior to becoming a permanent resident?
· Have you changed your contact information: e-mail address/mailing address/telephone number?

If any of these conditions apply, you must inform CPC-O immediately.

As per my understanding, being born in Canada, our baby will be a Canadian citizen by birth. Therefore, I think I do not need to inform CPC that we are expecting the baby as it is irrelevant to baby's immigration/citizenship status. So, should I go ahead and submit our passports prior to the birth (This is STEP-2)? Your suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Nadees

CEC12

Star Member
Jul 26, 2013
RA_toronto said:
Congrats! What are the steps to take for landing at a CIC office? I cannot find any info online and hot line doesn't answer phones due to high volume nowadays.

Thanks!
Yes, please we need some info regarding this.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
Nadees said:
Dear All,

I applied for PR about an year ago under the PhD stream. Finally, after submission of medicals, etc, we (I and my wife) have now been requested for passport submission. We both are currently residing in Canada and expecting our first baby in the second week of October (baby will be born in Canada). The letter I received from CPC-CTD-Ottawa, says the following:

STEP 1: STATUS CHANGE (If none of these conditions applies to you, you may proceed to STEP 2)
Has your family composition changed since our last correspondence?
· Have you married or divorced?
· Have you given birth or adopted a child?
· Do you intend to get married or divorced prior to becoming a permanent resident?
· Do you intend to give birth or adopt a child prior to becoming a permanent resident?
· Have you changed your contact information: e-mail address/mailing address/telephone number?

If any of these conditions apply, you must inform CPC-O immediately.

As per my understanding, being born in Canada, our baby will be a Canadian citizen by birth. Therefore, I think I do not need to inform CPC that we are expecting the baby as it is irrelevant to baby's immigration/citizenship status. So, should I go ahead and submit our passports prior to the birth (This is STEP-2)? Your suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Nadees
Is the baby going to be born before you do your landing procedure? If the answer is yes, you have to tell them that you may have a baby before your land or that could be interpreted as misrepresentation.