+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone who is waiting for their SOWP?

Ashfak1996

Feb 3, 2021
Hi,

I am in Canada right now on a study permit and I applied for my spouse's SOWP on 31 August 2023 when the processing time was 8 weeks. It has been more than 8 weeks but there is no decision yet after her medical was passed on 22nd Sep and background check and review of eligibility started. Can anyone advise how much more will it take? Now, the processing time for this visa category shows 10 weeks.

So should I expect a firm decision before we hit 10 weeks on 9th Nov 2023?

Reactions: Tophele

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

I am in Canada right now on a study permit and I applied for my spouse's SOWP on 31 August 2023 when the processing time was 8 weeks. It has been more than 8 weeks but there is no decision yet after her medical was passed on 22nd Sep and background check and review of eligibility started. Can anyone advise how much more will it take? Now, the processing time for this visa category shows 10 weeks.

So should I expect a firm decision before we hit 10 weeks on 9th Nov 2023?
No one can tell you for certain how much longer it will take.

The posted processing time is just an estimate. Approximtely 20% of applications take longer than the posted processing time.

Also, the processing time is not locked in at the time you apply. Current processing times (in this case 10 weeks) apply to your application.

There is no firm date by which you are guaranteed to have a decision.

B@rsha

Dec 29, 2023
I applied SOWP on November 26 did biometric on nov 28. It has been more than a month and haven't got any update yet some people who applied before me got their visa approved under a month and some still haven't gotten any news even after 2 months. I don't know why is there such a difference in processing time. If anyone could tell me how long it'll take for the processing.

AJITPATIL3011

Oct 6, 2023
I applied for SOWP on November 26 and did biometrics on Nov 28. It has been more than a month and haven't gotten any update yet some people who applied before me got their visas approved in under a month and some still haven't gotten any news even after 2 months. I don't know why is there such a difference in processing time. If anyone could tell me how long it'll take for the processing?
In my case, I being the primary work permit holder from Canada, Applied SOWP for my wife outside Canada (India) on 31st January 2023, and It was approved on 10th March 2023 so almost in 35 days. Now my wife has gone back to India and I have again submitted a fresh SOWP application outside Canada for her on 20th Dec 2023. I am also waiting for the next updates as her Biometrics and Medicals were already completed in her previous application.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In my case, I being the primary work permit holder from Canada, Applied SOWP for my wife outside Canada (India) on 31st January 2023, and It was approved on 10th March 2023 so almost in 35 days. Now my wife has gone back to India and I have again submitted a fresh SOWP application outside Canada for her on 20th Dec 2023. I am also waiting for the next updates as her Biometrics and Medicals were already completed in her previous application.
That is extremely fast SOWP processing time. It is not uncommon to wait closer to 6 months. What type of WP do you have?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I applied SOWP on November 26 did biometric on nov 28. It has been more than a month and haven't got any update yet some people who applied before me got their visa approved under a month and some still haven't gotten any news even after 2 months. I don't know why is there such a difference in processing time. If anyone could tell me how long it'll take for the processing.
What is your status in Canada. For people on normal WP or study permits it often takes many months to get an SOWP. If you are going through family sponsorship then they can get an SOWP much faster.

tea_1984

Star Member
May 2, 2022
We applied for SOWP 3 Oct 2023 and have no updates yet. Our SOWP is related to our spouse sponsorship application.

Sarynumbra

Feb 18, 2024
SOWP filed on nov 24th, biometrics done nov 25th. Spouse is a masters international student. No updates yet. Dropping my comment here in case anyone on or before is in similar timeline.

sengh.ca

Feb 27, 2024
I applied for the SOWP on November 10th and my biometric information was updated on the portal on November 17th.
At the time of application, the portal indicated a processing time of 13 weeks. However, it now displays a processing time of 19 weeks. (Specific for INDIA)
Looks like mid-March is when we'll finally dance. Until then, it's me and the late-night call brigade:)

@Ashfak1996 : It is you who has applied the earliest, when the good news lands, be sure to light up our chat with your update
@tea_1984 : Ohhh looks like you were the earliest bird to submit your application! May I ask which country you applied from? I'm curious because processing times can vary by country.

tea_1984

Star Member
May 2, 2022
I applied for the SOWP on November 10th and my biometric information was updated on the portal on November 17th.
At the time of application, the portal indicated a processing time of 13 weeks. However, it now displays a processing time of 19 weeks. (Specific for INDIA)
Looks like mid-March is when we'll finally dance. Until then, it's me and the late-night call brigade:)

@Ashfak1996 : It is you who has applied the earliest, when the good news lands, be sure to light up our chat with your update
@tea_1984 : Ohhh looks like you were the earliest bird to submit your application! May I ask which country you applied from? I'm curious because processing times can vary by country.
I am Canadian, the SOWP is for my wife who is from the US but the sponsorship application is an in-Canada application, she has been here since we applied in 2022 for sponsorship--she has valid status, we have maintained a vaild visitor record for her.

19 weeks past 2 weeks ago for us.

Logeswari R N

Jan 24, 2024
Hi anybody here submitted the SOWP biometrics in December and received their PPR?? (I’m in Canada on closed work permit and have applied for my husband & son in India) Biometrics submitted on December 27th..

sengh.ca

Feb 27, 2024

tea_1984

Star Member
May 2, 2022
Just heard back from our MP. They say IRCC says the timeline doesn't apply in our case because it involves a restoration of status which makes no sense. My wife has been on a valid visitor record the entire time in Canada. So what status needs to be restored. Her current visitor record is valid until the end of this year.