+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

TJ2010

Jun 5, 2010
I am neurosurgery resident in nigeria who has MSc with distinction in surgical science from university Edinburgh with MSc thesis on head injury. I have also resently become a canadian permanent resident who is yet to land. I am interested in pursuing PhD in neuroscience when I land. I want procure a position before I land. I have applied at University of alberta but I have not being able to get a supervisor. I have sent email to all potential supervisor but none of them has replied. Please i need your advise. DOES ANYBODY HAVE INFORMATION ON HOW TO SECURE A PHD IN NEUROSCIENCE, NEUROANATOMY, SURGERY OR ANY RELATED FIELD. Residency training is next to imposibility and I dont want to pursue that. Thank you.

utopie

Dec 14, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-08-2013
Nomination.....
11-09-2013
AOR Received.
30-10-2013
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
30-10-2013
Med's Request
30-10-2013
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
24-07-2014 (decision made: April 15, 2014)
VISA ISSUED...
1-09-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
TJ2010 said:
I am neurosurgery resident in nigeria who has MSc with distinction in surgical science from university Edinburgh with MSc thesis on head injury. I have also resently become a canadian permanent resident who is yet to land. I am interested in pursuing PhD in neuroscience when I land. I want procure a position before I land. I have applied at University of alberta but I have not being able to get a supervisor. I have sent email to all potential supervisor but none of them has replied. Please i need your advise. DOES ANYBODY HAVE INFORMATION ON HOW TO SECURE A PHD IN NEUROSCIENCE, NEUROANATOMY, SURGERY OR ANY RELATED FIELD. Residency training is next to imposibility and I dont want to pursue that. Thank you.
When did you send the email? It's a busy time right now nearing the end of the semester. Have you tried contacting the department secretary? UofA has a very good neuroscience centre but UofC has a good one as well. Not to say that Edmonton is bad but Calgary is a better city in my opinion, (I lived 8 years in Edmonton during my grad studies). Have you tried UofC?

salam20

Jun 29, 2012
LANDED..........
TJ2010 said:
i advise you to apply in most of the uni. and research centers in ur feild , chk ths to find where the programs u like are located: http://www.aucc.ca/canadian-universities/study-programs/

indusvision

Sep 8, 2008
YNS said:
I will send my PCC before they ask it. I just don't know if I should send it to Ottawa or Sydney?
If you application is in Ottawa, then send it to Ottawa. Sydney office is Central Intake Office for initial applications only.

hooman2012

Nov 12, 2012
I have a question. I have sent my application for FSW. After that I have applied for a police certificate and I have it now but unfortunately
it has been expired. Are they gonna accept this police certificate considering the fact that I applied for that after I apply for FSW?
Unfortunately it is not possible for me to apply for a new one. Cause it is gonna take too much time.

websphereguy

Mar 28, 2012
Singapore
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17 Jan 2014
Doc's Request.
send altogether during filing
Nomination.....
17 Apr 2014
Med's Request
23 Jun 2014
Med's Done....
02 Oct 2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
08 Apr 2015
VISA ISSUED...
27 Apr 2015
LANDED..........
02 May 2015
Went to a talk on immigration that was co organized by our University's international center and the CIC + Local government's immigration last week. The guy representing CIC mentioned that PhD stream has been put on hold for now. Not sure how true is that. Thought you folks who send application after the 2012 deadline (Nov 2012 this year if I am not mistaken) should know about it. But he did mention that it would resume early next year (along with the rest of FSW category which has been on hold since July) with lots of new modifications to the rules for PhD stream. However, he did stress that those who have submitted for 2011/2012 will not be affected by the upcoming changes to the rules....

pass2012

Sep 27, 2012
websphereguy said:
Went to a talk on immigration that was co organized by our University's international center and the CIC + Local government's immigration last week. The guy representing CIC mentioned that PhD stream has been put on hold for now. Not sure how true is that. Thought you folks who send application after the 2012 deadline (Nov 2012 this year if I am not mistaken) should know about it. But he did mention that it would resume early next year (along with the rest of FSW category which has been on hold since July) with lots of new modifications to the rules for PhD stream. However, he did stress that those who have submitted for 2011/2012 will not be affected by the upcoming changes to the rules....
Thanks for providing the information!

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
websphereguy said:
I love how they are treating us with respect and posting this information on the CIC website. NOT.

salam20

Jun 29, 2012
LANDED..........
hooman2012 said:
I have a question. I have sent my application for FSW. After that I have applied for a police certificate and I have it now but unfortunately
it has been expired. Are they gonna accept this police certificate considering the fact that I applied for that after I apply for FSW?
Unfortunately it is not possible for me to apply for a new one. Cause it is gonna take too much time.
When did U leave the country that you got ur PC? Did u visited it after u issued ur PC? I am sure u should not have any update in ur criminal record after u left that country. It should be still valid then.

indusvision

Sep 8, 2008
websphereguy said:
Really, PhD Stream is on hold right now? Its hard to believe that. There are no news about that on CIC website. I am not sure if we should believe on just one guy from CIC discussing on a discussion forum. We can only believe something once it is posted on CIC website. As per my understanding, CIC is still accepting applications under PhD Stream. However, after announcement of new rules sometime in early 2013, then applicants will have to be compliant to the new rules. I believe, as per the information from CIC website, that applicants who are eligible under PhD Stream, can still apply. This is just my opinion, based on the information I read from CIC website and information I got from CIC Call Center 2 weeks ago. Seniors, your suggestions please.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
indusvision said:
Really, PhD Stream is on hold right now? Its hard to believe that. There are no news about that on CIC website. I am not sure if we should believe on just one guy from CIC discussing on a discussion forum. We can only believe something once it is posted on CIC website. As per my understanding, CIC is still accepting applications under PhD Stream. However, after announcement of new rules sometime in early 2013, then applicants will have to be compliant to the new rules. I believe, as per the information from CIC website, that applicants who are eligible under PhD Stream, can still apply. This is just my opinion, based on the information I read from CIC website and information I got from CIC Call Center 2 weeks ago. Seniors, your suggestions please.
That is my understanding as well. However, it is obvious they have not been clear about this online.

indusvision

Sep 8, 2008
TyrusX said:
That is my understanding as well. However, it is obvious they have not been clear about this online.
Thanks TyrusX for your opinion. When I called CIC Call Center 2 weeks ago, same the Call Center Agent said that there are no instructions from Minister to stop or put-on-hold the PhD Stream. The Call Center Agent said that, as per the current rules, if you are still eligible, you can apply and send your application to CIO Sydney.

I wish if CIC makes it clear on their website too!

dayammrma

Nov 22, 2012
Re: Will a full time job offer affect my FSW- PhD stream application?

indusvision said:
Hi, as per the PhD stream, we are supposed to have completed two academic years (and min. 67 points offcourse) to apply. If you already have applied in PhD stream and full-filled this criteria, there should be no problem if you accept the job offer and complete your PhD along with your job. PhD Stream rules does not require you to finish PhD in a particular time (although universities may have a max. timeline for completing PhD in 6 years max).

So, concluding my opinion, after reading all the rules carefully, it should be no problem at all, if you take the full time job (with a proper work permit) and keep doing your PhD along with your work.
Thanks indusvision. I appreciate it.

dayammrma

Nov 22, 2012
Re: Will a full time job offer affect my FSW- PhD stream application?

utopie said:
Yes the university took care of the LMO and I got my permit within 2 months. Once you have it, your work permit is pretty much guaranteed I guess.
Thanks utopie. Your feedback was really helpful.