+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

hamed_hamed

May 29, 2012
TyrusX said:
I didn't do that as well. BUT IS VERY STUPID of them. We have studied in Canada for the last two years. It's obvious. I did put that on my cover letter though. I hope they kept them with the files. I suspect I may get a NER as well if things go like this.
Me too. We could not check that box because our studies were not complete and our work experience was not full-time as they were asking for.
That's very stupid of them!!!
I also put a cover letter clarifying that situation.

PyramidCity

Apr 23, 2012
Both phdapplicant's and dani1982's case have something in common that they may not have the adaptability points from CIO initially. Therefore, in my mind, it is still too early to assert that Ottawa and Sydney have disagreement on the criteria of assigning adaptability points based on the first two years of PhD study. We need to wait for the results of people who got their NER reversed to PER.

I am also wondering if both phdapplicant and dani1982 in their application applied for the 5 points? If not, and they did not appealed for it at Sydney, it probably means both Sydney and Ottawa do not automatically assign unclaimed points. For people who either applied or appealed for the 5 points at Sydney, they actually claimed for the points. Hence I do hope there will be different stories.

However, good luck to both of them and the rest of us.

I do hope ppl can also check if they have a case processing office number at the very bottom of the letter in the address section, as we know that some offices are stricter than others.

hamed_hamed

May 29, 2012
I think we should send a shared template and ask for :
1. adaptability points
2. part time work (TA/RA) in Canada and that we could not check box "previous work in Canada" because it was not full-time.

moonbow2010

Feb 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
07-05-2014
Med's Request
07-05-2014
Med's Done....
24-06-2014
PyramidCity said:
Both phdapplicant's and dani1982's case have something in common that they may not have the adaptability points from CIO initially. Therefore, in my mind, it is still too early to assert that Ottawa and Sydney have disagreement on the criteria of assigning adaptability points based on the first two years of PhD study. We need to wait for the results of people who got their NER reversed to PER.

I am also wondering if both phdapplicant and dani1982 in their application applied for the 5 points? If not, and they did not appealed for it at Sydney, it probably means both Sydney and Ottawa do not automatically assign unclaimed points. For people who either applied or appealed for the 5 points at Sydney, they actually claimed for the points. Hence I do hope there will be different stories.

However, good luck to both of them and the rest of us.

I do hope ppl can also check if they have a case processing office number at the very bottom of the letter in the address section, as we know that some offices are stricter than others.
I heard that CPP-O is stricter than Buffalo and really follows the rules tightly. Like Dani1982 did not gain points for his foreign work experience, no matter what the employer wrote, it might still fail the expectation of the visa officer. But that did not mean that Dani1982 's job can not be comparable to those Canadian ones. Yes or No is partially random.

hamed_hamed

May 29, 2012
Just check Schedule 3 form.
It has some questions for :
4: Are you currently working in canada under a work permit? YES NO
What could be our answer? I said no, but i said i don't have work permit but i'm working on campus.

7: Study in Canada
I said No. Because my current studies are not complete.

8: Work in Canada (Full-time)
I said No. Because my TA/RA are not full-time.

What did you guys say? Do crazy leader and PhDApplicant fill out these boxes with YES?

Dani1982

Star Member
Nov 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2012
Nomination.....
26-09-2012
phdapplicant said:
I emailed them about two days, saying that
"I should have been awarded another 5 adaptability points for studying at a post-secondary institution in Canada (University of ***) for more than two years on a full-time basis after the age of 17 with a study permit. According to OP6, Section 9.16.b and IMM7000 Factor 6.B, I am not required to have obtained an educational credential for these 2 years."

I think we should prepare a formal letter together. I remember that some of you mentioned that you had a lawyer at school to help with the PR application process. Could you consult him/her regarding this?
what is IMM7000 Factor 6.B?

PyramidCity

Apr 23, 2012
Pls be aware that IMM7000 is not an "legal document". We can only complain about the case saying IMM7000 provides misleading information, but it is not supposed to be our major evidence to convince Ottawa for assigning us the adaptability points. However, OP-6b is an legal document and is the explanation of IRPA and the "code of conduct" of both Sydney and Ottawa.

phdapplicant

Star Member
Nov 21, 2011
hamed_hamed said:
Just check Schedule 3 form.
It has some questions for :
4: Are you currently working in canada under a work permit? YES NO
What could be our answer? I said no, but i said i don't have work permit but i'm working on campus.

7: Study in Canada
I said No. Because my current studies are not complete.

8: Work in Canada (Full-time)
I said No. Because my TA/RA are not full-time.

What did you guys say? Do crazy leader and PhDApplicant fill out these boxes with YES?
Same to me. I answered "No" to those questions.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
phdapplicant said:
Same to me. I answered "No" to those questions.
Same here. Those questions are just not obvious for phd students.

cdhbamboo

Star Member
Feb 19, 2012
PyramidCity said:
I guess one possibility is that they both did not get 5 adaptability of study at CIO initially. However, they still passed because CIO assigned more experience points for them. Now they are rejected by CPP, the reason is that CPP has a higher standard for work experience points. Therefore, many of us will lose some work experience points in CPP. Please do not worry too much. Once we have some results of turnovered cases, we are able to find it is the problem of adaptability or work experience. I guess it is work experience. Let's see.

anjuku

Mar 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo (now transferred to Ottawa)
NOC Code......
4011 and 4012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2012
Doc's Request.
16-05-2013
Nomination.....
25-04-2012 (PER)
IELTS Request
SENT WITH APPLICATION (OVERALL BAND SCORE 8.5)
Med's Request
17-05-2013
Med's Done....
23-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-06-2013; Passports sent in on 22-06- 2013; Passports received by ottawa on 25-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
visas received on July 9, 2013
LANDED..........
July 10, 2013
The current developments from the ottawa office are truly nerve racking ???
I am concerned that my experience letters don't have the exact wordings for duties as listed in the NOC booklet..for example my supervisor has put down 'data processing' in place of the "compile results blah blah part of the NOC for RAs...
we'll just have to wait and see i guess ???

moonbow2010

Feb 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
07-05-2014
Med's Request
07-05-2014
Med's Done....
24-06-2014
anjuku said:
The current developments from the ottawa office are truly nerve racking ???
I am concerned that my experience letters don't have the exact wordings for duties as listed in the NOC booklet..for example my supervisor has put down 'data processing' in place of the "compile results blah blah part of the NOC for RAs...
we'll just have to wait and see i guess ???
Duties of RA should be all inclusive. Don't worry too much about it.

I also had letter of reference from other jobs, which does not match all the main duties under the description of NOC code.

Now OP6b give the visa officer the discretion to decide whether or not your job contains enough essential duties based on the documentation without any consultation with the applicant.

This will cause arbitrariness. Except there will be more than one visa officer browsing the letter.

anjuku

Mar 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo (now transferred to Ottawa)
NOC Code......
4011 and 4012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2012
Doc's Request.
16-05-2013
Nomination.....
25-04-2012 (PER)
IELTS Request
SENT WITH APPLICATION (OVERALL BAND SCORE 8.5)
Med's Request
17-05-2013
Med's Done....
23-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-06-2013; Passports sent in on 22-06- 2013; Passports received by ottawa on 25-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
visas received on July 9, 2013
LANDED..........
July 10, 2013
moonbow2010 said:
Duties of RA should be all inclusive. Don't worry too much about it.

I also had letter of reference from other jobs, which does not match all the main duties under the description of NOC code.

Now OP6b give the visa officer the discretion to decide whether or not your job contains enough essential duties based on the documentation without any consultation with the applicant.

This will cause arbitrariness. Except there will be more than one visa officer browsing the letter.
thanks moonbow..i have claimed greater than 2 but less than three years of work experience..however, i just need them to accept the one year of work experience (15 points) to qualify..but if they find issues with my RA letter, then i'm doomed!... :(

phdapplicant

Star Member
Nov 21, 2011
So far Ottawa has not replied my appeal email. To be safe, I have just sent them a fax this morning.

@Dani1982: Have you taken any action yet?

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
phdapplicant said:
So far Ottawa has not replied my appeal email. To be safe, I have just sent them a fax this morning.

@ Dani1982: Have you taken any action yet?
I heard that they will have to process the backlog until October or something like that. They are possible very busy if this is true.
It blows my mind that someone that applied in 2004 didn't think about applying again after the new regulations of 2008 sped up the entire process.