+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

beh467

May 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aidina said:
One other thing, there is a note on my CAIPS made by an officer from Sydney stating that PA appears to meet MI4 minimum requirements. "Appears" here show that, I believe, they (i.e. Ottawa people) are lawfully permitted to change the initial decision made by Sydney guys if they think they were wrong in issuing PER.

BTW, question 7 on form schedule 3 clearly asks for a "completed" program.
Same for me. I think you are right. Ottawa officers are permitted to change the decision.

About question 7, that time I was thinking that just two years of study is enough. But I think you are right and Ottawa won't give the 5 points to me.

polestar707

Nov 20, 2012
asbereth said:
MapleDream, I'm sorry to hear about your rejection, it was ridiculous. So far, we've had 3 people getting rejected by Ottawa, and all three of them were due to different reasons. I personally know another guy who was rejected precisely because of this reason (job description mismatch), also by Ottawa. Similarly, he didn't include his TA/RA experience, and he was among the early 2011 applicants.

And the fact that they awarded you the 5 previous study adaptability points also showed how inconsistent they have been. If Dani1982 had been awarded the 5 adaptability points (by Ottawa), then he wouldn't have been rejected. I believe MapleDream was the first one to get awarded these 5 points by Sydney (and that too, through appeal), and it is good to see that Ottawa decided to follow suit. Hopefully, they will maintain their consistency, and award these five points for all PhD applicants onwards.

On the light of this, what I think would be the case is, if Sydney gave you the 5 points, then most likely Ottawa would do the same as well. Not sure about January and February applicants that got PER without appealing for these 5 points (the points were not there on TyrusX's CAIPS notes for example, but websphereguy has them). April applications onwards, I believe, were automatically awarded these 5 points by Sydney, so I think they should be fine.

Hi polestar707, I don't think anybody that applied in Nov (or Dec) had received any replies from Sydney. It should take about 70 days for them to get PER, and the Christmas break obviously would only slow things down. Just be patient (easier said than done, but I don't know what else to tell you) :)
Hi, asbereth. Thanks for your reply. I guess I should be more patient. 8)

Dec 25, 2012
beh467 said:
Same for me. I think you are right. Ottawa officers are permitted to change the decision.

About question 7, that time I was thinking that just two years of study is enough. But I think you are right and Ottawa won't give the 5 points to me.

Hi Beh467

What about question 8. Do you think they consider RA as full-time work experience? I guess Aidnia was awarded 5 pts because of RA/TA experience.

polestar707

Nov 20, 2012
And what is the new requirement starting from May 2013?

Can anyone please give me a website? I was looking for this on CIC, but under FSW, there is no such info.

Thank you!

beh467

May 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MapleDream said:
I received the refusal letter today. They did award the 5 adaptability points to me. But they think my job descriptions do not match the NOC code. So, I was taken 5 years work experience out. This causes me 4 points short of 67.
I will appeal. That decision is extremely ridiculous to me.
Bad news for me. But those guys who need that 5 adaptability points can have a good sleep now. I believe, the following few days, a lot of guys would have news from Ottawa.
Dear MapleDream,

Have you ordered you CAIPS ?
If yes, i appreciate if you let us know that if they have given the 5 points of adaptability for two years of study or full-time work in Canada. So, the people applying now know how to answer questions 7 and 8 in form schedule 3.

Thanks

beh467

May 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yare dabestani said:
beh467 said:

Hi Beh467

What about question 8. Do you think they consider RA as full-time work experience? I guess Aidnia was awarded 5 pts because of RA/TA experience.
Hi Yaredabestani

I asked MapleDream to see if he knows that how they have given 5 points of adaptability to him.
His answer can make this clear.
But I think it is better to answer question 8 with yes if you can get a letter indicating that you have a been a full-time research assistant. About question 7, because we haven't completed the program I don't think that Ottawa will give the 5 points.

aidina

Nov 21, 2012
Question 8 definitely asks for a one year of full time work experience in Canada and does not ask whether it was accumulated on a valid work permit or not. I think, it shows that RA/TA is considered provided your letter confirms you were a full time RA/TA (i.e. more than 37 hours a week).

aidina

Nov 21, 2012
I believe Ottawa will not award 5 adaptability points for our PhD studies, as it is obvious from question 7. However, you will get 5 points for your RA/TA experience if you are a full time RA/TA. This is my understanding.

MapleDream

Feb 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 Dec 2011
beh467 said:
Dear MapleDream,

Have you ordered you CAIPS ?
If yes, i appreciate if you let us know that if they have given the 5 points of adaptability for two years of study or full-time work in Canada. So, the people applying now know how to answer questions 7 and 8 in form schedule 3.

Thanks
In my case, they did give me the 5 adaptability points.

Dec 25, 2012
aidina said:
I believe Ottawa will not award 5 adaptability points for our PhD studies, as it is obvious from question 7. However, you will get 5 points for your RA/TA experience if you are a full time RA/TA. This is my understanding.

I hope so, Having said that, Question 8 is asking for a full-time work experiences, Do they consider TA/RA as Full-time work? I already have the letter of 37.5 hours/week RA as 2 years work-experiences but I am not sure if they accept that as a full time work experience.

Dec 25, 2012
MapleDream said:
In my case, they did give me the 5 adaptability points.

Dear Maple Dream

Could you please let us know if they award you the 5 adaptability pts for two years of phd study
or two years TA/RA work experience.

Tnx a lot

aidina

Nov 21, 2012
yare dabestani said:
I hope so, Having said that, Question 8 is asking for a full-time work experiences, Do they consider TA/RA as Full-time work? I already have the letter of 37.5 hours/week RA as 2 years work-experiences but I am not sure if they accept that as a full time work experience.
The best solution is having a highly educated spouse with a kid born in Canada. It will guarantee 10 adaptability points. :D

websphereguy

Mar 28, 2012
Singapore
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17 Jan 2014
Doc's Request.
send altogether during filing
Nomination.....
17 Apr 2014
Med's Request
23 Jun 2014
Med's Done....
02 Oct 2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
08 Apr 2015
VISA ISSUED...
27 Apr 2015
LANDED..........
02 May 2015
aidina said:
The best solution is having a highly educated spouse with a kid born in Canada. It will guarantee 10 adaptability points. :D
That's me (minus the kid though). which is why I have 85 pts

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
websphereguy said:
That's me (minus the kid though). which is why I have 85 pts
Been married makes it much easier to immigrate. I think they give more points to married people because more of them are successful in Canada than single people. I heard once that the level of international marriages in Canada fell a lot in the last 20 years.

Stuck In Quebec

Jul 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
complicated
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
17-04-2013
AOR Received.
08-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
08-11-2012
Med's Request
23-11-2013
Med's Done....
29-11-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-3014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
Hey Guys

I was talking to a friend and he asked for advice to file his application. He is a PhD student and has a guaranteed yearly stipend from supervisor. He is not expected to do TA or RA as he is in research intensive department. Will his work towards his own thesis count as research assistant (RA). Will his pay stub and letter from HR stating the minimum expected weekly work hours enough to claim the points and put the required NOC code on the application?

Please share your opinions as I didnt want him to have wrong info as I didn't claim RA work experience.