+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

Curious2

Jan 7, 2013
TyrusX said:
I'm still around, I just had a terrible terrible summer and I am too busy to participate more actively. I haven't gotten my PR card yet and it's been more than 80 days since I landed.
It's 80 days for me and I haven't got it either.

kaziahmmed

Mar 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
4012 and 2142
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20th June, 2012
Doc's Request.
17th January, 2013
Nomination.....
3rd August, 2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
TyrusX said:
I'm still around, I just had a terrible terrible summer and I am too busy to participate more actively. I haven't gotten my PR card yet and it's been more than 80 days since I landed.
Sorry to know ur situation. Hope u will overcome all these very soon. Is it very urgent to have the PR card, sorry I don't have any idea. I was just thinking if u don't have any plan to go outside of Canada u dont really need the PR card, may be I am wrong. I don't know what other purposes. Take care man and keep in touch with ur convenient.

kaziahmmed

Mar 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
4012 and 2142
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20th June, 2012
Doc's Request.
17th January, 2013
Nomination.....
3rd August, 2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
sarsanballa said:
So guys,
My application reached CIO on 20130619, The PER was issued on 20130910, CC was on 20130910 as well.
U ARE SUPERMAN :)

erfan1985

Feb 10, 2013
kg.jadu said:
erfan1985:

Some time ago I wrote two posts in this thread (http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/applicant-from-phd-program-after-5-nov-2011-connect-here-to-get-status-t87348.0.html;msg2181904#msg2181904 and http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/applicant-from-phd-program-after-5-nov-2011-connect-here-to-get-status-t87348.0.html;msg2446968#msg2446968) which might answer some of your questions. All of us do research that counts towards our PhD, but also becomes a part of our adviser's portfolio, and from this prospective what we do is valid RA. As to where is that "divide", it's hard to say---I think it is up to you and your adviser to decide. Usually people here claim <20 hours per week.

Also, I am not sure if this is what you were asking but to qualify under NOC 4012 as a "Post-secondary teaching and research assistant" you have to prove that you were doing research and assisting a faculty memner. If you don't show it, they will refuse your application as lacking work experience.

As for the source of income, it does not matter if it is taxable or non-taxable---I think it was asbereth who pointed out that the definition of employment does not require that your salary be taxable. From this prospective, scholarships are a valid source of income.

Hope that helps.
Thanks. It was helpful.
But what would the title of job be in that case? They can't write "he worked as an RA/TA..."
Since the school is full time they can't write 20 hours a week! I'm supposed to do full time research.
Do you have an example of this kind of letter which has been accepted by the officer?

kg.jadu

Star Member
Apr 25, 2012
erfan1985 said:
But what would the title of job be in that case? They can't write "he worked as an RA/TA..."
Since the school is full time they can't write 20 hours a week! I'm supposed to do full time research.
Do you have an example of this kind of letter which has been accepted by the officer?
Yes, sure. Check out my signature, there is a link to the collection of successful letters of reference.

sia_kb8

Star Member
Feb 4, 2013
sarsanballa said:
So guys,
My application reached CIO on 20130619, The PER was issued on 20130910, CC was on 20130910 as well.
Congrats! You are the only one so far after May to have received PER.

mkrp21

Star Member
Mar 13, 2012
TyrusX said:
Hi TyrusX and Curious2,
Call CIC call-center and ask about your card, whether is has been sent or not. In my case, they sent the card after 68 days but did not add my apartment number in the address. I called them and corrected the address. Apparently, CIC sends PR card to the address written by the border agent at the time of landing. Somehow, the border agent did not enter my Apt number in the system. Thus my card never reached to me until I corrected the addresses. I called them back again after 2 weeks when they received the returned card. I asked them to send the card again. Finally, I received my card after 100 days.

I hope it helps.

Curious2

Jan 7, 2013
mkrp21 said:
Hi TyrusX and Curious2,
Call CIC call-center and ask about your card, whether is has been sent or not.
Thanks, I just called them and they said they were still processing it!!! Apparently, it takes longer these days. They also increased the processing time to 75 days, it was 72 yesterday!

sia_kb8

Star Member
Feb 4, 2013
I just found my returned application in the mail. My credit card declined because CIO hadn't attached my new payment form in time. I had to change my CC because of fraud...

I have to resubmit now. Do you guys recommend getting another experience letter? At this point I can claim 3 full years of PhD (as opposed to 2y9m in the previous letter).

beh467

May 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sia_kb8 said:
I just found my returned application in the mail. My credit card declined because CIO hadn't attached my new payment form in time. I had to change my CC because of fraud...

I have to resubmit now. Do you guys recommend getting another experience letter? At this point I can claim 3 full years of PhD (as opposed to 2y9m in the previous letter).
Since you can get more points if you update your experience letter, it is better to update it.
Just be careful if you want to claim full-time RA work. I remember CIO rejected one in this forum recently which had claimed full-time RA.

kaziahmmed

Mar 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
4012 and 2142
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20th June, 2012
Doc's Request.
17th January, 2013
Nomination.....
3rd August, 2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
sarsanballa said:
Thanks man. :) Im pretty sure that you will also hear something really good soon.
This soon is not seems like soon man :(. Its almost 16 months no MR yet how frustrating, even passing the eligibility, criminality.........

ak0512

Apr 25, 2013
It's better to pay through money order, even though it might cost you money but it's safer.

sia_kb8 said:

proclivity

Star Member
Feb 16, 2013
Hi guys,

It has been more than a month since we heard the latest MR post. What is CPP-Ottawa doing? Is the frustrating strike still ongoing and no one is working on FSW cases? How long will this mess keep going? :mad:

dj2009

Mar 1, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised if they want to get rid of another backlog of 300,000 in a few years! :D

proclivity said:
Hi guys,

It has been more than a month since we heard the latest MR post. What is CPP-Ottawa doing? Is the frustrating strike still ongoing and no one is working on FSW cases? How long will this mess keep going? :mad: