+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

galaxytab

Feb 27, 2013
I am having a real trouble getting the employment letter from my supervisor. He doesn't agree that I do all of the duties mentioned in the NOC 4012. He also claims that I was not assisting him, he was assisting me to get my PhD! Crazy, right?
So, he agrees to write "I am a research assistant", but not "I was assisting him"!

As I mentioned earlier, the letter that I got from our department also has an issue: I have been alternating between TA and RA, and in the semesters that I TAed, I have not received any RA payment. So, if CIC considers my TA and RA jobs separately, I don't have a one year continuous experience, while I have been a PhD student for about 5 years.

What do you think about getting a letter from the department stating that:

Mr X has been employed by our department since t1 to t2 ...
RA for an average of 15.5 hours per week and is paid an average of 8600 CAD per year.
TA for an average of 5.6 hours per week and is paid an average of 10800 CAD per year.

Without any details about the hours per semester and include my duties for TA and RA separately.
What do you think?

bluelotus

Star Member
Jul 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC
NOC Code......
2147, 4011, 4012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-10-2013
Doc's Request.
NA
AOR Received.
23-12-2013
Med's Request
23-07-2014
Passport Req..
26-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24-10-2014
LANDED..........
20-11-2014
mirzathegr8 said:
May be you are right. But I remember some of the guys got rejection only because of this but that was around one and half year back. May be they have changed the rule now.
It is very unfortunate if those guys are rejected based on this ground only. You're right too: we should ensure to be on the safe side.

bluelotus

Star Member
Jul 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC
NOC Code......
2147, 4011, 4012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-10-2013
Doc's Request.
NA
AOR Received.
23-12-2013
Med's Request
23-07-2014
Passport Req..
26-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24-10-2014
LANDED..........
20-11-2014
galaxytab said:
I am having a real trouble getting the employment letter from my supervisor. He doesn't agree that I do all of the duties mentioned in the NOC 4012. He also claims that I was not assisting him, he was assisting me to get my PhD! Crazy, right?
So, he agrees to write "I am a research assistant", but not "I was assisting him"!

As I mentioned earlier, the letter that I got from our department also has an issue: I have been alternating between TA and RA, and in the semesters that I TAed, I have not received any RA payment. So, if CIC considers my TA and RA jobs separately, I don't have a one year continuous experience, while I have been a PhD student for about 5 years.

RA for an average of 15.5 hours per week and is paid an average of 8600 CAD per year.
TA for an average of 5.6 hours per week and is paid an average of 10800 CAD per year.

Without any details about the hours per semester and include my duties for TA and RA separately.
What do you think?
If you supervisor does not want to include "you assist him", it can be the deal-breaker :(. However if you can manage a similar letter from the dept. with the mention of "you assist your supervisor in XYZ RA duties", then collect that letter and avoid sending your supervisor letter. The language you proposed for the dept. letter is also ok to me since you have certain gaps in TA duties. But your RA is continuous. So convince your dept. to add "Mr X has been employed continuously by our department since t1 to t2".

PhdStream

Aug 7, 2013
vivi said:
Anybody recently got his/her PR card?
I landed on November 8, but I haven't received my PR card yet. When I was landing, the officer checked the CIC website and told me the current processing time for issuing the PR card is 19 days. Later I checked the website and saw the processing time is 16 days. Now it is changed to 24 day. It is now 26 days since I have landed, but no PR card yet.
I am in the same situation. I landed on 7th Nov and still waiting for the card. I have to travel abroad end of this month and its worrying me :(

darkknight1

Oct 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-06-2014
Doc's Request.
NONE
AOR Received.
14-10-2014
Med's Request
31-10-2014
Med's Done....
16-11-2014
Passport Req..
09-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2015
LANDED..........
18-03-2015
hi all,

Usually request (MR/PPR/RPRF) comes on Friday/Monday (in most of the cases).
i strongly feel that this is going to be a PPR friday. :D
:p

darkknight1

Oct 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-06-2014
Doc's Request.
NONE
AOR Received.
14-10-2014
Med's Request
31-10-2014
Med's Done....
16-11-2014
Passport Req..
09-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2015
LANDED..........
18-03-2015
PhdStream said:
I am in the same situation. I landed on 7th Nov and still waiting for the card. I have to travel abroad end of this month and its worrying me :(
i heard that there is a temporary travel receipt something. please check this link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=064&t=10

rinal2174

Star Member
Jul 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2014
Nomination.....
PER: 13-08-2014
Med's Request
14-10-2014
Med's Done....
29-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12-12-2014
Dear Forum members

I am not part of PhD stream, but i have a question related to Phd. I thought that you all will be the right people to answer it, sorry for breaking your flow.

I am an applicant of FSW 2014 in NOC 4011 from NDVO. Waiting for Passport request.

Working as Assistant professor in a reputed Management institute affiliated to Gujarat Technological University, India. I am pursuing my PhD program from the same uni.

I have completed 2 years in program and still left with 3 years alltogether.

My dilemma is: Is Indian PhD degree valuable in Canada? Can I get an academic job in College or Uni in Canada with Indian PhD? Or without PhD also academic Jobs are available?

In short, Should i continue with Indian PhD or Should take up Canadian PhD course in near future?

All your suggestions are valuable. Please reply. Thanks.

cantaloupe

Star Member
Jul 25, 2014
Ontario
If you need to travel abroad before you get your PR card, you'll have two options:

1. If your destination is in the US or you can devise a return route via the US (=you have a US visa or are visa exempt), you can cross the border in a non-commercial vehicle by showing a valid passport and your CoPR.

2. If the above solution doesn't work for you, you should obtain a travel document from a Canadian consulate or high commission in your destination country. The processing times for a permanent resident travel document varies, but they're normally not too quick. This option is usually inconvenient (and costs minimum $50) and may disrupt your travel plans.

Hope you'll get your card soon.

PhdStream said:

Dark_Diamond

Nov 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC_Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
darkknight1 said:
hi all,

Thanks for the good wishesh. Viva darkknight :) :)

specialmary

Jun 18, 2012
rinal2174 said:
Dear Forum members

I am not part of PhD stream, but i have a question related to Phd. I thought that you all will be the right people to answer it, sorry for breaking your flow.

I am an applicant of FSW 2014 in NOC 4011 from NDVO. Waiting for Passport request.

Working as Assistant professor in a reputed Management institute affiliated to Gujarat Technological University, India. I am pursuing my PhD program from the same uni.

I have completed 2 years in program and still left with 3 years alltogether.

My dilemma is: Is Indian PhD degree valuable in Canada? Can I get an academic job in College or Uni in Canada with Indian PhD? Or without PhD also academic Jobs are available?

In short, Should i continue with Indian PhD or Should take up Canadian PhD course in near future?

All your suggestions are valuable. Please reply. Thanks.
It depends on your field. In general it is difficult to obtain any job, including academic job, even you have a PhD that is obtained in Canada. You may need to consider working outside academia. However, there are more business academic positions than other social science academic positions. Therefore, there may be a chance.

Given that it is already difficult for a Canadian Ph.D. to obtain an academic job, you can imagine your competitiveness if you do not have outstanding publications or excellent teaching records. You may need to consider working in a company, etc.

nightrain

May 20, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-11-2014
Doc's Request.
16-11-2015 (Police certificate)
AOR Received.
09-02-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with the application
Med's Request
29-04-2015
Med's Done....
07-05-2015
Passport Req..
05-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
18-01-2016
LANDED..........
18-01-2016
Adamant said:
Thanks for the reply. Thats relieve me a little bit for sure. But as you know CIC is always very unpredictable. This is my second application, last time they refused me after charging my CC without the file number and obviously now you would like to know why they reject? It was just bcoz of the bloody work experience letter which they did not found quite detail. I have asked for the fees but they have refused also. Sorry if I am scaring you guys but we have to hold our heart for any situation. This was my experience :(((.
Hi Adamant, can you plz share some details why did they reject you first time? What part of your experience letter they didn't find detailed enough? I have never heard that someone got application rejected with a fault in the letter but got charged with CC. This seems odd. Can someone senior plz comment if this is an unusual practice or what?

Thnx!

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can you not ask someone else to write the letter? Like the department chair? And ask that person to include all the duties and your supervisor's name. I know some supervisors specially assistant professors are very difficult to convince but if the chair writes the letter all will be fine.

galaxytab said:

What do you think?

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I will be closely monitoring the spreadsheet today! However I still have the bitter flavor from Xpresspost, so if I get passport request to be sent via Xpresspost only I will not feel happy at all :(

darkknight1 said:
hi all,

galaxytab

Feb 27, 2013
Not really. My supervisor and the grad admin of the department are the only options for me. Could you please comment on the format that I mentioned in my original post:

Mr X has been employed by our department continuously since t1 to t2 ...

How does it sound?

Is there anyone here who got accepted by such a letter? Because it seems to me that the letter has all the info required by CIC, but no extra details.

pepe84 said:
Can you not ask someone else to write the letter? Like the department chair? And ask that person to include all the duties and your supervisor's name. I know some supervisors specially assistant professors are very difficult to convince but if the chair writes the letter all will be fine.

mirzathegr8

Star Member
Jul 26, 2013
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 3, 2014
Doc's Request.
September 10, 2014
IELTS Request
with application
Med's Request
September 11, 2014
Med's Done....
October 23, 2014
Passport Req..
January 8, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
January 21, 2015
LANDED..........
February 2, 2015
May your feelings come true......... finger crossed :)

darkknight1 said:
hi all,