+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

kg.jadu

Star Member
Apr 25, 2012
morena34 said:
As a research assistant, Ms. XXX is responsible for conducting literature reviews, performing experiments in the laboratory, analysis and interpretation of research results, and preparation of journal and conference papers. Her current research focuses on XXX
I agree with kuzey---the letter misses the infamous "lead statement". It should go like this, "Ms. XXX assisted me in the research activities on ...", and I would itemize the duties---this way they stand out and catch eye better. Is this your updated letter of reference, or the original one?

Master3

Star Member
Jan 29, 2013
morena34 said:
Hi kg.jadu, here is the reference letter for RA:

Re: Confirmation of Ms. XXX Research Assistantship

To whom it may concern

I am writing to confirm that Ms. XXX is a PhD student who has been working in my research laboratory, paid as a full-time research assistant (RA) in Chemistry Department at XXX, city, Ontario, Canada since Sep 2009. She works 25 hours per week, with annual salary of CAN$ 20400. This employment will continue until her PhD graduation, with an expected date around August 2014. She has also been teaching assistant (TA) of several courses in our department.

As a research assistant, Ms. XXX is responsible for conducting literature reviews, performing experiments in the laboratory, analysis and interpretation of research results, and preparation of journal and conference papers. Her current research focuses on XXX

Demonstrating high intellectual ability and high caliber in her research, she has made remarkable achievements and contributions, published in conferences and journal papers. In summary, I believe strongly in potential of Ms. XXX as a talented and diligent researcher, which can make contributions to Canadian society, and therefore, I strongly support her application for Canadian permanent residency.
Your letter has missed the "leading statement" :

Post-secondary teaching and research assistants assist university professors ...

Master3

Star Member
Jan 29, 2013
Hi guys.
I sent my updated TA/RA letter by mail ant two email with asking for confirmation but have not received any response yet.
I applied for GCMS too but it takes 30 days.

Does anybody have any idea ?

Parkinson

Apr 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
18-July-2013
AOR Received.
14-May-2013
Med's Request
5-Jun-2014
Passport Req..
27-Jun-2014
VISA ISSUED...
8-July-2014
Master3 said:
Hi guys.
I sent my updated TA/RA letter by mail ant two email with asking for confirmation but have not received any response yet.
I applied for GCMS too but it takes 30 days.

Does anybody have any idea ?
I sent an inquiry yesterday and just after two hours they responded. I put something eye catching in the subject of my email like: Inquiry about Documents ... /application No...

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
Parkinson said:
I sent an inquiry yesterday and just after two hours they responded. I put something eye catching in the subject of my email like: Inquiry about Documents ... /application No...
Did you update the reference letter?

Parkinson

Apr 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
18-July-2013
AOR Received.
14-May-2013
Med's Request
5-Jun-2014
Passport Req..
27-Jun-2014
VISA ISSUED...
8-July-2014
N_O said:
Did you update the reference letter?
No, my supervisor is away... I sent updated PCC.

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
Parkinson said:
No, my supervisor is away... I sent updated PCC.
Wouldn't you ask the department to issue it? I haven't sent mine too, we still have time!

Parkinson

Apr 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
18-July-2013
AOR Received.
14-May-2013
Med's Request
5-Jun-2014
Passport Req..
27-Jun-2014
VISA ISSUED...
8-July-2014
N_O said:
Wouldn't you ask the department to issue it? I haven't sent mine too, we still have time!
No, I'll wait for him to come back...

CuriousGuy

Star Member
Apr 5, 2013
TyrusX said:
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/06/26/women-outpacing-men-at-post-secondary-newcomers-more-educated-than-average-canadian-statscan/

be sure to read the really loving racist posts
Very interesting! If only they would realize what the following words mean to the Canadian economy
"Immigrants, meanwhile, make up half of all those who hold science and technology, math, engineering and computer degrees — the so-called STEM fields."

DanielKevin

Jun 27, 2013
Thank you for sharing this template. But I have a question: who should issue such a letter? Looks like it's from the PhD supervisor. Is the research supervisor, just a prof, sufficient? I was thinking somebody like the department head. Anyone with positive experience of using a work experience letter from PhD supervisor instead of a higher ranked officer?

Thanks!

morena34 said:
Hi kg.jadu, here is the reference letter for RA:

Re: Confirmation of Ms. XXX Research Assistantship

To whom it may concern

I am writing to confirm that Ms. XXX is a PhD student who has been working in my research laboratory, paid as a full-time research assistant (RA) in Chemistry Department at XXX, city, Ontario, Canada since Sep 2009. She works 25 hours per week, with annual salary of CAN$ 20400. This employment will continue until her PhD graduation, with an expected date around August 2014. She has also been teaching assistant (TA) of several courses in our department.

Demonstrating high intellectual ability and high caliber in her research, she has made remarkable achievements and contributions, published in conferences and journal papers. In summary, I believe strongly in potential of Ms. XXX as a talented and diligent researcher, which can make contributions to Canadian society, and therefore, I strongly support her application for Canadian permanent residency.

kg.jadu

Star Member
Apr 25, 2012
DanielKevin said:
Thank you for sharing this template. But I have a question: who should issue such a letter? Looks like it's from the PhD supervisor. Is the research supervisor, just a prof, sufficient? I was thinking somebody like the department head. Anyone with positive experience of using a work experience letter from PhD supervisor instead of a higher ranked officer?
Do not use this template---it has been rejected. Look through the thread history to see other (successful) templates. There has been a large variation in who signed the letter---adviser, graduate secretary, and even departmental chair. But no matter who signs your letter, it must contain (1) hours worked (better to be conservative and put 15--20 hours/week), preferably with the calculated total for the entire employment period; (2) salary; (3) leading statement and (4) sufficient amount of duties for your NOC. Especially critical are (3) and (4)---lots of people got rejected because of these points.

kaziahmmed

Mar 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
4012 and 2142
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20th June, 2012
Doc's Request.
17th January, 2013
Nomination.....
3rd August, 2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
DanielKevin said:

Thanks!
According to the document checklist it could be the manager or some administrative ppl. Doesn't really necessary to be from your supervisor. My letter was issued by our department manager. Or I think graduate cordinator or department head also should be fine. Just make sure they are sealed and signed properly.

kaziahmmed

Mar 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
4012 and 2142
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20th June, 2012
Doc's Request.
17th January, 2013
Nomination.....
3rd August, 2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
DanielKevin said:

Thanks!
Yes I think kg.jadu is absolutely right, its missing the lead statment which we were talking for a while in the thread. It has to be very specifically mention that As a post secondary research assistant he assist me/XXX university Professors in literature rivews...bla ...bla. Make sure you mention substantial main duties. Should do the same for teaching assistant. Try to focus the word ASSIST in the activities, i think this became the issue in most of the case.
Hope this helps.
Kazi