+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

arian_arian

Star Member
Mar 24, 2014
I just got an appointment from my MP for tomorrow morning.

Could you please let me know what exactly I need to ask him?

Thanks a lot,

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
arian_arian said:
I just got an appointment from my MP for tomorrow morning.

Could you please let me know what exactly I need to ask him?

Thanks a lot,
I am so sorry that you got this before sending your updated letter!
Your previous letter was just missing the magical word "Assisting", I am not sure that the MP can help you.

arian_arian

Star Member
Mar 24, 2014
N_O said:
I am so sorry that you got this before sending your updated letter!
Your previous letter was just missing the magical word "Assisting", I am not sure that the MP can help you.
There is a "Assisting" word in my previous letter for both research assistant and teaching assistant. That doesn't count?!

neuron

Star Member
Oct 19, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-03-2013
Nomination.....
15-04-2013
AOR Received.
15-04-2013
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
05-05-2014
Med's Done....
09-05-2014
Passport Req..
23-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
20-06-2014
arian_arian said:
There is a "Assisting" word in my previous letter for both research assistant and teaching assistant. That doesn't count?!
I am sorry to hear about this. Can you attach your previous letter?

arian_arian

Star Member
Mar 24, 2014
neuron said:
I am sorry to hear about this. Can you attach your previous letter?
Thanks.

Here is my previous letter.

March 31, 2014

This letter is to confirm that Mr. XXX is a full-time graduate student enrolled in Ph.D. program in the Department of XXX at the University of XXX. He has started his program winter 2011 under my supervision and has been employed as a research assistant and as a teaching assistant during semesters.

Mr. XXX commenced his employment with The University of XXX as a graduate research and teaching assistant on January 10, 2011. Since then, his total working hours and annual incomes are as follows.

From January 2011 to January 2013, his total working hours was 40 hours per week and his total annual earning was $24,000 per year.

From January 2013 to March 2014, his total working hours has been 20 hours per week and his total annual earning is $16,000 per year.

In addition, He received XXX graduate Fellowship in 2012 with the value of $XXX due to his outstanding academic record.

As a Teaching Assistant, Mr. XXX organizes the materials as required by university professors for laboratory sessions. He also conducts laboratory sessions to supplement lectures. In addition, he answers student's questions about the materials of the course during office hours. Assistance in the preparation and administration of examinations, grading quizzes and laboratory reports, and record keeping are also part of his duties.

As a research assistant, Mr. XXX conducts literature reviews, surveys, computer simulations and analytical analysis. In addition, he compiles research results and assists in the preparations of journal articles as well as conference papers.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for further information,

Sincerely,

yahia.eldemerdash

Oct 18, 2013
I have checked my ECAS today and I found that my status is changed from In Process to Decision made. These two lines are added

We started processing your application on May 6, 2014.

A decision has been made on your application. The office will contact you concerning this decision.

I think this means rejection, but I did not receive any email from CIC till now. Is there any chance to make an appeal. If there is anyone tried to make an appeal and got a positive feedback.

neuron

Star Member
Oct 19, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-03-2013
Nomination.....
15-04-2013
AOR Received.
15-04-2013
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
05-05-2014
Med's Done....
09-05-2014
Passport Req..
23-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
20-06-2014
Ok, I see. In this previous letter, you did not show the key word "assisting" in your lead statement!!!

Instead, you wrote in this way: Mr. XXX commenced his employment with The University of XXX as a graduate research and teaching assistant on January 10, 2011. Since then, his total working hours and annual incomes are as follows.

this is why they said you did meet the rule (b), which requires that the letter must contain the lead statement for NOC 4012.

It is true that in the following paragraph (your main duties), the key word "assisting" showed up once:
Assistance in the preparation and administration of examinations, grading quizzes and laboratory reports, and record keeping are also part of his duties

but they think it is for your main duties. Anyway, I think they thought you missed the "assisting"-like words in your lead statement!!

hope this helps

arian_arian said:
Thanks.

Here is my previous letter.

March 31, 2014

This letter is to confirm that Mr. XXX is a full-time graduate student enrolled in Ph.D. program in the Department of XXX at the University of XXX. He has started his program winter 2011 under my supervision and has been employed as a research assistant and as a teaching assistant during semesters.

Mr. XXX commenced his employment with The University of XXX as a graduate research and teaching assistant on January 10, 2011. Since then, his total working hours and annual incomes are as follows.

From January 2011 to January 2013, his total working hours was 40 hours per week and his total annual earning was $24,000 per year.

From January 2013 to March 2014, his total working hours has been 20 hours per week and his total annual earning is $16,000 per year.

In addition, He received XXX graduate Fellowship in 2012 with the value of $XXX due to his outstanding academic record.

As a Teaching Assistant, Mr. XXX organizes the materials as required by university professors for laboratory sessions. He also conducts laboratory sessions to supplement lectures. In addition, he answers student's questions about the materials of the course during office hours. Assistance in the preparation and administration of examinations, grading quizzes and laboratory reports, and record keeping are also part of his duties.

As a research assistant, Mr. XXX conducts literature reviews, surveys, computer simulations and analytical analysis. In addition, he compiles research results and assists in the preparations of journal articles as well as conference papers.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for further information,

Sincerely,

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
arian_arian, I am sorry that you have been rejected. While the job descriptions seem to mostly match what's on the HRSDC website for NOC 4012, I do believe that you may be missing the most important part: the leading statement.

While it is immediately obvious for all of us that you're obviously assisting your supervisor for RA and course instructors for TA, I believe that these things need to be spelled out explicitly so they won't miss the lead statement. For example, on the paragraph where you explained your duties as an RA, you could have maybe written

"As a research assistant, Mr. XXX assists me in conducting research in such and such field. His main duties include conducting literature reviews, surveys, computer simulations and analytical analysis, compiling research results and assisting me in the preparations of journal articles as well as conference papers."

And for teaching assistant, it also needs to be clear who you're assisting. So maybe, you could have written

"As a Teaching Assistant, Mr. XXX assists course instructors in conducting their teaching activities. His main duties include organizing the materials as required by university professors for laboratory sessions, conducting laboratory, sessions to supplement lectures, holding office hours to answer student's questions about the materials of the course, and providing assistance in the preparation and administration of examinations, grading quizzes and laboratory reports, and record keeping"

Of course, you can always try to appeal (several members here were able to overturn the decisions) on the basis that the letter has implicitly mentioned that you have been assisting your supervisor and course instructors in their research and teaching activities, and that your job descriptions match substantially what the website has.

My suggestion for you is obviously try to appeal the decision (since you have some grounds, minimal they may be), and at the same time, prepare a new application.

AXMMS

Jan 13, 2014
arian_arian said:
Does anyone know about getting a lawyer?

Any suggestion is much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
A lawyer basically just helps you "prepare" the application and documents, but they don't know too much details (at least the one we use). By "prepare" I mean they tell you what documents you need to prepare, which you could get from the cic website, and you need to get those documents yourself. Once they make sure they have everything, they send the application package to cic. They will receive all emails/requests from cic in terms of your application. If there is anything that requires your input, they will contact you.

My suggestion is that do it yourself and use the resources on this forum and cic website. If you do want to get a lawyer, do your research and get a GREAT one!!!!!! Don't choose one over another because this one is cheaper. Reviews on the internet sometimes are not that reliable. The best way to have a good layer is through your friends who had the service from this lawyer before.

Our first lawyer didn't do a good job. We couldn't reach her on email/phone. I don't think she even cares about this job at all. She was late for our meeting because she had to have a lunch with her colleague. She told us in person that she didn't want to work and just want to go home and relax. Her assistant didn't even know how to calculate the hours of working experience, and also hard to reach. We submitted our first package in September 2013. It got returned three times. And, it wasn't cheap!!!

arian_arian

Star Member
Mar 24, 2014
meyakanor said:
Of course, you can always try to appeal (several members here were able to overturn the decisions) on the basis that the letter has implicitly mentioned that you have been assisting your supervisor and course instructors in their research and teaching activities, and that your job descriptions match substantially what the website has.

My suggestion for you is obviously try to appeal the decision (since you have some grounds, minimal they may be), and at the same time, prepare a new application.
Thanks.

How much time do I have for the appeal?

and

How much time does it take for CIC to respond the appeal?

Thanks a lot guys.

The_Prince

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2012
Doc's Request.
POF: 21-03-2014
Nomination.....
PER: 18-02-2013
IELTS Request
CELPIP (sent with application)
Med's Request
28-03-2014
Med's Done....
31-03-2014
Passport Req..
21-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
yahia.eldemerdash said:
I have checked my ECAS today and I found that my status is changed from In Process to Decision made. These two lines are added

We started processing your application on May 6, 2014.

A decision has been made on your application. The office will contact you concerning this decision.

I think this means rejection, but I did not receive any email from CIC till now. Is there any chance to make an appeal. If there is anyone tried to make an appeal and got a positive feedback.
Did you receive any document request e-mails before ?

The_Prince

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2012
Doc's Request.
POF: 21-03-2014
Nomination.....
PER: 18-02-2013
IELTS Request
CELPIP (sent with application)
Med's Request
28-03-2014
Med's Done....
31-03-2014
Passport Req..
21-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
yahia.eldemerdash said:
NO, I did not receive anything from their side since PER.
Probably it is a rejection :/ They will contact u soon. Did u have a good ref. letter; I mean with the word "assist" and all other requirements ?

yahia.eldemerdash

Oct 18, 2013
The_Prince said:
Probably it is a rejection :/ They will contact u soon. Did u have a good ref. letter; I mean with the word "assist" and all other requirements ?
Actually, I have updated my ref. letter 3 months ago. I carefully tried to follow all the tips you provided on this form and my letter includes the leading statement "assist".

I am not sure, if I can claim that my letter is matching the NOC 4012 main duties. do they accept this kind of appeals?