19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
ASG said:
Thanks for your replies. At least one thing I can stop worry about!

Just wondering though: is there a chance they would expedite an application based on the birth of a child in Canada?
If they don't reply to communication, how can we know that they do receive updates on family status, etc...?
And although it totally makes sense to have them focus on the backlog first, how can we get information on the Ottawa VO processing times, or reasonably, what can we hope for regarding timelines?

I'm pretty sure we're all in the same boat here, but I'll be defending in April 2013. Before that, I'll have to find a job offer to be sponsored for a temporary work visa if I haven't gotten PR by that time...and it seems highly unlikely.
My husband is on an open work visa that is linked to my student visa, so as soon as I defend, he'll also have to find an employer that sponsors him as well...unless one of us gets sponsored and the other gets a work visa linked to the spouse...

My point being: I just wish there was a way to have clear info on the within Canada VO processing times, as this would greatly help plan things ahead. The tracker is pretty awesome for that, btw.
No way they will expedite an application because of a pregnancy. Can't you apply for your Post Graduate work permit? Or have you applied before and not eligible anymore?

ASG

Star Member
Aug 18, 2011
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TyrusX said:
No way they will expedite an application because of a pregnancy. Can't you apply for your Post Graduate work permit? Or have you applied before and not eligible anymore?
I haven't applied as I'm still willing to wait a little longer before that. BUT it might well be my best option, considering the situation ;).

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
ASG said:
I haven't applied as I'm still willing to wait a little longer before that. BUT it might well be my best option, considering the situation ;).
You have only 90 days after you graduation to apply. So apply right away after it if you don't have PR by then.

Luigiovemma

Star Member
Mar 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-20-2013
Nomination.....
03-05-2014
AOR Received.
04-30-2014
Med's Request
04-30-2014
TyrusX said:
I heard this from a friend who applied through the FSW stream about 3 years ago. He was in a situation that he got the MR request about three months before his expected graduate date (MS degree). He wrote to the visa office and explained his situation, and requested to expedite his case so that he did not need to apply for a work permit which may only last for a few months. And surprisingly, he did get his PR soon after he finished his degree...But I guess things change all the time...Considering the amount of backlog they need to handle at the moment, I'm not expecting them to respond to such requests...I'm going to defense either end of this year or early next year, so looks like I'm definitely going to need the post graduate work permit:(

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
Luigiovemma said:
I heard this from a friend who applied through the FSW stream about 3 years ago. He was in a situation that he got the MR request about three months before his expected graduate date (MS degree). He wrote to the visa office and explained his situation, and requested to expedite his case so that he did not need to apply for a work permit which may only last for a few months. And surprisingly, he did get his PR soon after he finished his degree...But I guess things change all the time...Considering the amount of backlog they need to handle at the moment, I'm not expecting them to respond to such requests...I'm going to defense either end of this year or early next year, so looks like I'm definitely going to need the post graduate work permit:(
Thing is, it may have been only a coincidence, as it sometimes takes only a few weeks after MR to get PR. I think it would be unfair to everyone else if they would all accept those types of requests.

Luigiovemma

Star Member
Mar 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-20-2013
Nomination.....
03-05-2014
AOR Received.
04-30-2014
Med's Request
04-30-2014
TyrusX said:
Thing is, it may have been only a coincidence, as it sometimes takes only a few weeks after MR to get PR. I think it would be unfair to everyone else if they would all accept those types of requests.
You may be right. He just suggested me to give it a try if I also come across similar situation. But from what we've seen in the past few months, I'm pretty sure the MR request is miles away and I'm going to apply for the post-graduate work permit for sure.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
Luigiovemma said:
You may be right. He just suggested me to give it a try if I also come across similar situation. But from what we've seen in the past few months, I'm pretty sure the MR request is miles away and I'm going to apply for the post-graduate work permit for sure.
Yep. and you will get a 3 year one. So no worries. Maybe we are lucky enough to still get MR before the year ends.

Luigiovemma

Star Member
Mar 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-20-2013
Nomination.....
03-05-2014
AOR Received.
04-30-2014
Med's Request
04-30-2014
TyrusX said:
Yep. and you will get a 3 year one. So no worries. Maybe we are lucky enough to still get MR before the year ends.
:) Keep my finger crossed but keep my hope very very low, so I won't be too upset if it turns out to be a long waiting, and will be a delightful surprise if it actually comes early :D

Stuck In Quebec

Jul 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
complicated
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
17-04-2013
AOR Received.
08-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
08-11-2012
Med's Request
23-11-2013
Med's Done....
29-11-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-3014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
Hey Holly

They don't get the point of graduation and stuff and also they changed regulations based on federal guidelines since july 2012 and they are not accepting new applications until April 2013 (check their website). I was given an year to finish my masters but my plan was to transfer to PhD as per department rules. I told them and they called me for an interview and it was horrible. The guy hated me the moment I entered his office, don't know why. He didnt let me speak french and gave another year to get to intermediate level french. I did so and was short of one point which they could have given me easily. I know this as I got the grid along with the rejection letter. I filed for an appeal and am still waiting but not much hopes. My rejection was very well calculated though people with similar or lesser profiles were given CSQ. Anyhow write a letter to them and drop in their office explaining your situation that you can't graduate in an year. Follow up on phone then. They might have made a mistake. You have spouse points, adaptability points for the kids and your profession is in demand in Quebec. If you have taken french test CAQ, send them the score so that you get extra points for that if they have no given it to you. Suspending the file means you might be just on borderline. Push through it.

I am told they are severely understaffed specially at appeal office with no new recruitments.

Would you mind asking your lawyer friend that what are the chances of a successful appeal when it is only short of 1 point? (though I have no hope, did it as I was enraged and it had no extra fee, I know it's an eyewash). Please let me know.

Best of luck for your application and have higher hopes on PhD stream.
hollypharaoh said:
Hey,

Thanks a lot for sharing thoughts. My field is electrical engineering. I have no idea why my file is on hold. What is mentioned in the letter is that we will give you one year as a chance to finish your Ph.D. I am nowhere near finishing in a year. I am here since 2.5 years, so it is sick from them to give me 1 Yr to finish (So generous from them!!!). Probably, they expect me to graduate soon and that's why they put me on hold. My french is not that good. I couldn't declare it as intermediate. I do have a spouse that has an intermediate level french and a Montreal born child.

I am thinking of calling them to ask. How did you know you are short by 1 pt?

I actually talked to a friend of mine and he is a lawyer and said there is absolutely no issue to apply for the Ph.D. stream while you are enrolled to a Quebec based university.

Thanks,

Holy

mengoose

Aug 10, 2012
phdapplicant said:
If I were you, I would send my application with the letter from school signed on or after Sep 7. It seems that CIC has become very picky about the 2-year requirement and the attestation letter. Better safe than sorry.
That is such a great point! I never thought about it. Thank you so much for reminding me of that. I appreciate it.

mengoose

Aug 10, 2012
I have a question for the Chinese applicants. Do we have to include the CADGEDC certified credentials with our application?

smallkick

Star Member
Feb 9, 2012
mengoose said:
I have a question for the Chinese applicants. Do we have to include the CADGEDC certified credentials with our application?
I would say yes according to the updated checklist.

redan304

Aug 29, 2012
Jude_1 said:
Thanks a lot for your updates. Just re-apply asap and you will be good. :)

I still got no news on my side.
In your case, ARE you supposed to submit another SEALED language test report? because they already opened it!

websphereguy

Mar 28, 2012
Singapore
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17 Jan 2014
Doc's Request.
send altogether during filing
Nomination.....
17 Apr 2014
Med's Request
23 Jun 2014
Med's Done....
02 Oct 2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
08 Apr 2015
VISA ISSUED...
27 Apr 2015
LANDED..........
02 May 2015
redan304 said:
In your case, ARE you supposed to submit another SEALED language test report? because they already opened it!
Open is fine. I did that and still got my PER.