Interesting!

absolute_boy97

Star Member
Feb 14, 2013
Parkinson said:
I found this on CIC website about TA and RA:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=855&t=6

Interesting!
I think it does not concern the Phd students who are also TA/RA s. It is mentioned as a general guideline.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
Parkinson said:
I found this on CIC website about TA and RA:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=855&t=6

Interesting!
That is a very interesting link. I don't think it changes anything though, and it goes on to show that our understanding on whether TA/RA would count has been correct all along.

sebastianderp

Star Member
Aug 4, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-09-2014
Nomination.....
07-01-2015
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
23-02-2015
Med's Done....
03-03-2015
Passport Req..
13-05-2015 (DM 15-05-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
20-05-2015 (Passport back on 28-05-2015)
LANDED..........
31-05-2015
Hi All,

I've been following this thread for the past few months in preparing my application for the PhD stream.
I've benefited a lot from the precious experience shared by you guys.

I filed my application and it was delivered to CIO today. Wishing good luck to all of you who are still waiting in this long journey.
Also may you all be productive and publish tons of papers :D

-derp

modelcitizen

Sep 18, 2014
Hi guys

I was able to reach a CIC agent by phone earlier today to ask about "payment only recorded on T4A" issue. After a 2minutes hold, the agent never denied nor absolute confirmed that this is something valid in PhD/FSW application but suggest me could include T4A, payslips and maybe a letter of explanation if necessary. And He also emphasized the fact that if emplyement the letter could show the amount of payment actually received by applicant and approriate duties according to the titles, that should be OK.

Just wondering do you guys ever provide letter of explanation sort of thing? And paystubs?
My payslips shows "scholarship/fellow monthly" for my RA payment, what do you guys get in your paystubs??

cantaloupe

Star Member
Jul 25, 2014
Ontario
modelcitizen said:
Hi guys

I was able to reach a CIC agent by phone earlier today to ask about "payment only recorded on T4A" issue. After a 2minutes hold, the agent never denied nor absolute confirmed that this is something valid in PhD/FSW application but suggest me could include T4A, payslips and maybe a letter of explanation if necessary. And He also emphasized the fact that if emplyement the letter could show the amount of payment actually received by applicant and approriate duties according to the titles, that should be OK.

Just wondering do you guys ever provide letter of explanation sort of thing? And paystubs?
My payslips shows "scholarship/fellow monthly" for my RA payment, what do you guys get in your paystubs??
I guess there's no point in including paystubs, tax slips, or notice of assessment breakdowns for T4A-research assistantship, because such documents do not add any value or basis of credibility to a reference letter from a Canadian University professor! And in my opinion this is definitely not misrepresentation; there is no law or ministerial instruction whatsoever that prevents a job for which the wage has been legally tax exempt, from being approved for FSW-3. The only requirements are 1. Matching an NOC, 2. Being continuous for at least 52x30 hours, and 3. being paid for.
I wonder why you would want to add an unnecessary item to your file that needs an "explanation letter" to avoid ambiguity? :)

Fid0

Sep 16, 2014
Re: T4A and notice of assessment for RA in PhD stream

modelcitizen said:
Hi Fid0
Thank you so much for sharing your experience!
I've found a google doc of previous successful reference letter from previous posts (//docs.google.com/document/d/1rRI4xdVpgbh8Ko1p5S9KvwXf7B7UuTCKLBpKL2xasps/edit) the link is here for any new comers!:)
If you don't mind, can I ask your some questions further about your experience? I believe our cases have a lot in common.

1.Which one, the RA or TA, is your main work experience that you used to claim the 1 year mininum work experience?

2.It seems to me that your RA salary is mentioned in both your supervisor and department letter, correct?

3.And other than that, did you provide any payslips or paystubs along with your application package?since you didn't included those T4/T4As or NOAs.Cause my payslips showed "scholarships/fellow monthly" all my RA income, I kind of concern that this would cause confusions to officers who might think this is only related to scholarships/bursaries not my actual working performance.

4.And last question, can you also share your timeline?

Thank you some much again for your info! :)
Hi again,

1-I think RA letter is the most important one as it fulfill the NOC requirements. I have submitted the TA letter just as complimentary.
2- Yes my RA salary was in both letters.
3- I did not provide any pay stubs and it is not necessary to do so nor for the T4s. I think they can have access to these as they are governmental department.
4- I submitted my application on Jan 2014 and received my Med request on Sep.

About explanation letter, you can do so if it is very critical and needed. My suggestion is not to increase the paper work or confuse the officer with unimportant stuff.

aalm

Star Member
Jul 8, 2013
Hi all,
I will hopefully be landing through Rainbow Bridge this week by walking.
Any tips? Dos and Don'ts?
What documents should I have?

Thanks all.

sia_kb8

Star Member
Feb 4, 2013
aalm said:
Hi all,
I will hopefully be landing through Rainbow Bridge this week by walking.
Any tips? Dos and Don'ts?
What documents should I have?

Thanks all.
Hmmmm. Are you sure you can walk? I have never seen anyone walk across.

aalm

Star Member
Jul 8, 2013
Yeah, I have seen people walk. There is one pathway for it and most people without US VISA do it as there no place to park in the US Side. No U-turn.
I am worrying about I-94. Just a few months back, I crossed border they didn't give me any I-94 (I have valid US VISA).
But in the forum, people seem to get I-94.

sia_kb8 said:
Hmmmm. Are you sure you can walk? I have never seen anyone walk across.

modelcitizen

Sep 18, 2014
cantaloupe said:
I guess there's no point in including paystubs, tax slips, or notice of assessment breakdowns for T4A-research assistantship, because such documents do not add any value or basis of credibility to a reference letter from a Canadian University professor! And in my opinion this is definitely not misrepresentation; there is no law or ministerial instruction whatsoever that prevents a job for which the wage has been legally tax exempt, from being approved for FSW-3. The only requirements are 1. Matching an NOC, 2. Being continuous for at least 52x30 hours, and 3. being paid for.
I wonder why you would want to add an unnecessary item to your file that needs an "explanation letter" to avoid ambiguity? :)
Hi cantaloupe
Thanks for the reply! Your response gave me a more clear idea about my own application!
Because previous I concerned about the payment I get paid should be taxable or "employement income". Which is not the case for me, The university pay TAs 50% salary, 50%fellowships, so 50% of the TA amount shows on T4, however, for RA, 100% of the amount shows on T4A. Which lead to the fact that my 2013 tax return only mentioned the income on my T4, which is around $1,000. The major part of my income which is on my T4A get exempt and not reported for tax return.

From the information you and other guys provided here. It seems to me I concerned too much on this. And probably the CIC won't consider this as some rejecting point if one have a well-done reference letter from their professor:)

sebastianderp

Star Member
Aug 4, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-09-2014
Nomination.....
07-01-2015
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
23-02-2015
Med's Done....
03-03-2015
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
31-05-2015
Hi guys,

I have a quick question. Does one have to work for 52 weeks per year to be considered as continuous work? I just realized I put 48 working weeks (for consecutive 4 years) in my reference letter and was wondering if that will be a problem ???(although in the letter ''continuously accumulated hours'' was mentioned)?

Thanks a bunch for your inputs.

modelcitizen

Sep 18, 2014
Re: T4A and notice of assessment for RA in PhD stream

Fid0 said:
Hi again,

1-I think RA letter is the most important one as it fulfill the NOC requirements. I have submitted the TA letter just as complimentary.
2- Yes my RA salary was in both letters.
3- I did not provide any pay stubs and it is not necessary to do so nor for the T4s. I think they can have access to these as they are governmental department.
4- I submitted my application on Jan 2014 and received my Med request on Sep.

About explanation letter, you can do so if it is very critical and needed. My suggestion is not to increase the paper work or confuse the officer with unimportant stuff.
Hi Fid0

Thank you so much for your reply!

Good to hear that you've got the Med Exam request!

I think you are right, my previous concern was trying to expalin my RA payment is still considered "income" eventhough it is not taxable. But I guess I am probably over-thinking of it. I knew the fact that it is always a good idea to take the initiative to explain what may cause concerns or doubt to the officer. But to some point I guess it will also strat to confusing them if that was something they didnot pay too much attention to.

cantaloupe

Star Member
Jul 25, 2014
Ontario
sebastianderp said:
Hi guys,

I have a quick question. Does one have to work for 52 weeks per year to be considered as continuous work? I just realized I put 48 working weeks (for consecutive 4 years) in my reference letter and was wondering if that will be a problem ???(although in the letter ''continuously accumulated hours'' was mentioned)?

Thanks a bunch for your inputs.
Oh jeeeez....Don't worry they'll get what you mean!!

(only an "engineer" can approximate a year as 48 weeks; are you in engineering? lol :p)

sebastianderp

Star Member
Aug 4, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-09-2014
Nomination.....
07-01-2015
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
23-02-2015
Med's Done....
03-03-2015
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
31-05-2015
cantaloupe said:
Oh jeeeez....Don't worry they'll get what you mean!!

(only an "engineer" can approximate a year as 48 weeks; are you in engineering? lol :p)
Thank you cantaloupe for your reply. I know it's a not-so-smart mistake ><
Just wanna make sure it's not likely to cause problems.

-derp