+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

phdapplicant

Star Member
Nov 21, 2011
I just got an email from Ottawa regarding my appeal. They refused to give me 5 adaptability points since I did not completed a program of study (even though I have completed two years of study at a Canadian post-secondary institution).

They still re-open my case since I have gained a new Canadian citizen relative recently

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
phdapplicant said:
I just got an email from Ottawa regarding my appeal. They refused to give me 5 adaptability points since I did not completed a program of study (even though I have completed two years of study at a Canadian post-secondary institution).

They still re-open my case since I have recently gained a new Canadian citizen relative.
Hum. It is good for you that you got a new Canadian relative. But it is really horrible news for the adaptability points. I think it I will add my RA/TA experience after my candidacy occur if I haven't heard from him by then.

phdapplicant

Star Member
Nov 21, 2011
Sorry for the bad news about the adaptability points (especially in the early morning). But I want to post it right away to let everyone know in order to take further steps to update your application as soon as possible. Again, if you have any way to increase your points, you should do it quickly. I'm referring to updating work experience letter, relatives, married/common-law,...

Aaron2012

Star Member
Mar 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
phdapplicant said:
Sorry for the bad news about the adaptability points (especially in the early morning). But I want to post it right away to let everyone know in order to take further steps to update your application as soon as possible. Again, if you have any way to increase your points, you should do quickly. I'm referring to update work experience letter, relatives, married/common-law,...
Yep, I probably have to consider re-application before it comes to that result.

PyramidCity

Apr 23, 2012
It seems to be an adverse situation for me. Guys, do you think its good idea to claim more working experience by sending them another employment letter from the department/graduate school that includes both taxable and non-taxable income? My first letter was from HR and only taxable income was counted as my experience but department will award me more experience. I wanna send a letter to show them I actually work more than that the letter claimed from HR, but I did not do so cos of the misleading information provided by the Instruction Guide. Should I send this to Ottawa before hearing any result from them or after ?

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012<br>PR Fee Charged: 05-03-2012<br>PER Received..: 21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013<br>In process.....: 21-03-2013
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
26-03-2013 <br>Med's Received: 15-04-2013 <br>Decision Made: 15-04-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013 <br>COPR ISSUED..: 15-05-2013<br>VISA RECEIVED: 16-05-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
PyramidCity said:
It seems to be an adverse situation for me. Guys, do you think its good idea to claim more working experience by sending them another employment letter from the department/graduate school that includes both taxable and non-taxable income? My first letter was from HR and only taxable income was counted as my experience but department will award me more experience. I wanna send a letter to show them I actually work more than that the letter claimed from HR, but I did not do so cos of the misleading information provided by the Instruction Guide. Should I send this to Ottawa before hearing any result from them or after ?
I'm wondering about this as well. They actually agreed to reconsider phdapplicant's application based on his newly naturalized relative, so apparently it may be possible to add more information, provided a decision is not yet made.

beh467

May 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
phdapplicant said:

They still re-open my case since I have gained a new Canadian citizen relative recently
Did you mention the OP6B page 37 in your appeal?
It clearly says that there is no need to get a degree.

phdapplicant

Star Member
Nov 21, 2011
beh467 said:
Did you mention the OP6B page 37 in your appeal?
It clearly says that there is no need to get a degree.
I did mention it. However, they insisted that I must complete a program to get those 5 points.

Aaron2012

Star Member
Mar 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
phdapplicant said:
I did mention it. However, they insisted that I must complete a program to get those 5 points.
How to define completion? Does that mean for a PhD program we have to wait for 4 years to get this 5 points? CPP-O seems very strict to the number of years.

If that is true, that means we have to be at the beginning of the 5th-year PhD study (if the PhD program is 4 years) to get these points. How ridiculous it is.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
Aaron2012 said:
How to define completion? Does that mean for a PhD program we have to wait for 4 years to get this 5 points? CPP-O seems very strict to the number of years.

If that is true, that means we have to be in 5th-year PhD program to get these points. How ridiculous it is.
I think completion means that you complete all the requirements for you graduation, but have not yet convocated for example,

Aaron2012

Star Member
Mar 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TyrusX said:
I think completion means that you complete all the requirements for you graduation, but have not yet convocated for example,
Most people who are at that point will probably apply for provincial nominees program.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
Aaron2012 said:
Most people who are at that point will probably apply for provincial nominees program.
Yes. The stream was not well planned in my opinion. The lack of adaptability points will make it much harder than the others.

hamed_hamed

May 29, 2012
phdapplicant said:
I bet is that they were thinking of PhD Students who completed their Master/MBA degree in Canada.
There is another stream for them, I forgot its name (experience class...).
They should have counted the points a 2nd year PhD student can have. For most people it is less than 67. Unless they are married or have overseas work experience. They were the target of this PhD stream?