+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

beh467

May 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GeographyPhD said:
Thanks for your help so far. Let me clarify a couple things and copy both letters I received from CIC, the first rejecting my application and the second refusing to consider my appeal - see below.

My worry is about work experience. 37.5 hours/week (or equivalent part time) is required: is this multiplied by 52 weeks (i.e. = 1950). Would I have to demonstrate hour-by-hour work contracts? Thats still a lot of work hours even though I have worked continuously for 5 years -- often the contracts are so small. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quoting letter 1:
The Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism issued instructions which were published in the Canada Gazette on November 5, 2011. These instructions specify that applications from international students who are currently enrolled in a PhD program, or foreign nationals who have completed a PhD program, in a recognized educational institution located in Canada and that are accompanied by the results of the principal applicant's English or French language proficiency assessment are eligible to be processed in the Federal Skilled Worker class.

I have now completed the assessment of your application for a permanent resident visa as a skilled worker. I have determined that you do not meet the requirements for immigration to Canada.

While the Phd program meets one of the requirements of the Ministerial Instructions now in effect, to be eligible for processing, your work experience must still meet the minimal requirements as defined in subsection 75(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations that states that a foreign national is a skilled worker if:

a) within the ten years preceding the date of their application for a permanent resident visa, they, have at least one year of continuous full-time (37.5 hours/week) employment experience as described in subsection 80(7), or the equivalent in continuous part-time employment in one or more occupations, other than a restricted occupation, that are listed in Skill Type 0 Management Occupations or Skill Levels A or B of the National Occupational Classification matrix;

b) during that period of employment they performed the actions described in the lead statement for the occupation as set out in the occupational descriptions of the National Occupational Classification; and

c) during that period of employment they performed a substantial number of the main duties of the occupation as set out in the occupational descriptions of the National Occupational Classification, including all of the essential duties.

I am not satisfied that you meet part B & C of these requirements for the following reasons:

All supporting documentation provided regarding your work experience history was taken into consideration. After reviewing the employment letters from The University of British Columbia, they do not indicate main duties of your work experiences. Therefore, evidence of part B & C cannot be determined.

NOTE: Any work experience listed on schedule 3 of your application that was not supported by employment documentation indicating your main duties and period of employment in that occupation was not accessed.

Subsection 75(3) states that if a foreign national fails to meet these requirements, the application shall be refused and no further assessment is required. I am not satisfied that you meet these requirements.

Subsection 11(1) of the Act states that a foreign national must, before entering Canada, apply to an officer for a visa or for any other document required by the regulations. The visa or document may be issued if, following an examination, the officer is satisfied that the foreign national is not inadmissible and meets the requirements of this Act. Subsection 2(2) specifies that unless otherwise indicated, references in the Act include regulations made under it.

Following an examination of your application, I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Act and the regulations for the reasons explained above. I am therefore refusing your application.

END QUOTE

And the second letter:

This refers to your recent correspondence received at our office requesting reconsideration for your Application for Permanent Residence in Canada under the Federal Skilled Worker Class.

Your application for Permanent Residence in Canada was considered on its substantive merits according to the applicable section of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and was refused. Any different or new information that you have submitted cannot be taken into consideration. A letter explaining the reasons for this final refusal decision was sent to you on 2 February 2013, thereby fully concluding your application.

While your Arranged Employment meets one of the requirements of the Ministerial Instructions now in effect, to be eligible for processing, your work experience must still meet the minimum requirement as defined in IRPA regulations of: at least one year, continuous and paid (full-time or the equivalent in part time) work experience in a level O, A or B occupation on the Canadian National Occupations Classifications list ( NOC ) in the 10 years preceding your application. In reviewing your application, I am not satisfied that your work experience meets these requirements. Subsection 75(3) states that if a foreign national fails to meet these requirements, the application shall be refused and no further assessment is required.

Should you have different or additional information, you may wish to submit a new application. NOTE: The letter you submitted from University [XX] you submitted with your response was not part of your original application and thus cannot be used in a re-assessment. You should understand, however, that a new application would require submission of new processing fees and that any such application would be assessed according to the criteria in effect at that time. As a result, no assurance of success can be offered.
Your work experience reference letters must include the number of hours per week. Work contracts are not a must. You can get a reference letter from your supervisor at work which must include the number of hours per week.

GeographyPhD said:
Also, I should say that they rejected my application before they I re-sent the reference letter but my point is that I'm 99.99% sure that I had sent the letter in the first place. I was not so much asking for re-consideration (because I know decisions are final and no extra material will be considered and no re-assessment will be done), but that my application be considered fairly because as I say, I'm almost certain that I included the letter in the original.

One other question: Do all copies of documents have to be officially signed as true linkesses by a notary/jp? I can understand a passport and birth certificate, but the application also requires copies of degree certificates. Also, do the reference letters have to be signed by a notary/jp?

Thanks.
This clearly shows that they consider the updated letter if it is sent before final assessment.

If you are certain about that, the last option is go to Members of Parliament (MP) of your area and ask them to call Ottawa to check your original application package again. If you have it in your package going to MP can definitely help.

There is no need to notarize the copy of passport or birth certificate. Also, there is no need to have the reference letter signed by notary.
Since my degree was not in English, I sent them the ofiicial translation of my degree.

ASG

Star Member
Aug 18, 2011
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GeographyPhD said:
Also, I should say that they rejected my application before they I re-sent the reference letter but my point is that I'm 99.99% sure that I had sent the letter in the first place. I was not so much asking for re-consideration (because I know decisions are final and no extra material will be considered and no re-assessment will be done), but that my application be considered fairly because as I say, I'm almost certain that I included the letter in the original.

One other question: Do all copies of documents have to be officially signed as true linkesses by a notary/jp? I can understand a passport and birth certificate, but the application also requires copies of degree certificates. Also, do the reference letters have to be signed by a notary/jp?

Thanks.
Be careful with the English test! It has to be less than 2 years old, if it's older you will have to retake it, even if you're from an English speaking country.

hamed_hamed_hamed

Jan 20, 2013
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2013 (Re-app)
Doc's Request.
07-08-2013 & 20-10-2013
Med's Request
06-05-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
GeographyPhD said:

Thanks.
I would say try your best, but at the same time prepare a new application. Put as much as supporting documents you can provide in your app. Some documents such as contracts are not mandatory but they mentioned in the guide that it helps. So attach them if you have any.

beh467

May 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
megha_Ontario said:
My Ecas changed to "A decision has been made on your application. The office will contact you concerning this decision" without PPR :(
Congrats!
You will receive the ppr soon :)

GeographyPhD

Sep 29, 2013
"There is no need to notarize the copy of passport or birth certificate. Also, there is no need to have the reference letter signed by notary.
Since my degree was not in English, I sent them the ofiicial translation of my degree."

- really?! Is this definitely true? For some reason, I thought ALL photocopies had to be signed by a notary. Can someone clarify for certain, please?

Thanks

informer2000

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
megha_Ontario said:
My Ecas changed to "A decision has been made on your application. The office will contact you concerning this decision" without PPR :(
Congratulations!

Am I the only one who can't access his status on eCAS?! Since they updated the site with this new theme, it always tells me that it can't find my information! :(

informer2000

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
GeographyPhD said:
"There is no need to notarize the copy of passport or birth certificate. Also, there is no need to have the reference letter signed by notary.
Since my degree was not in English, I sent them the ofiicial translation of my degree."

- really?! Is this definitely true? For some reason, I thought ALL photocopies had to be signed by a notary. Can someone clarify for certain, please?

Thanks
As far as I understand, what needs to be notarized is what you translate. If it is already in English, you don't need to notarize it. One of the experts here may correct me if I'm wrong.

aidina

Nov 21, 2012
informer2000 said:
Congratulations!

Am I the only one who can't access his status on eCAS?! Since they updated the site with this new theme, it always tells me that it can't find my information! :(
Sometimes happens. I remember mine was inaccessible for 1-2 month.

hamed_hamed_hamed

Jan 20, 2013
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2013 (Re-app)
Doc's Request.
07-08-2013 & 20-10-2013
Med's Request
06-05-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
GeographyPhD said:

Thanks

A certified copy by notary public is only needed when CIC needs the original and you don't have the original. Sometimes CIC only needs a simple copy.
As long as you have the doc in English and is an original, you don't need its copy. If it is not in English, then you can translate it and send it. You can still make a certified copy(by notary public) of the translated doc and send it to CIC.

Sometimes later they also ask for the original though.

wes_hd05

Oct 1, 2013
* Question about RA (Research Assistant) as work experience for the PhD stream *

Hi, could anyone please help clarify this for me? At a PR information session at my university, they said from May 2013 they no longer counted RA as work experience for the Federal skilled worker program. Did anyone recently get rejected or approved, using research assistant as work experience to satisfy the minimum 1 year of work experience required for this class?

Thanks!

myriam

May 26, 2013
Hi everybody,
I have completed 3 years of the PhD program (full time study). Am I eligible for the 5 adaptability points? Thanks