+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

vivi

Jan 1, 2014
arian_arian said:
I did not receive any reply! I emailed my updated reference letter on August 18 and asked them for acknowledge! I have not sent another email!
Please let me know when you get a reply from CIC. Thanks.

gleb

Aug 5, 2012
Hi guys,

Just a follow up for my GCMS notes. I got 76 points in total but my own estimate was only 68-69 points, so i got more than i expected.
Where it happened:
1) Work experience.
I claimed 4 years of 20 hours per week RA experience hoping that it will be 2 years of full-time experience. I will just cite my notes: Years of experience 4. Points: 13.
Looks like they counted my years as full time. I don't know how it works but that's what I got.
2) Previous study.
They counted my all 4 years of doing PhD in Canada which is still in progress. Citing the notes: Previous study in Canada: 4. Points: 5.

Hope it helps.
All the best!

sia_kb8

Star Member
Feb 4, 2013
I need some advice from the members:

CIC has contacted my girlfriend and asked her to clarify one discrepancy in her forms: when she applied for her student visa 5 years ago back home, she had indicated to CIC that she worked for approx. one year in some company. However, in her current PR application she indicated that she was unemployed during the same time and that she was studying for her MSc entrance exam. This an excerpt from the CIC email:

We have information that indicates that you may have been employed previously. Please update the information in Schedule A, Q# 8, personal history, if this is the case and provide an explanation as to why this was omitted in your initial application. All periods of study and work since reaching the age of 18 must be reflected in Q#8 Personal history of Schedule A.

Here are my questions:

-She really was studying for the exam and was only working part-time in that company. She simply forgot to include the work part because her life was dominated by studying at the time. What type of explanation should she provide? Should she simply say that she forgot? What do you guys think?

-Does she need to provide a work experience letter as well? CIC did not ask for one and she does not need it point-wise at all.

-Is there a chance that they her application down because of this?

Thanks for your comments.

prapplicant13

Star Member
Mar 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2013
Doc's Request.
26/05/2014
Med's Request
27/05/2014
Med's Done....
06/06/2014
Passport Req..
08/01/2015
VISA ISSUED...
15/01/2015
LANDED..........
24/01/2015
At what stage did they ask her this question? I mean has she passed the eligibility? It might be related to background check. This might be so serious and critical how to answer and convince the officer. consulting with an immigration lawyer might help to provide the explanation.

sia_kb8 said:

CIC has contacted my girlfriend and asked her to clarify ........

sia_kb8

Star Member
Feb 4, 2013
prapplicant13 said:
At what stage did they ask her this question? I mean has she passed the eligibility? It might be related to background check. This might be so serious and critical how to answer and convince the officer. consulting with an immigration lawyer might help to provide the explanation.
I am not sure if she has passed eligibility. Her previous GCMS notes indicated it was not started yet. She has not received her medical request yet. She got this email when she expected to get her medical.

prapplicant13

Star Member
Mar 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2013
Doc's Request.
26/05/2014
Med's Request
27/05/2014
Med's Done....
06/06/2014
Passport Req..
08/01/2015
VISA ISSUED...
15/01/2015
LANDED..........
24/01/2015
I guess someone who had the same experience and have overcome the situation could help answer your questions the best way. If you didn't get a reasonable answer here that means this might be a rare situation. I am sure immigration lawyers have seen this case before and could help. If you are still in Canada you might be able to get free consultation with a lawyer in immigration centers on a specific day every week. If you live in Ottawa here is where I talked with a lawyer for free once to figure out how to address a problem with my application: http://www.cciottawa.ca/ you can find the same service in any city I guess. Good luck.

sia_kb8 said:
I am not sure if she has passed eligibility. Her previous GCMS notes indicated it was not started yet. She has not received her medical request yet. She got this email when she expected to get her medical.

PhdStream

Aug 7, 2013
sia_kb8 said:

CIC has contacted my girlfriend and asked her to clarify one discrepancy in her forms: when she applied for her student visa 5 years ago back home, she had indicated to CIC that she worked for approx. one year in some company. However, in her current PR application she indicated that she was unemployed during the same time and that she was studying for her MSc entrance exam. This an excerpt from the CIC email:

We have information that indicates that you may have been employed previously. Please update the information in Schedule A, Q# 8, personal history, if this is the case and provide an explanation as to why this was omitted in your initial application. All periods of study and work since reaching the age of 18 must be reflected in Q#8 Personal history of Schedule A.

Here are my questions:

-She really was studying for the exam and was only working part-time in that company. She simply forgot to include the work part because her life was dominated by studying at the time. What type of explanation should she provide? Should she simply say that she forgot? What do you guys think?

-Does she need to provide a work experience letter as well? CIC did not ask for one and she does not need it point-wise at all.

-Is there a chance that they her application down because of this?

Thanks for your comments.
I would not say that my case is just like yours but quite similar.

When I applied for Canadian VISA, i mentioned about a work (back from my home) and submitted an employment letter. However, the company has been closed since 2010, so during my PR application I mentioned about it and specified that it is not possible to get any kind of letter form them (as I don't have any) and I am not awarded point for that. So far I have not got any feedback from the CIC neither my GCMS note mentioned about it.

sia_kb8

Star Member
Feb 4, 2013
Thanks for your reply PhdStream.

I am not quite sure what the best course of action is. It's not like she was presenting work experience that did not exist to gain an advantage. It was the opposite, she made an honest mistake and forgot to include some old useless work experience that she had. I have a feeling the CIC officer is just trying to clear this up. Any one else?

Fly2014

Jun 30, 2014
Hello everyone,

I applied PR under PHD stream category and got my FN in early May 2014. Since then, I have not received any information from Ottawa Office. Does anybody know how many months the process in Ottawa take now?

Thanks,
Tom

sia_kb8

Star Member
Feb 4, 2013
Fly2014 said:
Hello everyone,

I applied PR under PHD stream category and got my FN in early May 2014. Since then, I have not received any information from Ottawa Office. Does anybody know how many months the process in Ottawa take now?

Thanks,
Tom
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag-ASbHOIF93dDlLNjAtR1k4eGNtZ0xhSzkzYnBrVmc#gid=0

This will give you an idea as to when you should expect further action.

Raylocke

Aug 3, 2013
Landing finished at Point Roberts tsawwassen Vancouver. 6 weeks later, I will get my PR card. So, my journey of immigration application finished now. Thank all the forum users to the PhD stream post.
Good luck to all the applicants!!!

aalm

Star Member
Jul 8, 2013
Congratulations!
Did they give any document that you are now a PR and can you use that document to apply for health card?

Raylocke said:
Landing finished at Point Roberts tsawwassen Vancouver. 6 weeks later, I will get my PR card. So, my journey of immigration application finished now. Thank all the forum users to the PhD stream post.
Good luck to all the applicants!!!

Raylocke

Aug 3, 2013
aalm said:
Congratulations!
Did they give any document that you are now a PR and can you use that document to apply for health card?
yes, and yes, health card and SIN card. Also cheaper tuition.