+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

kg.jadu

Star Member
Apr 25, 2012
Hi guys,

I received my GCMS notes on Friday---and they were actually extremely useful for understanding what was going on with my file and how immigration officers work. Now I want to share my story with you.

As you may know, I was rejected on March 29, 2012 because I relied on adaptability points for previous PhD studies. When I wrote to CIO pointing out the specific paragraphs of the IRPA and OP6, they put my application back into processing. What my GCMS notes say, is that the decision has not been reverted, it has been transferred to the visa officer (in CPP-Ottawa). In other words, there is no duality in how CIO and CPP-Ottawa personnel treats the adaptability points---CIO officer who processed my file simply "washed his/her hands" and delegated the decision to somebody else. But thanks to that, I was able to finish my PhD in the meantime and get both adaptability points and the points for the doctoral degree.

On April 26, the CPP-Ottawa (RK6165) requested the POF from me and placed my file for the review by FA01772 with the due date on May 26. RK6165 also initiated my criminality check. 3 days later, my file was looked at by another officer (SL01732) who did preliminary evaluation. His/her recommendation was to reject my application:

I have evaluated this application against the selection criteria for Federal Skilled Workers and make the following recommendations: Age: XX=10 points Education: PhD from YYY. From application form, PA claims more than 17 years of education. Points=25. Work experience: Qualifying period: 17FEB02 to 17FEB12. PA claims the following work experience: 1) Research Assistant (NOC 4012) from SEP08 to FEB12 at YYY. PA submitted the letter of reference dated 7FEB12 which listed duties that do not match the lead statement as there is no indication that PA assisted a faculty member. 2) Teaching Assistant (NOC 4012) from SEP08 to FEB12 at YYY. PA submitted a letter of reference which listed duties that match the lead statement and a substantial number of main duties. PA has an equivalent of 4 months of work experience. 3) Laboratory assistant (NOC 4012) from MAY06 to DEC07 at ZZZ. PA submitted a letter of reference dated 6JAN12 which listed duties that do not match the lead statement as there is no indication that PA assisted a faculty member. No other work experience claimed. PA has an equivalent of 0 years of work experience, less 1 year = 0 points.
Needless to say, my duties were very carefully crafted (me and my adviser spent hours polishing the letter) but the leading statements were missing---simply because "As a Research Assistant, Mr. Kg.Jadu was assisting Prof. AAA in the research in solid-state physics" sounded kind of silly to us. (WRONG---immigration officers don't think so.) Luckily for me, on April 30, RK6165 attached to my file an updated letter of reference for my RA/TA. (Asbereth knows that I prepared it in April in response to the many rejections we saw on this forum, but for some reason the letter was not attached to my file, so I had to send it once again on April 30.) Then, on May 24, the file was reviewed again (I assume, by FA01772), and I received an email advising that I passed eligibility and was asked to pay the RPRF. The email was from GG06553, not from FA01772. And on May 25, I received a medical request. My assumption is (fingers crossed) that the officer who reviewed my application on May 24 considered the updated letter of reference and did not take into account SL01732's recommendation to reject my application. I ordered new GCMS report immediately after receiving the old one to see what exactly happened to my file. I hope I'm not missing anything at this point because I just did my medical exam and paid $450 in cash, so it would suck to be rejected at this point. ;)

I hope this information will help other applicants. Remember that anything you send to the CPP-Ottawa office will be considered, but you have to make sure your additional information is received before the rejection and is attached to your file. (Because sometimes it doesn't, as aidina and I now know.) Also, I am now convinced that CIO is not a real decision-maker, so never assume if you received PER, it means you're almost there.

P.S. By the way, if you want to study your GCMS notes in detail, it makes sense to start reading them from the end---this is where the officers put their notes. Then proceed backwards and read about all the movement of your file between officers and offices. If you don't want to study the notes in detail, then first 1--5 pages contain the summary of your file and should be enough to get a general idea of where you stand. Though, as I said, I found it extremely useful to invest the time and carefully study my notes.

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
kg.jadu said:
Hi guys,

I received my GCMS notes on Friday---and they were actually extremely useful for understanding what was going on with my file and how immigration officers work. Now I want to share my story with you.

As you may know, I was rejected on March 29, 2012 because I relied on adaptability points for previous PhD studies. When I wrote to CIO pointing out the specific paragraphs of the IRPA and OP6, they put my application back into processing. What my GCMS notes say, is that the decision has not been reverted, it has been transferred to the visa officer (in CPP-Ottawa). In other words, there is no duality in how CIO and CPP-Ottawa personnel treats the adaptability points---CIO officer who processed my file simply "washed his/her hands" and delegated the decision to somebody else. But thanks to that, I was able to finish my PhD in the meantime and get both adaptability points and the points for the doctoral degree.

On April 26, the CPP-Ottawa (RK6165) requested the POF from me and placed my file for the review by FA01772 with the due date on May 26. RK6165 also initiated my criminality check. 3 days later, my file was looked at by another officer (SL01732) who did preliminary evaluation. His/her recommendation was to reject my application:

Needless to say, my duties were very carefully crafted (me and my adviser spent hours polishing the letter) but the leading statements were missing---simply because "As a Research Assistant, Mr. Kg.Jadu was assisting Prof. AAA in the research in solid-state physics" sounded kind of silly to us. (WRONG---immigration officers don't think so.) Luckily for me, on April 30, RK6165 attached to my file an updated letter of reference for my RA/TA. (Asbereth knows that I prepared it in April in response to the many rejections we saw on this forum, but for some reason the letter was not attached to my file, so I had to send it once again on April 30.) Then, on May 24, the file was reviewed again (I assume, by FA01772), and I received an email advising that I passed eligibility and was asked to pay the RPRF. The email was from GG06553, not from FA01772. And on May 25, I received a medical request. My assumption is (fingers crossed) that the officer who reviewed my application on May 24 considered the updated letter of reference and did not take into account SL01732's recommendation to reject my application. I ordered new GCMS report immediately after receiving the old one to see what exactly happened to my file. I hope I'm not missing anything at this point because I just did my medical exam and paid $450 in cash, so it would suck to be rejected at this point. ;)

I hope this information will help other applicants. Remember that anything you send to the CPP-Ottawa office will be considered, but you have to make sure your additional information is received before the rejection and is attached to your file. (Because sometimes it doesn't, as aidina and I now know.) Also, I am now convinced that CIO is not a real decision-maker, so never assume if you received PER, it means you're almost there.

P.S. By the way, if you want to study your GCMS notes in detail, it makes sense to start reading them from the end---this is where the officers put their notes. Then proceed backwards and read about all the movement of your file between officers and offices. If you don't want to study the notes in detail, then first 1--5 pages contain the summary of your file and should be enough to get a general idea of where you stand. Though, as I said, I found it extremely useful to invest the time and carefully study my notes.
Thanks for sharing your experience! So your first letter didn't mention anywhere that you were assisting your professor? Even the duty that says "assist professor in analysis of results and preparation of journal articles or papers" ?
I am asking as my letter does not contain the leading statement but it does state that I assist my professor in analysis of results.
I'd appreciate your answer!

anjuku

Mar 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo (now transferred to Ottawa)
NOC Code......
4011 and 4012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2012
Doc's Request.
16-05-2013
Nomination.....
25-04-2012 (PER)
IELTS Request
SENT WITH APPLICATION (OVERALL BAND SCORE 8.5)
Med's Request
17-05-2013
Med's Done....
23-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-06-2013; Passports sent in on 22-06- 2013; Passports received by ottawa on 25-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
visas received on July 9, 2013
LANDED..........
July 10, 2013
in my case the word assisting was just in the duties and not in the lead statement...but it was accepted....so you should be fine ;)

anjuku

Mar 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4011 and 4012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2012
Doc's Request.
16-05-2013
Nomination.....
25-04-2012 (PER)
IELTS Request
Med's Request
17-05-2013
Med's Done....
23-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-06-2013; Passports sent in on 22-06- 2013; Passports received by ottawa on 25-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 10, 2013
kg.jadu said:
Hi guys,

thanks for sharing...i have also ordered another set of CAIPS yesterday to see what's happening with my file!...so what is the status of your eligibility,, security, criminality and medical checks as per the CAIPS you just got?....are they all in progress?...

anjuku

Mar 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4011 and 4012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2012
Doc's Request.
16-05-2013
Nomination.....
25-04-2012 (PER)
IELTS Request
Med's Request
17-05-2013
Med's Done....
23-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 10, 2013
Hey guys,
My ecas says decision made now!...i don't know if this is good news or bad news since i still havn't sent them my updated PCCs!!... ???

S_Govind

Apr 15, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
15-04-2013
Nomination.....
01-11-2012 (Date of PER)
IELTS Request
Enclosed with the application
File Transfer...
01-11-2012 from CIO to CPP-O
Med's Request
23-11-2013 (RPRF requested on 22-11-2013)
Med's Done....
26-11-2013 Med's Received:06-01-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014, Decision Made:09-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
kg.jadu said:
Btw, does anyone know what is the difference between the "security" and "criminality" checks?
In the case of a criminality check, your name and date of birth are run against existing databases such as the national repository of criminal records of Canada initially. CIC and RCMP have a secure electronic transmission system and hence the results are almost instant. In case of a hit fingerprints are requested. This stage is also based on your criminal record in your home country and any country in which you have lived for more than 6 years and hence the need for police certificates. Here they also check for any outstanding entries (immigration record), convictions under provincial statues etc.

Security is more detailed and is handled by the CSIS. Your name is again run against a database and against a country specific profile to see if you are a security threat to the nation by engaging in acts of espionage, subversion etc etc. They issue a no reportable trace report if they have no issues or issue an information or security brief in case they have one. They use the information on your background declaration form, your travels for this analysis I assume. Hope this was helpful

S_Govind

Apr 15, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
15-04-2013
Nomination.....
01-11-2012 (Date of PER)
IELTS Request
Enclosed with the application
File Transfer...
01-11-2012 from CIO to CPP-O
Med's Request
23-11-2013 (RPRF requested on 22-11-2013)
Med's Done....
26-11-2013 Med's Received:06-01-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014, Decision Made:09-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
a_nashed said:
Hi,
An update on my case....got medical request :)
congrats ! one step closer to becoming a PR

aidina

Nov 21, 2012
anjuku said:
Hey guys,
My ecas says decision made now!...i don't know if this is good news or bad news since i still havn't sent them my updated PCCs!!... ???
That is for sure a good one. They are super fast about some of the applicants and very slow about others like me :). Congrat!

anjuku

Mar 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4011 and 4012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2012
Doc's Request.
16-05-2013
Nomination.....
25-04-2012 (PER)
IELTS Request
Med's Request
17-05-2013
Med's Done....
23-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 10, 2013
aidina said:
That is for sure a good one. They are super fast about some of the applicants and very slow about others like me :). Congrat!
thanks aidina..i'm wondering why they asked me for updated PCCs from India then?...the ones i submitted with my application expired early this May...so maybe they just want to keep updated ones for their records??...who knows!..anyways good luck with your application...hopefully it'll move faster from now onwards ;)

kg.jadu

Star Member
Apr 25, 2012
S_Govind said:
In the case of a criminality check, your name and date of birth are run against existing databases such as the national repository of criminal records of Canada initially. CIC and RCMP have a secure electronic transmission system and hence the results are almost instant. In case of a hit fingerprints are requested. This stage is also based on your criminal record in your home country and any country in which you have lived for more than 6 years and hence the need for police certificates. Here they also check for any outstanding entries (immigration record), convictions under provincial statues etc.

Security is more detailed and is handled by the CSIS. Your name is again run against a database and against a country specific profile to see if you are a security threat to the nation by engaging in acts of espionage, subversion etc etc. They issue a no reportable trace report if they have no issues or issue an information or security brief in case they have one. They use the information on your background declaration form, your travels for this analysis I assume. Hope this was helpful
Thank you! This is very helpful.

anjuku said:
thanks for sharing...i have also ordered another set of CAIPS yesterday to see what's happening with my file!...so what is the status of your eligibility,, security, criminality and medical checks as per the CAIPS you just got?....are they all in progress?...
As of May 3, my eligibility check was failed, security was not started, and criminality was in progress. RCMP screening returned "no reportable trace" and, as S_Govind said, it was almost instant (took 15 min or so). Because I was rejected in March 2012, my due dates were a mess---first all checks were scheduled by a service delivery agent (who also was not sure if I have enough points, so he referred my case to a program support officer). The program support officer rejected my application and canceled all checks. Following my letter, the same officer resumed my checks but somehow input completely weird due dates that expired back in 2012.

anjuku, a_nashed, and edwin83: Congratulations guys!

anjuku

Mar 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4011 and 4012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2012
Doc's Request.
16-05-2013
Nomination.....
25-04-2012 (PER)
IELTS Request
Med's Request
17-05-2013
Med's Done....
23-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 10, 2013
kg.jadu said:
Thank you! This is very helpful.

As of May 3, my eligibility check was failed, security was not started, and criminality was in progress. RCMP screening returned "no reportable trace" and, as S_Govind said, it was almost instant (took 15 min or so). Because I was rejected in March 2012, my due dates were a mess---first all checks were scheduled by a service delivery agent (who also was not sure if I have enough points, so he referred my case to a program support officer). The program support officer rejected my application and canceled all checks. Following my letter, the same officer resumed my checks but somehow input completely weird due dates that expired back in 2012.

anjuku, a_nashed, and edwin83: Congratulations guys!
thanks !...how did you know it is as of May3...can you please tell me where it says on the caips the date till which it reflects your file's progress?
is it the requested date on the top??

kg.jadu

Star Member
Apr 25, 2012
anjuku said:
thanks !...how did you know it is as of May3...can you please tell me where it says on the caips the date till which it reflects your file's progress?
is it the requested date on the top??
At the bottom of a page, it says "Time Generated" and "Date Generated", so I assume this is when the file has been printed.