Star Member
Aug 18, 2011
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys,
could you let me know what you think of this letter:

To whom it may concern:
This letter is in support of ASG’s application for Permanent Resident status through the Federal Skilled Worker PhD Stream. ASG worked as a research assistant and teaching assistant in the XXX Department of XXX University from September 2008 to May 2013, when she successfully defended the degree of Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.).
As a research assistant, she assisted me in research activities in the areas of X, Y, and Z. Specifically, she assisted me in the compiling of data, in the analysis of results, and in the preparation of publications in peer-reviewed journals. Her main duties included:
Conducting literature reviews
As a research assistant, ASG conducted several literature reviews of XXXX
Performing laboratory analyses
As a research assistant, ASG performed XXXX
Performing simulation experiments
As a research assistant, ASG conducted simulation experiments to XXX. A publication on this topic was submitted to XXXX.
Compiling and analyzing research results
As a research assistant, ASG analyzed and compiled XXX.
Preparing scholarly publications and writing scientific journal papers
The research that ASG conducted was used to be published in peer-reviewed journals. More specifically, ASG published the following papers: XXXX
As a research assistant, ASG worked 20 hours a week in the X Department. Her stipend as a research assistant was in form of a research assistantship of X $CA per year.

As a teaching assistant, ASG assisted me and other professors and faculty members of X University in their teaching activities. The courses she was involved in included:
X, Y, and Z.
Her duties consisted of:
Conducting discussion groups and laboratory sessions to supplement lectures
Assisting in the preparation and administration of examinations
Leading field investigations
Leading the design of experiments
Providing information on how to follow proper scientific methodology
Grading examinations, quizzes, term papers and laboratory reports
Organizing and providing feedback on group and individual presentations
Providing information on how to follow proper scientific methodology
Providing constructive and complete written feedback to students

As a teaching assistant, ASG worked for 10 hours per week. Her stipend was in form of a Graduate Teaching Assistantship of X $CA per year. As part of her PhD funding, she also received X for 4.5 years. Besides the 30 hours per week during which she worked as a research and teaching assistant, ASG spent a minimum of 15 hours per week towards her PhD studies, which included taking or auditing courses in X, Y, and Z.

I appreciate the feedback!

TaylorWang

Jun 19, 2012
Parkinson said:
Sorry for your rejection. Your reference letter does not match the "lead statement" which is "assist professors in research activities": assist professors in data analysis and assist professors in preparing journal articles. Your letter indicates that you do these actions by yourself not assisting a faculty member in doing these actions. I know it is ridiculous. But, unfortunately this is what they want!
After searching in this thread, I think you are right. I don't have the content of the letter because it was sealed. I suspect it didn't contain "assisting a faculty member".

Hard to accept this. My question right now is:
1. Is there any chance to appeal by providing a new letter with some argument? I saw someone did but did not work.
2. If I consider reapply, do I need a brand new application with all the documents or I can just use a new RA letter? Because my police certificate has just expired. It is painful process to prepare another one.

Parkinson

Apr 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
18-July-2013
AOR Received.
14-May-2013
Med's Request
5-Jun-2014
Passport Req..
27-Jun-2014
VISA ISSUED...
8-July-2014
TaylorWang said:
After searching in this thread, I think you are right. I don't have the content of the letter because it was sealed. I suspect it didn't contain "assisting a faculty member".

Hard to accept this. My question right now is:
1. Is there any chance to appeal by providing a new letter with some argument? I saw someone did but did not work.
2. If I consider reapply, do I need a brand new application with all the documents or I can just use a new RA letter? Because my police certificate has just expired. It is painful process to prepare another one.
1. Unfortunately, you can not appeal by providing a new letter. Your appeal would be successful only if they made a mistake and your letter really contained what they wanted and they did not consider it.
2.Yes, you need a brand new application with all the documents. You only don't need to send the original IELTS again. A copy is enough and you mention that the original is with CIC. You also don't need to include the police certificate and can send it later... I know it is very painful.

S_Govind

Apr 15, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
15-04-2013
Nomination.....
01-11-2012 (Date of PER)
IELTS Request
Enclosed with the application
File Transfer...
01-11-2012 from CIO to CPP-O
Med's Request
23-11-2013 (RPRF requested on 22-11-2013)
Med's Done....
26-11-2013 Med's Received:06-01-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014, Decision Made:09-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
ASG said:
Hi guys,
could you let me know what you think of this letter:

To whom it may concern:
This letter is in support of ASG's application for Permanent Resident status through the Federal Skilled Worker PhD Stream. ASG worked as a research assistant and teaching assistant in the XXX Department of XXX University from September 2008 to May 2013, when she successfully defended the degree of Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.).
As a research assistant, she assisted me in research activities in the areas of X, Y, and Z. Specifically, she assisted me in the compiling of data, in the analysis of results, and in the preparation of publications in peer-reviewed journals. Her main duties included:
Conducting literature reviews
As a research assistant, ASG conducted several literature reviews of XXXX
Performing laboratory analyses
As a research assistant, ASG performed XXXX
Performing simulation experiments
As a research assistant, ASG conducted simulation experiments to XXX. A publication on this topic was submitted to XXXX.
Compiling and analyzing research results
As a research assistant, ASG analyzed and compiled XXX.
Preparing scholarly publications and writing scientific journal papers
The research that ASG conducted was used to be published in peer-reviewed journals. More specifically, ASG published the following papers: XXXX
As a research assistant, ASG worked 20 hours a week in the X Department. Her stipend as a research assistant was in form of a research assistantship of X $CA per year.

As a teaching assistant, ASG assisted me and other professors and faculty members of X University in their teaching activities. The courses she was involved in included:
X, Y, and Z.
Her duties consisted of:
Looks good to me !. However, in your lead statement you say that you assisted your supervisor in the compilation and publication of results, whilst in the duties you mention that you performed these actions on your own. This to me is contradictory, although I must admit that my updated letters had the same issue and they were accepted . How about re-iterating the word 'assist' in your duties section as well?

I would also highly recommend splitting your work experience as a RA in terms of semesters (e.g: Fall, Winter and Summer) and explicitly mention the number of hours worked per week for each term together with the annual salary. Also, it wouldn't hurt to mention the cumulative hours that you have aggregated over the past so many years.

Good Luck !

maytheflower

Star Member
Sep 16, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
David2013 said:
Just I want to know Did you get your RPRF recently? I checked the tracker and found that we are on the same boat. You application reach CIO on 14 Sep 2012 and mine reach 07 Sep 2012.
Not yet.

David2013

Jul 29, 2013
Dear Friends,

Do you know usually how long does it take to get passport request after medical?
I really appreciate if you could share your experiments.

ASG

Star Member
Aug 18, 2011
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
S_Govind said:
Looks good to me !. However, in your lead statement you say that you assisted your supervisor in the compilation and publication of results, whilst in the duties you mention that you performed these actions on your own. This to me is contradictory, although I must admit that my updated letters had the same issue and they were accepted . How about re-iterating the word 'assist' in your duties section as well?

I would also highly recommend splitting your work experience as a RA in terms of semesters (e.g: Fall, Winter and Summer) and explicitly mention the number of hours worked per week for each term together with the annual salary. Also, it wouldn't hurt to mention the cumulative hours that you have aggregated over the past so many years.

Good Luck !
thanks a lot for these very helpful suggestions!

TaylorWang

Jun 19, 2012
Parkinson said:
1. Unfortunately, you can not appeal by providing a new letter. Your appeal would be successful only if they made a mistake and your letter really contained what they wanted and they did not consider it.
2.Yes, you need a brand new application with all the documents. You only don't need to send the original IELTS again. A copy is enough and you mention that the original is with CIC. You also don't need to include the police certificate and can send it later... I know it is very painful.
I understand. I just got the letter content from my department. This is the letter I submitted in my application before.

This letter verifies that *** is currently a full-time registered Ph.D. student in the Department of *** at the University of ***.

Program Start: September 2010
Estimate of Completion: August 2014

Mr. Wang has been working as a Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) under my supervision throughout the program. His current earning is approximately $*** annually. The current appointment will expire at the end of August 2013.

Mr. Wang's position of GRA involves conducting research-related activities on a daily basis such as experimental measurements, data analysis and report writing. His working hours for the position have averaged 30 hours per week, 48 weeks per year.

Yes, it didn't clearly say I assist my supervisor, which is silly.

What I ask is that it there any chance to appeal based on this letter?
The only thing I can think about is that I am a graduate research assistant, my title indicates that I assist someone in research and that someone is obviously my supervisor. Is this solid? Any other point to appeal?

I don't want to reapply anymore. My total point is below 67 using the new rule. My wife's education does not count any more. And the 5 adaptability points for the 2 year of study is in doubt. I don't want to go through the process and end up with another rejection due to another controversial criterion.

Any help is appreciated.

zhougt

May 15, 2012
Parkinson said:
Have you included any documents including 6 months bank statement and PCCs in your application package? I'm asking this to figure out if they ask for documents even in the case everything is complete.
Hi,

I added my POF (TA/RA contracts, T4, T4A, paystubs) when I updated my reference letter on 01-08-2013 (11:05:46, as dated in GCMS). Then a follow up note is added 20 minutes later saying that "Minimum Funds: Proof of fund seem. I am satisfy that the PA has sufficient funds to meet minimum requirement".

zhougt

May 15, 2012
N_O said:
Thanks for sharing it!
Did you find anything about your updated letter in your GCMS notes? Did they attach it to your file? Did any officer write a note in the end of your GCMS notes regarding initial assessment? ًWhen did RK6165 assign your application to FA01772? Was it right after the PER, after the updated letter or recently? This may help us to understand whether they considered the updated letter or not. However, update it again and send it ASAP, they may contact you after 12 month of filing the application not the PER.
Yes, there is a note on 01-08-2013 (11:05:46, as dated in GCMS) about they've got my updated files. Then a follow up note is added 20 minutes later saying that "Minimum Funds: Proof of fund seem. I am satisfy that the PA has sufficient funds to meet minimum requirement".

1. What do you mean by "did they attach it to your file"?

2. Where to check the time when RK6165 assigned my application to FA01772? I only see the following without any assignment date around.

APPLICATION ASSIGNMENT
Assigned To: FA01772
Assigned By: RK6165
Due Date: 2014/02/09

BTW, I am trying to obtain a new employment letter (written by myself according to the successful cases of ) from our department. But the secretary said she it not *comfortable* about the words I use. I am appealing for helps from Dean of Graduate Studies. Hopefully, DGS can justify my statements.

Here is a copy of my letter. Would it be okay? (The secretary said that she is not comfortable with the words "NOC code 4012" in my employment letter. And also, she is not comfortable to put my RA duties and responsibilities in my letter. How stupid is that?)

November XXX, 2013

To whom it may concern,

I am writing in support of the Permanent Resident application of Mr. XXX, who is currently a PhD student in XXX University. This letter is to verify his full-time continuous employment as a Teaching and Research Assistant (NOC Code: 4012) in our school starting XXX till current date.

As a Teaching Assistant, Mr. XXX is employed to assist professors and faculty members in teaching activities. His main duties and responsibilities include:
1) Organize reference materials for lecturers;
2) Provide tutorials, seminars, discussion groups, office hours and laboratory sessions to supplement lectures;
3) Assist lecturers in preparing and administering examinations;
4) Mark assignments, examinations and reports;

Mr. XXX’s TA assignments have been:
1) Spring XXX, CMPT XXX, $XXX, XXX hours/term
2) Fall XXX, CMPT XXX, $XXX, XXX hours/term

As a Research Assistant, Mr. XXX is employed to assist his supervisor, Dr. XXX, in research activities. His main duties and responsibilities include:
1) Conduct literature reviews, surveys, laboratory experiments and other research for use in scholarly publications;
2) Compile research results and assist his supervisor in the analysis of results and the preparation of conference papers and journal articles;
(See the attached letter for detailed research activities, duties and responsibilities from his supervisor.)

Mr. XXX's RA assignments have been:
1) XXX 2011-XXX 2011, $XXX, XX hours/week
2) XXX

Mr. XXX has received the following scholarships:
1) XXX 2012, $XXX, XXX

Mr. XXX is making satisfactory progress toward the completion of his degree and is expected to complete his studies by XXX.

Sincerely,

XXX

sarsanballa

Star Member
Mar 6, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TaylorWang said:
I understand. I just got the letter content from my department. This is the letter I submitted in my application before.

This letter verifies that *** is currently a full-time registered Ph.D. student in the Department of *** at the University of ***.

Program Start: September 2010
Estimate of Completion: August 2014

Mr. Wang has been working as a Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) under my supervision throughout the program. His current earning is approximately $*** annually. The current appointment will expire at the end of August 2013.

Mr. Wang's position of GRA involves conducting research-related activities on a daily basis such as experimental measurements, data analysis and report writing. His working hours for the position have averaged 30 hours per week, 48 weeks per year.

Yes, it didn't clearly say I assist my supervisor, which is silly.

What I ask is that it there any chance to appeal based on this letter?
The only thing I can think about is that I am a graduate research assistant, my title indicates that I assist someone in research and that someone is obviously my supervisor. Is this solid? Any other point to appeal?

I don't want to reapply anymore. My total point is below 67 using the new rule. My wife's education does not count any more. And the 5 adaptability points for the 2 year of study is in doubt. I don't want to go through the process and end up with another rejection due to another controversial criterion.

Any help is appreciated.
Im really sorry about your situation and I know how it feels cuz I was rejected last year due to the same reason. As for your questions, your chance to win your appeal based on your letter is almost zero, you can try but do not have high expectation.

I applied after May 4, and I got 5 points awarded to my two-year of Ph.D. study. As a matter of fact, I am waiting for the passport from CIC with PR visa. If you are going to apply again, then make sure you have a good, idiot proof reference letter so that you fulfil the minimum work experience requirement.

TaylorWang

Jun 19, 2012
sarsanballa said:
Im really sorry about your situation and I know how it feels cuz I was rejected last year due to the same reason. As for your questions, your chance to win your appeal based on your letter is almost zero, you can try but do not have high expectation.

I applied after May 4, and I got 5 points awarded to my two-year of Ph.D. study. As a matter of fact, I am waiting for the passport from CIC with PR visa. If you are going to apply again, then make sure you have a good, idiot proof reference letter so that you fulfil the minimum work experience requirement.
Thanks for your answer. How could your case be processed so fast? Is it because it is the second application? I saw in the spreadsheet that most people get PR after more than 1 year. Your case is faster than people applied before you. It will be encouraging if the second application can be in a fast track. Is that true?

Besides, I have RA only. It will be vital that I can get that 5 points. Are you sure that it will be awarded consistently without any special luck?

By the way, is the processing time for applications in 2013 faster than before? How fast?

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
zhougt said:
Yes, there is a note on 01-08-2013 (11:05:46, as dated in GCMS) about they've got my updated files. Then a follow up note is added 20 minutes later saying that "Minimum Funds: Proof of fund seem. I am satisfy that the PA has sufficient funds to meet minimum requirement".

1. What do you mean by "did they attach it to your file"?

2. Where to check the time when RK6165 assigned my application to FA01772? I only see the following without any assignment date around.

APPLICATION ASSIGNMENT
Assigned To: FA01772
Assigned By: RK6165
Due Date: 2014/02/09

BTW, I am trying to obtain a new employment letter (written by myself according to the successful cases of ) from our department. But the secretary said she it not *comfortable* about the words I use. I am appealing for helps from Dean of Graduate Studies. Hopefully, DGS can justify my statements.

Here is a copy of my letter. Would it be okay? (The secretary said that she is not comfortable with the words "NOC code 4012" in my employment letter. And also, she is not comfortable to put my RA duties and responsibilities in my letter. How stupid is that?)

November XXX, 2013

To whom it may concern,

I am writing in support of the Permanent Resident application of Mr. XXX, who is currently a PhD student in XXX University. This letter is to verify his full-time continuous employment as a Teaching and Research Assistant (NOC Code: 4012) in our school starting XXX till current date.

As a Teaching Assistant, Mr. XXX is employed to assist professors and faculty members in teaching activities. His main duties and responsibilities include:
1) Organize reference materials for lecturers;
2) Provide tutorials, seminars, discussion groups, office hours and laboratory sessions to supplement lectures;
3) Assist lecturers in preparing and administering examinations;
4) Mark assignments, examinations and reports;

Mr. XXX's TA assignments have been:
1) Spring XXX, CMPT XXX, $XXX, XXX hours/term
2) Fall XXX, CMPT XXX, $XXX, XXX hours/term

As a Research Assistant, Mr. XXX is employed to assist his supervisor, Dr. XXX, in research activities. His main duties and responsibilities include:
1) Conduct literature reviews, surveys, laboratory experiments and other research for use in scholarly publications;
2) Compile research results and assist his supervisor in the analysis of results and the preparation of conference papers and journal articles;
(See the attached letter for detailed research activities, duties and responsibilities from his supervisor.)

Mr. XXX's RA assignments have been:
1) XXX 2011-XXX 2011, $XXX, XX hours/week
2) XXX

Mr. XXX has received the following scholarships:
1) XXX 2012, $XXX, XXX

Mr. XXX is making satisfactory progress toward the completion of his degree and is expected to complete his studies by XXX.

Sincerely,

XXX
Hello Zhougt,

As there is a note regarding the POF which you sent it in the same email, I think they attached your reference letter to your application too. Also check under the incoming section, it will list any item was received by mail or email.
I am not sure how to know the time of assignment too, mine isn't assigned to anyone yet!
Regarding your reference letter, you do not have to list the NOC number also you do not have to sign it from your department, your supervisor can sign it by himself, just make sure it is printed on the department letterhead.

Good luck!