+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apartments in Vancouver

KKLLhello

Apr 5, 2019
Hey Everyone,
I am moving with my husband and toddler to Vancouver in February. I have Airbnb booked for a month so that we can quarantine as well as look for apartments. I can see a whole lot of listings but the documents they are asking for are not something we have(References, Credit history etc).
Would having a co-applicant help the situation?
We can also do post-dated checks until we build a credit history.

Basically, I am trying to understand how hard is it to get an apartment in the Vancouver area and if you have any tips to handle the potential obstacles.
Thank you.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do you know anyone (who can be your guarantor) in town or somewhere in Canada? Alternatively, you can search for people seeking to sublet their rented place and continue the existing lease.

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Hey Everyone,
I am moving with my husband and toddler to Vancouver in February. I have Airbnb booked for a month so that we can quarantine as well as look for apartments. I can see a whole lot of listings but the documents they are asking for are not something we have(References, Credit history etc).

Basically, I am trying to understand how hard is it to get an apartment in the Vancouver area and if you have any tips to handle the potential obstacles.
Thank you.
it's actually easier due to covid. i live in the west end and there's plenty of availability. a bank statement was enough for our first landlord though as we were still jobless and had just landed.
note that a lot of apartments aren't listed online and you'll have to walk the streets to catch the signs

cityfocus

Nov 16, 2019
Hey Everyone,

Thank you.
I'm in the same exact boat(also looking in Vancouver for February). I have the money to survive, but every landlord I talk to shuts down immediately when I say I have no job or credit yet.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm in the same exact boat(also looking in Vancouver for February). I have the money to survive, but every landlord I talk to shuts down immediately when I say I have no job or credit yet.
Perhaps you can try to offer sweets to the deal by offering up to 6 months rental in advance. I heard many people in your situation had done this and some landlords accepts.

However, from a landlord perspective, you probably is not ideal especially with the BC speculation tax. With no employment, it is pretty risky to accept you as tenant because you might not end up to be a BC tax resident.

Last edited:
Reactions: cityfocus

KKLLhello

Apr 5, 2019
Hello Everyone, Thanks for the replies. I have been talking to several landlords. Everyone I have encountered so far have not really been positive. I understand tir hesitation but I don't know how to work around. I have offered paying upfront to a couple of them. I will keep you all posted if something works out.

laxsun

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Hello Everyone, Thanks for the replies. I have been talking to several landlords. Everyone I have encountered so far have not really been positive. I understand tir hesitation but I don't know how to work around. I have offered paying upfront to a couple of them. I will keep you all posted if something works out.
It will be better to search apartments after landing here. Many landlords may not take seriously if contacted from outside Canada.