Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

If you are applying under Canadian Experience Class, full time or part time work while being student does not count at all. But if you keep a good academic standing and also work full time, I don't think it will affect your PR application under the FSW class. Also, you don't need to state in the reference letter whether your work is towards your PhD thesis or not. Keep in mind that this FSW-PhD stream, not CEC.

RA_toronto said:
I understand where you're coming from. However in my university we study (and paid) full time in summer so we don't have a summer break. Note that studying doesn't necessarily mean taking courses, it also means doing research as part of a PhD program. The director of graduate student services in my school wrote the below text when my supervisor asked for advice on how many hours to write. Based on what she said, I don't think it's a good idea to claim 35 hours, even in summer. Of course this is just my personal opinion and my personal interpretation, and you may disagree.

"We have to be careful because we cannot imply that students worked full-time as that would be a violation of their study permit and also, not in keeping with institutional and OCGS expectations about what constitutes “full-time” study. Student applications have actually been refused because of the inherent contradiction. However, we obviously want to help students with their PR application!

The Centre for International Experience has advised us that CIC recommends that “[institutions] should discourage students from working more than 20 hours a week, reminding them that they must study full-time and maintain satisfactory academic standing in order to remain eligible for the program.” So, we should not mention that students work part-time for more than 20 hours a week."

Saph

Feb 17, 2014
Hi

I have sent my requested documents to CIC two weeks ago by email. I sent an email a week after to check wether they have received the requested documents or not? No response :(. I am worried about that :(. Is there any other way to ensure they have the requested documents in my file? I appreciate your help, guys.
I checked my permanent residency status online, as well. It says they have received medical reports but says nothing about additional documents have been received!

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear All,

Has any of you got their application rejected because of full time hours for RA work experience? I am becoming concerned because NOWHERE in the CIC website says that work experience gained while being a student will not count under the FSW class. This is only for Canadian Experience, not for the FSW category. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=855&t=6

Also, do we need to state in the reference letter that the RA work is not related to the PhD thesis? If we say so, many of us will be literally lying.

Thanks in advance, your response is much appreciated.

Viva2014

Jun 10, 2014
pepe84 said:
Dear All,

Has any of you got their application rejected because of full time hours for RA work experience? I am becoming concerned because NOWHERE in the CIC website says that work experience gained while being a student will not count under the FSW class. This is only for Canadian Experience, not for the FSW category. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=855&t=6

Also, do we need to state in the reference letter that the RA work is not related to the PhD thesis? If we say so, many of us will be literally lying.

Thanks in advance, your response is much appreciated.
Hi Pepe,

Don't worry. I have seen many applicants who applied with full time claim and got accepted.
Your RA duties should be different from your study. For that reason writing "assist" is essential as it means that you have been working for your supervisor and not studying your own project.

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks a lot, I did include the magic word Assist, LOL, I didn't know how important it was until now.

Thanks Viva2014

Viva2014 said:
Hi Pepe,

Don't worry. I have seen many applicants who applied with full time claim and got accepted.
Your RA duties should be different from your study. For that reason writing "assist" is essential as it means that you have been working for your supervisor and not studying your own project.

Viva2014

Jun 10, 2014
daretobenku said:
For this, I have one question. If we say we work 20 hours per week then we could not meet the work experience requirements
"at least one year of continuous, paid full-time (or part-time equivalent) work experience in a managerial, professional or technical occupation within the last 10 years (skill type 0, or skill level A or B in the 2011 version of the National Occupational Classification);" at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/permanent.asp
As a PhD student, you have to finish at least two years before being eligible for applying. It means that you have been working for at least two years for 20 hours per week which is equal to more than 1 year full time paid work experience.

RA_toronto

Star Member
Jun 3, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-09-2013
AOR Received.
06-12-2013
File Transfer...
06-12-2013
Med's Request
14-07-2014
Med's Done....
16-07-2014
Passport Req..
12-08-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-09-2014
LANDED..........
08-10-2014
Why wouldn't you meet work experience requirements? 2 years toward the PhD program would be 2 years of part time work and with 20 hours/week, it would easily be equivalent to 1 year of full time work. Am I missing something?

daretobenku said:
For this, I have one question. If we say we work 20 hours per week then we could not meet the work experience requirements
"at least one year of continuous, paid full-time (or part-time equivalent) work experience in a managerial, professional or technical occupation within the last 10 years (skill type 0, or skill level A or B in the 2011 version of the National Occupational Classification);" at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/permanent.asp

nima2000

Star Member
Oct 2, 2012
Hi everyone. I have not been in the forum for a long time. Actually I got my rejection in December 2013, because I am a Quebec resident and the officer was not satisfied that I am going to leave the Quebec. Anyway, I finished my PhD in December 2013. I have been working as a postdoc since Jan 2014 in Quebec. I just got a job offer in Calgary.

So I was wondering under what category it would be the best for me to apply again.

1)I think I have 1 year after my graduation to apply again under PhD stream. However,apparently now they need equivalent for the Master and bachelor degree, which is going to a long process(?).
2)Is there any other program for Alberta resident, who hold a Canadian degree, which I can apply under that?
3)Is this 10 months of post doc helpful for any of these categories?

I really appreciate it if you can give me some advise/recommendation.

Thanks a lot,

yahia.eldemerdash

Oct 18, 2013
nima2000 said:
Hi everyone. I have not been in the forum for a long time. Actually I got my rejection in December 2013, because I am a Quebec resident and the officer was not satisfied that I am going to leave the Quebec. Anyway, I finished my PhD in December 2013. I have been working as a postdoc since Jan 2014 in Quebec. I just got a job offer in Calgary.

So I was wondering under what category it would be the best for me to apply again.

1)I think I have 1 year after my graduation to apply again under PhD stream. However,apparently now they need equivalent for the Master and bachelor degree, which is going to a long process(?).
2)Is there any other program for Alberta resident, who hold a Canadian degree, which I can apply under that?
3)Is this 10 months of post doc helpful for any of these categories?

I really appreciate it if you can give me some advise/recommendation.

Thanks a lot,

As you have the highest degree from Canada, there is no need to get the equivalent for the MAster and Bachelor degrees.

nima2000

Star Member
Oct 2, 2012
Thanks for the reply. Do you think it is better/faster to apply under CEC compared to PhD stream. However, I just noticed that people are getting their medical after 5-6 months (under PhD stream), which is waaay faster than a couple of years ago when I applied!

yahia.eldemerdash said:
As you have the highest degree from Canada, there is no need to get the equivalent for the MAster and Bachelor degrees.

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My best advice is that you apply under the PhD stream, but you gotta move quick as it will terminate by the end of the year.

In addition, you have mentioned you got a job offer from Calgary. Has it been approved by HR Canada? Did you get an LMO? If so, you can apply under the FSW with a job offer category. This will be way faster than PhD stream.

Best luck!

nima2000 said:
Thanks for the reply. Do you think it is better/faster to apply under CEC compared to PhD stream. However, I just noticed that people are getting their medical after 5-6 months (under PhD stream), which is waaay faster than a couple of years ago when I applied!

nima2000

Star Member
Oct 2, 2012
I have not had the LMO yet. I just got the offer. I have not even moved.
Is the new document package for PhD stream in the following link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/EG7TOC.asp#eg73

Has the PhD cap filled yet or not?
Thanks

pepe84 said:
My best advice is that you apply under the PhD stream, but you gotta move quick as it will terminate by the end of the year.

In addition, you have mentioned you got a job offer from Calgary. Has it been approved by HR Canada? Did you get an LMO? If so, you can apply under the FSW with a job offer category. This will be way faster than PhD stream.

Best luck!