+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone who applied for study permit in March/April/May?

utojamepark

Star Member
Apr 8, 2020
Just for clarification here, have you gotten any response (approve/reject/or still waiting) if you submitted you application AFTER the 18 March border closure?

From what I have heard, visa offices in some countries have been back to operation for weeks but I have yet to hear any successful cases. Perhaps they are unable to deliver the final decision when the border remains closed? I am hesitating whether it is a good time to submit my application now.

And what about for whose who applied their study permit in Jan/Feb and received their outcomes AFTER the 18 March border closure, did you get your permit or was it rejected?

Thanks in advanced

edit: just saw the IRCC website, all application are onhold till 30 Jun, does it mean not a single study permit/visa was issued in the past months worldwide?

IRCC: "If you’re not eligible to travel to Canada, don’t apply during the suspension of normal processing (until June 30, 2020)."
wait, if I am already in Canada, does it mean I am free to apply for study permit and possibly faster processing time due to less applications?

cheers

Last edited:

Yangz

Jun 9, 2020
i know some eapp applicants have received their study permit in apr. but not a single sds case so far.

Sandpiper4

Mar 14, 2020
Hello, I completed my application for study permit online on March 20. I got a couple emails right after I submitted it confirming that it had been received, but after that nothing. My program has moved all classes online until December, so it's not a huge deal, but definitely would like to get some feedback.

foxproenator

Jun 9, 2020
Hello, I completed my application for study permit online on March 20. I got a couple emails right after I submitted it confirming that it had been received, but after that nothing. My program has moved all classes online until December, so it's not a huge deal, but definitely would like to get some feedback.
Did you get your biometric letter?

hodari

Mar 28, 2018
Quebec
My sister's college told her a student permit was required to begin classes, even if the Fall semester would be 100% online. That's what I'm worried about at the moment, that she'd be forced to defer registration until the winter intake because of these processing delays.

Bbngeorge

Star Member
May 20, 2020
i know some eapp applicants have received their study permit in apr. but not a single sds case so far.
Don't worry bro, i applied under SDS...got passport request on may 19...they r processing... wait patiently...
My actual problem is when can i submit my passport for stamping...that does matters me most..iam clueless..

Reactions: Yangz and demme343

Sandpiper4

Mar 14, 2020
My sister's college told her a student permit was required to begin classes, even if the Fall semester would be 100% online. That's what I'm worried about at the moment, that she'd be forced to defer registration until the winter intake because of these processing delays.
That makes no sense to me, but institutions are not always sensible. Would you mind if I ask what school she plans on attending? I am dealing with UBC and I have not heard anything like that at all.

hodari

Mar 28, 2018
Quebec
That makes no sense to me, but institutions are not always sensible. Would you mind if I ask what school she plans on attending? I am dealing with UBC and I have not heard anything like that at all.
She plans on attending Algonquin College. The only justification I can think of is they want to avoid a situation where the student gets rejected for the student permit after already starting the program.
Distance learning was never previously an option for the program she's taking, so by the time covid restrictions are lifted she would be unable to continue studying without the study permit and being physically present in Canada.

Sandpiper4

Mar 14, 2020
She plans on attending Algonquin College. The only justification I can think of is they want to avoid a situation where the student gets rejected for the student permit after already starting the program.
Distance learning was never previously an option for the program she's taking, so by the time covid restrictions are lifted she would be unable to continue studying without the study permit and being physically present in Canada.
Ah, I see. In that case it sounds like they are actually trying to protect the student, which is good,. I have a similar issue, my program is traditionally in person only as it has a work / practicum component that I must be in country to complete. I guess I'm just hoping for the best, even though it is a bit of a gamble.

hodari

Mar 28, 2018
Quebec
I guess I'm just hoping for the best, even though it is a bit of a gamble.
Also, the time you spend studying remotely from outside Canada will be counted towards PGWP as long as you have a valid study permit.
If you're taking online classes before getting the permit, that time will not be considered.

Just something to keep in mind.

utojamepark

Star Member
Apr 8, 2020
Don't worry bro, i applied under SDS...got passport request on may 19...they r processing... wait patiently...
My actual problem is when can i submit my passport for stamping...that does matters me most..iam clueless..
do you mind sharing when and which country did you first submitted your application from? thanks

UAEng123

Jun 9, 2020
I am also attending UBC.
Ah, I see. In that case it sounds like they are actually trying to protect the student, which is good,. I have a similar issue, my program is traditionally in person only as it has a work / practicum component that I must be in country to complete. I guess I'm just hoping for the best, even though it is a bit of a gamble.
I am also attending UBC, however, my program will be suitable to start online only initially. However, a delayed visa compromises the duration of the PGWP. And since the visa is not guaranteed, it would be quite disappointing to start and then find out it was not approved. I am not entirely sure what would be the course of action in that circumstance. Still waiting and hoping for the best as well. Good luck!

Sandpiper4

Mar 14, 2020
Also, the time you spend studying remotely from outside Canada will be counted towards PGWP as long as you have a valid study permit.
If you're taking online classes before getting the permit, that time will not be considered.

Just something to keep in mind.
That honestly never occured to me, so thank you very much for mentioning it. My program does not begin until Sept so I still have a little time, but that is very important. If for some reason I don't have it by then I will likely ask for deferment. Really appeciate it.

Reactions: hodari