AOR Received.
07-05-2014
Med's Request
07-05-2014
Med's Done....
24-06-2014
phdapplicant said:
To clarify
- Some of my work experience outside of Canada is counted. Some other experience is not counted since I was unable to provide a complete letter from former employers with details of my duties.
- My RA/TA is counted as work experience

I will try to call Ottawa tomorrow to "educate" them about the 5 adaptability points. I guess this PhD Stream is very new to them so not all reviewers in Ottawa is well-informed about that. I will keep you posted.
Wish you good luck with all my heart! It means so much to some of the applicants here.

moonbow2010

Feb 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
07-05-2014
Med's Request
07-05-2014
Med's Done....
24-06-2014
phdapplicant said:
To clarify
- Some of my work experience outside of Canada is counted. Some other experience is not counted since I was unable to provide a complete letter from former employers with details of my duties.

I will try to call Ottawa tomorrow to "educate" them about the 5 adaptability points. I guess this PhD Stream is very new to them so not all reviewers in Ottawa is well-informed about that. I will keep you posted.
Just a reminder, could you claim any points for your spouse's education?

If you forgot to claim, try sending your spouse's education certificate.

anjuku

Mar 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo (now transferred to Ottawa)
NOC Code......
4011 and 4012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2012
Doc's Request.
16-05-2013
Nomination.....
25-04-2012 (PER)
IELTS Request
SENT WITH APPLICATION (OVERALL BAND SCORE 8.5)
Med's Request
17-05-2013
Med's Done....
23-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-06-2013; Passports sent in on 22-06- 2013; Passports received by ottawa on 25-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
visas received on July 9, 2013
LANDED..........
July 10, 2013
phdapplicant said:
I got an NER from Ottawa today. They didn't give me 5 points for having studied in Canada for 2 years (in adaptability category). I have send my appeal to them. Hope that it doesn't take long.
I'm so sorry to hear that!..one would think they should know by now that all the applicants in this stream are eligible for those 5 adaptability points!!..anyway, i hope you get your NER overturned as early as possible..good luck!

MapleDream

Feb 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 Dec 2011
phdapplicant said:
I got an NER from Ottawa today. They didn't give me 5 points for having studied in Canada for 2 years (in adaptability category). I have send my appeal to them. Hope that it doesn't take long.
It's weird. I got my NER in March, since they didn't award me the 5 adaptability points. After I appealed, they overturned NER to PER. Now, it means I have to do this again. I think there was a miscommunication between CPP and CIO. All PhD students who need the 5 adaptability points may have to repeat this process. How ridiculous it is!

My date is a little earlier than phdapplicant. I can feel I will get some message from CPP in next few days.

moonbow2010

Feb 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
07-05-2014
Med's Request
07-05-2014
Med's Done....
24-06-2014
MapleDream said:
It's weird. I got my NER in March, since they didn't award me the 5 adaptability points. After I appealed, they overturned NER to PER. Now, it means I have to do this again. I think there was a miscommunication between CPP and CIO. All PhD students who need the 5 adaptability points may have to repeat this process. How ridiculous it is!

My date is a little earlier than phdapplicant. I can feel I will get some message from CPP in next few days.
Decisions from these two are independent according to their manuals. That means that another appeal is necessary. ::)

PyramidCity

Apr 23, 2012
phdapplicant said:
To clarify

Hi phdapplicant,

We r in the same boat. However, I m wondering if you have got any adaptability points or nothing at all?

S

sohappyboy

phdapplicant said:
To clarify

Phdpplicant,
I have two questions for understanding the problem more clearly, I hope you do not mind answering them.

1- Did you get the 5 adaptability points from Sydney without any problem ( I mean appealing ) but not from here ?
Because as long as I know Sydeny gave 0 points first and after we appealed they granted 5 points.

2- Did you get any adaptablity point from Ottawa ?

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012<br>PR Fee Charged: 05-03-2012<br>PER Received..: 21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013<br>In process.....: 21-03-2013
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
26-03-2013 <br>Med's Received: 15-04-2013 <br>Decision Made: 15-04-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013 <br>COPR ISSUED..: 15-05-2013<br>VISA RECEIVED: 16-05-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
sohappyboy said:
Phdpplicant,
I have two questions for understanding the problem more clearly, I hope you do not mind answering them.

1- Did you get the 5 adaptability points from Sydney without any problem ( I mean appealing ) but not from here ?
Because as long as I know Sydeny gave 0 points first and after we appealed they granted 5 points.

2- Did you get any adaptablity point from Ottawa ?
Hi sohappyboy, phdapplicant will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong, but the CPP Ottawa awarded him 66 points, and no adaptability points (as per his posts suggested). It could be that the difference in interpretation was not so much in adaptability points, but in work experience.

Maybe (just a speculation on my part), Sydney awarded phdapplicant enough points from work experience, but not the 5 adaptability points for previous study. So in the break down that Sydney forwarded to Ottawa, Sydney listed 0 for adaptability, but credited him with two years of work experience, bringing up his point tally to 68. Because Ottawa did not agree with this work experience assessment, and because on the initial assessment, these 5 points never entered the picture at all, Ottawa rejected on the basis of not having enough points (they were not going to grant points where Sydney did not I'm assuming).

Also, checking his posting history, I found that he never actually appealed for CIO, only that he requested him to submit additional letters for work experience. In this case, Sydney probably never awarded him the 5 points to begin with, but still thought that his application had more than 67 points, therefore, warranting forwarding to Ottawa.

So in short, Sydney probably gave him the following assessment:

Education 25
Proficiency in English and/or French 16
Experience 17
Age 10
Arranged employment in Canada 0
Adaptability 0
Total 68

which would warrant forwarding to Ottawa, but Ottawa probably was not happy with the work experience assessment, and only agreed to credit him with 1 year of work experience, thus, coming up with the following:

Education 25
Experience 15
Age 10
Adaptability 0
Total 66

thus, rejecting the application.

I'm assuming that those who appealed and got their NER overturned won't have similar problem, since since the 5 points would be there on the initial assessment. I could be wrong though (knowing their level of competence and whatnot).

S

sohappyboy

asbereth said:
Hi sohappyboy, phdapplicant will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong, but the CPP Ottawa awarded him 66 points, and no adaptability points (as per his posts suggested). It could be that the difference in interpretation was not so much in adaptability points, but in work experience.

Maybe (just a speculation on my part), Sydney awarded phdapplicant enough points from work experience, but not the 5 adaptability points for previous study. So in the break down that Sydney forwarded to Ottawa, Sydney listed 0 for adaptability, but credited him with two years of work experience, bringing up his point tally to 68. Because Ottawa did not agree with this work experience assessment, and because on the initial assessment, these 5 points never entered the picture at all, Ottawa rejected on the basis of not having enough points (they were not going to grant points where Sydney did not I'm assuming).

Also, checking his posting history, I found that he never actually appealed for CIO, only that he requested him to submit additional letters for work experience. In this case, Sydney probably never awarded him the 5 points to begin with, but still thought that his application had more than 67 points, therefore, warranting forwarding to Ottawa.

Education 25
Experience 17
Age 10
Adaptability 0
Total 68

which would warrant forwarding to Ottawa, but Ottawa probably was not happy with the work experience assessment, and only agreed to credit him with 1 year of work experience, thus, coming up with the following:

Education 25
Experience 15
Age 10
Adaptability 0
Total 66

I'm assuming that those who appealed and got their NER overturned won't have similar problem, since since the 5 points would be there on the initial assessment. I could be wrong though (knowing their level of competence and whatnot).
Hi asbereth ,
Thanks for detailed explanation. It make a lot of sense.

PyramidCity

Apr 23, 2012
asbereth said:

Education 25
Experience 17
Age 10
Adaptability 0
Total 68

Education 25
Experience 15
Age 10
Adaptability 0
Total 66

I also have such doubt. That is why I said in my reply that "it is not common that they did not explain why no adaptability points were assigned by quoting the ACT. " If you applied the adaptability points but were not assigned, they usually gave an explanation. That is to say, the reason was needlessly to be elaborated in this email coz it should be in the email sent by CIO and they did not change anything from CIO regarding this.

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
PyramidCity said:
I also have such doubt. That is why I said in my reply that "it is not common that they did not explain why no adaptability points were assigned by quoting the ACT. " If you applied the adaptability points but were not assigned, they usually gave an explanation.
I really hope that the appeal would work for his favor, 'cause not only would this be a good news for him (obviously), it's also good news for everybody else, especially those with borderline number of points. If he was never assigned the adaptability points by the CIO, then his rejection was due to differences in work experience. You're right though that it should've been explained why he would not be assigned the adaptability points if the CIO did assign him those points, but Ottawa disagreed.

sohappyboy said:
Hi asbereth ,
Thanks for detailed explanation. It make a lot of sense.
Remember though this is just a speculation, and if we have learned anything from these past 7 months, it is that they sometimes work so randomly that it defies all things we thought were common sense :)

moonbow2010

Feb 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
07-05-2014
Med's Request
07-05-2014
Med's Done....
24-06-2014
asbereth said:

Education 25
Experience 17
Age 10
Adaptability 0
Total 68

Education 25
Experience 15
Age 10
Adaptability 0
Total 66

However, he was awarded points for his work experience outside Canada. He mentioned that in his previous email.

Since he already has 1 year of work experience in Canada, points on his work experience should be greater than 15.

I doubt he may not gain enough points for his language.

S

sohappyboy

moonbow2010 said:
However, he was awarded points for his work experience outside Canada. He mentioned that in his previous email.

Since he already has 1 year of work experience in Canada, points on his work experience should be greater than 15.

Let's wait for Phdapplicant to let us know what has happened. I really hope he will educate them
to overturn their decision.

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
moonbow2010 said:

I think in the email, it was mentioned that he has 1 year and 3 months of TA/RA work experience, though I'm not sure how many points exactly he got credited for work experience exactly by Ottawa. phdapplication, if it's not too much trouble, can you clarify? It would be interesting to know though why the CIO thought that he had more than 67 points, but not Ottawa. Hopefully, it could be fixed easily, rather than having them rejecting the 5 adaptability points for all applicants who have not completed any Canadian post-secondary program (the worst case scenario where Ottawa would have the final say, and the CIO was being too lenient in awarding these 5 points) :(