Feb 26 - Submitted March 03
AOR Received.
Feb 03
Med's Done....
Feb 12
Passport Req..
Aug 03
mcadam said:
Please where can I find the most reliable information on settling in Canada? I am so lost on the way forward after PPR. :mad: As a matter of fact, I have little clue on most things Canadian!
Where are you trying to settle? What exactly are you looking for? Place to live, job or something else

Reactions: Adanac11

mcadam

Star Member
Sep 6, 2015
manidhatt said:
Where are you trying to settle? What exactly are you looking for? Place to live, job or something else
I have no idea. I mean I answered Vancouver, BC in my eAPR but that was not based on any real research.

For now I would be looking to do the landing, stay for a couple of weeks and then return back. But who knows, maybe I'll make the permanent move sooner than later...

kalodighi

Mar 30, 2012
Canada
Visa Office......
VFS Bangladesh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 19 2012
Med's Request
March 28 2012
Med's Done....
March 29 2012
Interview........
Not required
VISA ISSUED...
April 18 2012
LANDED..........
April 30 2012
I have posted our passports to CPC-OTTAWA-PR today.

Here is our timeline

ITA: 2/Oct/15
Applied & AOR: 3/Nov/15
Schedule A req: 17/Nov/15
RFPRF: 4/Dec/15
Spouse Med Doc Missing..They Reqested & Submit: 4/March/16
Med: Passed- 24/March/16
PPR: 6/May/2016
Passport Sent: 7/May/206

AOR to PPR - 6 Months 3 Days

kalodighi

Mar 30, 2012
Canada
Visa Office......
VFS Bangladesh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 19 2012
Med's Request
March 28 2012
Med's Done....
March 29 2012
Interview........
Not required
VISA ISSUED...
April 18 2012
LANDED..........
April 30 2012
I am just curious, when we send our passport to CPC-OTTAWA, what else they do except stamping our passport? I mean what else is left to do? Anymore checking, screening etc?

ellia

Nov 12, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-10-2015
AOR Received.
22-11-2015
Med's Done....
23-11-2015
Passport Req..
16-05-2016
LANDED..........
04-07-2016
mcadam said:
Please where can I find the most reliable information on settling in Canada? I am so lost on the way forward after PPR. :mad: As a matter of fact, I have little clue on most things Canadian!
Well, there is the settlement section of this forum, though I think it's more suitable to get answers to the smaller, particular and immidiate questions you might have.
I believe every province has a website for newcomers with all kinds of settlement information, from how to get your first documents to statistics on employment market. This is a good place to start looking for the tactical information you might need.
As for the general strategy for your new life in Canada, I personally think that first you need to decide what you want it to be like regardless of the country you live in, whether you want to keep your current career, etc, and also get a feel of the country first, to understand how you can achieve those goals in Canada and where in particular it will be easier to do so. The latter is very hard to do when you're not there yet, obviously, so I would leave strategy for later and focus on the immidiate tactical goals like building basic infrastructure and social network for yourself and getting a source of income.

Though be prepared for all the information to be overwhelming if you haven't been studying Canada all this time, there is *a ton* of information, from official websites to blogs of other immigrants etc. First task would be to find some kind of compendium of the most important information to avoid drowning in all the subjective opinions and contradicting advice.

A good place to start is our favourite website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/residents/new_immigrants.asp
They have general information on the country and even checklists for what to do/expect during your first few weeks as a newcomer, and also I believe there was a checklist for things to do before you arrive. And they would be the most reliable source of information, of course.
Also try looking for a Canadian Orientation Abroad seminar in your area, it'll be very informative, especially if you haven't done a lot of research yet.
These two will provide you with the crucial information you'll need during your first few months.
Most importantly, check out the employment prospects in the sector you're planning to get your first job in - that goes without saying, and maybe some employment and industry statistics for the provinces, too, to better understand where to look for the kind of job you want.

There are also a couple things you could do to better understand and to fit into the society.
The first one is to start checking Canadian news regularly, national and regional for the province you're intending to go to - it's a way to start connecting your life to the life of your new country, and also that way you'll know what your future neighbours will be talking about. It could also give you information that will be crucial to your immidiate landing plans. I use the CBC News app and it's very good, allows you to save articles for later, too.
And another idea to get a crash-course on all things Canadian is to study the materials for the citizenship exam. You won't need it for a few more years, but that is the information that Canadians and the government thought is the most important for the new citizens to know, so it's a good place to start getting to know the country.
The IRCC website also has a "Discover Canada" ebook, specifically created for new immigrants, which explains how different aspects of life and government services work in the country, and has rather general, but still useful advice.

This is not an exhaustive list of options, of course, especially in the getting to know the society and adapting part, but just a few "points of entry", to give you a place to start.

wifiwifey

Star Member
Jul 13, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2015
Doc's Request.
22-03-2016
AOR Received.
04-11-2015
Med's Done....
27-10-2015
Passport Req..
04-05-2016
Is there anyone who is from Qatar or have the knowledge of the below mentioned confusion? Please suggest!

wifiwifey said:
Thank you for your response! I have already raised a CSE for VO change. I'm concerned whether I can send my wife's passport to another country while she is on a visit visa in Qatar.

mcadam

Star Member
Sep 6, 2015
ellia said:
Well, there is the settlement section of this forum, though I think it's more suitable to get answers to the smaller, particular and immidiate questions you might have.
I believe every province has a website for newcomers with all kinds of settlement information, from how to get your first documents to statistics on employment market. This is a good place to start looking for the tactical information you might need.
As for the general strategy for your new life in Canada, I personally think that first you need to decide what you want it to be like regardless of the country you live in, whether you want to keep your current career, etc, and also get a feel of the country first, to understand how you can achieve those goals in Canada and where in particular it will be easier to do so. The latter is very hard to do when you're not there yet, obviously, so I would leave strategy for later and focus on the immidiate tactical goals like building basic infrastructure and social network for yourself and getting a source of income.

Though be prepared for all the information to be overwhelming if you haven't been studying Canada all this time, there is *a ton* of information, from official websites to blogs of other immigrants etc. First task would be to find some kind of compendium of the most important information to avoid drowning in all the subjective opinions and contradicting advice.

A good place to start is our favourite website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/residents/new_immigrants.asp
They have general information on the country and even checklists for what to do/expect during your first few weeks as a newcomer, and also I believe there was a checklist for things to do before you arrive. And they would be the most reliable source of information, of course.
Also try looking for a Canadian Orientation Abroad seminar in your area, it'll be very informative, especially if you haven't done a lot of research yet.
These two will provide you with the crucial information you'll need during your first few months.
Most importantly, check out the employment prospects in the sector you're planning to get your first job in - that goes without saying, and maybe some employment and industry statistics for the provinces, too, to better understand where to look for the kind of job you want.

There are also a couple things you could do to better understand and to fit into the society.
The first one is to start checking Canadian news regularly, national and regional for the province you're intending to go to - it's a way to start connecting your life to the life of your new country, and also that way you'll know what your future neighbours will be talking about. It could also give you information that will be crucial to your immidiate landing plans. I use the CBC News app and it's very good, allows you to save articles for later, too.
And another idea to get a crash-course on all things Canadian is to study the materials for the citizenship exam. You won't need it for a few more years, but that is the information that Canadians and the government thought is the most important for the new citizens to know, so it's a good place to start getting to know the country.
The IRCC website also has a "Discover Canada" ebook, specifically created for new immigrants, which explains how different aspects of life and government services work in the country, and has rather general, but still useful advice.

This is not an exhaustive list of options, of course, especially in the getting to know the society and adapting part, but just a few "points of entry", to give you a place to start.
wOw many thanks for this indepth post ellia +1

Yes I have been reading forum posts on the settlement section, picked up a couple of things there.

For now I am mainly thinking of landing in Vancouver, so I have been to the BC website and going through the 'tons' of information for newcomers. Hoping I can find one of those Canadian Orientation Abroad seminar here in South Africa, but none so far. Since I will be only be looking to make a short landing (probably around July), my stay in Canada would be exploratory, to feel the vibes and of course do the needful - SIN, MSP, bank account. I contacted British Columbia Construction Association (BCCA), apparently they help setup newcomers to get work in the construction industry. Perhaps something really good would come out of that and I can make the permanent move sooner than later.

As exciting as this feels, ;D it is also totally overwhelming #BigSigh

Thanks again and best wishes...

jaamit

Star Member
Feb 14, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello all,

I am waiting for nomination from Ontario but yesterday I got this email from CIC.
"Your application has been updated. Please sign in to your MyCIC account and check your application status and messages for more information."

But there was no update in MyCIC account :( .

As people in this forum have got PRs just thought of checking significance of the email and whether I missed anything.

Another question:- The nomination notification will come to my email address?

Thanks
amit

Ultimate_One

Star Member
Sep 2, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
6-11-2015
AOR Received.
7-11-2015
Med's Done....
30-10-2015
Passport Req..
16-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
26-04-2016
Ok guys gave my landing today...

PP sent 17 April
PP received 2 May
Landing 8 May ...kindly update details in spreadsheet for future refrences...

Musikwala

Sep 14, 2014
Johannesburg, SA
Visa Office......
Pretoria, SA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-07-2015
Nomination.....
06-10-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2015
Med's Done....
10-11-2015
Passport Req..
14-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2016
jaamit said:
Hello all,

I am waiting for nomination from Ontario but yesterday I got this email from CIC.
"Your application has been updated. Please sign in to your MyCIC account and check your application status and messages for more information."

But there was no update in MyCIC account :( .

As people in this forum have got PRs just thought of checking significance of the email and whether I missed anything.

Another question:- The nomination notification will come to my email address?

Thanks
amit
Did you intend this for the OINP Nov thread? This is the main EE AOR thread.

Sometimes ghost emails with no real updates do unfortunately happen. Maybe an officer went thru your profile and you're closer to the nomination now. Be positive.

As for when your nomination happens, you will get an email stating that there is a new message in your MyCIC. Once you login, you will see your message with nomination and you have to accept it within a certain time frame (30 days I think).

ellia

Nov 12, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-10-2015
AOR Received.
22-11-2015
Med's Done....
23-11-2015
Passport Req..
16-05-2016
LANDED..........
04-07-2016
mcadam said:
wOw many thanks for this indepth post ellia +1

Yes I have been reading forum posts on the settlement section, picked up a couple of things there.

For now I am mainly thinking of landing in Vancouver, so I have been to the BC website and going through the 'tons' of information for newcomers. Hoping I can find one of those Canadian Orientation Abroad seminar here in South Africa, but none so far. Since I will be only be looking to make a short landing (probably around July), my stay in Canada would be exploratory, to feel the vibes and of course do the needful - SIN, MSP, bank account. I contacted British Columbia Construction Association (BCCA), apparently they help setup newcomers to get work in the construction industry. Perhaps something really good would come out of that and I can make the permanent move sooner than later.

As exciting as this feels, ;D it is also totally overwhelming #BigSigh

Thanks again and best wishes...
You're very welcome! Ah, setllement is just my favourite topic that I worry too much about, considering I don't even have my PPR yet :)
You seem to have made the first steps already! I sincerely hope you'll be successful :)
As for the COA seminars, according to their website ( http://www.coa-oce.ca/project-countries/ ), they do operate in South Africa, but they have permanent office only for refugees. For other streams they have mobile sessions from time to time. At least that's how I'm understanding that table. Maybe you could email them and ask about a possible future session.

Yesterday I've also found the Living in Canada tool: http://www.cic.gc.ca/lctvac/english/index
It's pretty general, but can still provide useful links.
Good luck!

Update: Oh, and also I found out Ontario does 'Orientation to Ontario' information sessions in the form of webinars for people intending to go there, maybe BC does, too.

mcadam

Star Member
Sep 6, 2015
ellia said:
You're very welcome! Ah, setllement is just my favourite topic that I worry too much about, considering I don't even have my PPR yet :)
You seem to have made the first steps already! I sincerely hope you'll be successful :)
As for the COA seminars, according to their website ( http://www.coa-oce.ca/project-countries/ ), they do operate in South Africa, but they have permanent office only for refugees. For other streams they have mobile sessions from time to time. At least that's how I'm understanding that table. Maybe you could email them and ask about a possible future session.

Yesterday I've also found the Living in Canada tool: http://www.cic.gc.ca/lctvac/english/index
It's pretty general, but can still provide useful links.
Good luck!

Update: Oh, and also I found out Ontario does 'Orientation to Ontario' information sessions in the form of webinars for people intending to go there, maybe BC does, too.
Good stuff!

Yeah I was able to find the organization - Planning for Canada, that offers COA in South Africa. At first I thought they only catered for refugees but then I found they do orientation for Economic and Family Class migrants. You will find it under registration here: http://www.coa-oce.ca/registration/ or direct link here: https://register.planningforcanada.ca/

So I have registered (they ask for quite a lot of information) and they offered me a spot on the online Group Orientation session taking place on Tuesday, June 7, 2016. I have confirmed attendance. So thanks for that...

That tool is quite useful with the breakdown of settlement plan into steps.

raj_bond

Star Member
Mar 7, 2016
wifiwifey said:
Is there anyone who is from Qatar or have the knowledge of the below mentioned confusion? Please suggest!
Ok, let me give an explanation of VO change request. Suppose your passport is from X country but you live in Y country. In this case, you can submit passport in Y country. Because you have already mentioned it in your application that you are living in Y country and added a PC of Y country. so in your case Y country VO change is OK. But your wife is in Y country for a visit. Shes does not have any record of living or PC of Y country in the application. Thus, it is always better and safe option to submit your wife's passport in X country.

But if your case is little bit complicated and your wife can't submit her passport in X country and wants to submit passport in Y country, then you need to make a VO change request. But decision depends on CIC.

I assume your wife is from BD also. In this case, you supposed to get an another email for your wife, I have got one like this. With the printed copy of this email, she can submit her passport in VFS office in BD. High Commission of Canada, Singapore is your wife's designated VO. They are already notified about your wife's passport acceptance.

Thanks
Raj

raj_bond

Star Member
Mar 7, 2016
rollingpunjab said:
Thank you sir for your inputs.

I guess for all Bangladesh nationals visa office is Singapore only. Check the mail sent to you, wherein they would have provided a link of VFS centres (Visa application centre) wherein you can submit your passport and pay for secure passport transmission services. They will send your passport to applicable embassy.

It is the same way for people from Nepal who submit their passports at Kathmandu (Nepal) VFS and then their passports are sent to New Delhi embassy for stamping.

Someone else please correct me if I am wrong.
You are absolutely right sir... +1 for you :)