30-10-2013
Med's Request
30-10-2013
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
24-07-2014 (decision made: April 15, 2014)
VISA ISSUED...
1-09-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
Re: Will a full time job offer affect my FSW- PhD stream application?

dayammrma said:
Hi everyone,
I have a very important question that might affect my entire career. I have an offer to work full time job in the same field I am doing my PhD in. I will still keep my PhD going on working on it in my own time and may be I will take a work-day off to do so with permission and full Knowledge of my manager. My question is: will all of this affect my PR application that was received March 2012 and got the PER for on April 2012?
Please let me know!
P.S. I called the immigration guys on the phone and they told me they think that would not affect anything but they said they are not 100% sure and that I should contact the Central Intake Office!
Hi dayammrma! I am in the exact same situation. I was offered a full-time job as a university professor starting this September. Of course, I accepted! I have a work permit (full-time) and study permit (full-time as well). It is not going to affect the immigration process. It is tough finishing your PhD while working though, which is what I'm doing.

dayammrma

Nov 22, 2012

utopie said:
Hi dayammrma! I am in the exact same situation. I was offered a full-time job as a university professor starting this September. Of course, I accepted! I have a work permit (full-time) and study permit (full-time as well). It is not going to affect the immigration process. It is tough finishing your PhD while working though, which is what I'm doing.
Hi Utopie,
Gr8 news but can I ask how you got the full-time work permit first place. Did you go through the usual Labour Market Opinion (LMO) Process or how did it go with you? I am currently investigating this issue too and I would like to know if it is easy to get a full time work permit and how much time it would take? I am waiting for you response. Thanks a million.

samer_eg

Aug 23, 2012

utopie said:
Hi utopie,
Would you mind telling us how did you get a university professor position before getting your PhD?! Is that possible in Canada?

bahar855

Feb 22, 2011
ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21 Feb 2011, transferred to Ottawa in July 2012
AOR Received.
29 March 2011
IELTS Request
sent with Docs
Med's Request
July 15 ,2013 Doc requests: Sep 25,2013
Med's Done....
July 17,2013
Passport Req..
Jan 30, 2014

dayammrma said:
Hi Utopie,
Gr8 news but can I ask how you got the full-time work permit first place. Did you go through the usual Labour Market Opinion (LMO) Process or how did it go with you? I am currently investigating this issue too and I would like to know if it is easy to get a full time work permit and how much time it would take? I am waiting for you response. Thanks a million.
Exactly the same problem here! Utopie please help!

utopie

Dec 14, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-08-2013
Nomination.....
11-09-2013
AOR Received.
30-10-2013
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
30-10-2013
Med's Request
30-10-2013
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
1-09-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014

dayammrma said:
Hi Utopie,
Yes the university took care of the LMO and I got my permit within 2 months. Once you have it, your work permit is pretty much guaranteed I guess.

utopie

Dec 14, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-08-2013
Nomination.....
11-09-2013
AOR Received.
30-10-2013
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
30-10-2013
Med's Request
30-10-2013
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
1-09-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014

samer_eg said:
Hi utopie,
Would you mind telling us how did you get a university professor position before getting your PhD?! Is that possible in Canada?
It is possible. I guess I'm the living proof ;)
I applied for a job as assistant professor (ABD accepted) with no expectation whatsoever and ended up getting the job. It's a conditional hire though:I need to get my PhD by the end of next year if I want to retain the position. It will be a full tenurable position as soon as I have my diploma next year.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
S.David said:
Hi,

I heard that since I am in a Quebec, I need a proof that I won't stay at Quebec when I graduate to be eligible for PR under PhD stream. What kind of proof I can present?

Thanks
Dude, there were some people here with the same problem.:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/applicant-from-phd-program-after-5-nov-2011-connect-here-to-get-status-t87348.0.html;msg1708357#msg1708357

User Stuck In Quebec may have some ideas. try to get in touch with him.

indusvision

Sep 8, 2008

dayammrma said:
Hi everyone,
I have a very important question that might affect my entire career. I have an offer to work full time job in the same field I am doing my PhD in. I will still keep my PhD going on working on it in my own time and may be I will take a work-day off to do so with permission and full Knowledge of my manager. My question is: will all of this affect my PR application that was received March 2012 and got the PER for on April 2012?
Please let me know!
P.S. I called the immigration guys on the phone and they told me they think that would not affect anything but they said they are not 100% sure and that I should contact the Central Intake Office!
Hi, as per the PhD stream, we are supposed to have completed two academic years (and min. 67 points offcourse) to apply. If you already have applied in PhD stream and full-filled this criteria, there should be no problem if you accept the job offer and complete your PhD along with your job. PhD Stream rules does not require you to finish PhD in a particular time (although universities may have a max. timeline for completing PhD in 6 years max).

So, concluding my opinion, after reading all the rules carefully, it should be no problem at all, if you take the full time job (with a proper work permit) and keep doing your PhD along with your work.

maytheflower

Star Member
Sep 16, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I heard that since I am in a Quebec, I need a proof that I won't stay at Quebec when I graduate to be eligible for PR under PhD stream. What kind of proof I can present?

Thanks
Mark this post here.

Thanks sharing.

TyrusX said:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/applicant-from-phd-program-after-5-nov-2011-connect-here-to-get-status-t87348.0.html;msg1708357#msg1708357

SUVSUV22

Nov 24, 2012
I'm in a tricky situation and I hope someone can help me out.

When I sent my application in November last year I had a house back home valued at 50,000$, and 17000$ student Loan, and 12,000$ in my account. I only sent them a BANK STATEMENT of 12,000$(No 6 month activity included), not disclosing the house, nor the student loan.

I was asked again for proof of funds this summer, since I had paid out parts of my loan, I didn't have the funds in my account. So I sent an email withdrawing my application. They seem to have ignored that email and asked me for proof of funds again two month later.

At this moment, I have a bank account of 8500$, -25,000$ in student Loan, and a house valued at 50,000$ and a car valued at 10,000$.

My questions are:
1. did I misrepresent when I originally only showed my 12,000$ bank statement? my total net assets were way over 11,100$ minimum and I had enough liquidity in my account. but if I don't take the house into account, my total cash was -5000$. I'd withdraw my application again If I have misrepresented.

2. If I did not misrepresent, can I continue my application by transferring money from family back home, reaching the 11,100$ minimum, opening up another account back home in my name (family money) equal to my student loan here so that they would cancel each other out. If I do so, how's best to continue my application? I can send only House+Car appraisals+11,100$ bank account + 6 month activity. or should I be more clear and include my -25000$ Student Loan and my +25000$ new bank account back home as well.

I'd really appreciate anyone's input on this matter. I'd also like to be pointed to a lawyer who can help me out with this. but that might be out of the rules and regulations of this forum.

salam20 said:
I am not sure if that will work for you or not.
1) If you have some friends whom you lend them money and got a dated paper (certificate or statement) in your own language that show the amount and signed by witnesses, you may need to translate it and get it notarized. You may send it to cic as proof of funds.
2) If you bought a car or furniture, you may include the receipts, as well.
3) If you can get a bank statement from back home with the required amount for the months required, that will be useful.
You must be telling the truth.

TJ2010

Jun 5, 2010
I am neurosurgery resident in nigeria who has MSc with distinction in surgical science from university Edinburgh with MSc thesis on head injury. I have also resently become a canadian permanent resident who is yet to land. I am interested in pursuing PhD in neuroscience when I land. I want procure a position before I land. I have applied at University of alberta but I have not being able to get a supervisor. I have sent email to all potential supervisor but none of them has replied. Please i need your advise. DOES ANYBODY HAVE INFORMATION ON HOW TO SECURE A PHD IN NEUROSCIENCE, NEUROANATOMY, SURGERY OR ANY RELATED FIELD. Residency training is next to imposibility and I dont want to pursue that. Thank you.

samer_eg

Aug 23, 2012

utopie said:
It is possible. I guess I'm the living proof ;)
I applied for a job as assistant professor (ABD accepted) with no expectation whatsoever and ended up getting the job. It's a conditional hire though:I need to get my PhD by the end of next year if I want to retain the position. It will be a full tenurable position as soon as I have my diploma next year.
Thanks utopie for explanation. Last thing: what is ABD ?

S.David

Nov 19, 2012
TyrusX said:

OK, I will contact some people here in my area about this. I thought someone knows about this here.

Thanks anyway

S.David

Nov 19, 2012
hollypharaoh said:
Hey,

Thanks a lot for sharing thoughts. My field is electrical engineering. I have no idea why my file is on hold. What is mentioned in the letter is that we will give you one year as a chance to finish your Ph.D. I am nowhere near finishing in a year. I am here since 2.5 years, so it is sick from them to give me 1 Yr to finish (So generous from them!!!). Probably, they expect me to graduate soon and that's why they put me on hold. My french is not that good. I couldn't declare it as intermediate. I do have a spouse that has an intermediate level french and a Montreal born child.

I am thinking of calling them to ask. How did you know you are short by 1 pt?

I actually talked to a friend of mine and he is a lawyer and said there is absolutely no issue to apply for the Ph.D. stream while you are enrolled to a Quebec based university.

Thanks,

Holy
I am sorry, but did they ask you a proof that you will leave Quebec upon finishing your PhD?

utopie

Dec 14, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-08-2013
Nomination.....
11-09-2013
AOR Received.
30-10-2013
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
30-10-2013
Med's Request
30-10-2013
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
1-09-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014

samer_eg said:
Thanks utopie for explanation. Last thing: what is ABD ?
ABD=all but dissertation. Meaning you have completed the coursework required for the obtention of the PhD diploma and have passed the candidacy exams and the "only" thing left is writing your thesis.