+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone Understand This Case?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/supreme-court-wont-hear-citizenship-case-of-ottawa-born-man/article28435213/

What do the courts mean when they say he could ask for Canadian Citizenship? On what grounds?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
While I do not have the citation handy, the underlying case has been reported in official decisions.

The facts are a bit complicated. The implications are actually very tangled since this individual (as I understand it) has only lived in Canada and never formally been recognized as having status in any other country.

But he is not a Canadian citizen. The reason is that a child born to parents in Canada pursuant to diplomatic presence in Canada is an exception to the statutory rule that a person born in Canada is automatically a Canadian citizen.

Why this case is complicated is that this individual's parents left their employment in diplomatic service (I think they were support staff, perhaps even household staff) around the time the individual was born, and there are conflicting accounts of what happened when, who had what status when, and so on. That is, there is an argument that when this individual was born, he was not subject to the exclusion for births to parents in Canada pursuant to diplomatic service. The court ruled against him. And now apparently the Supreme Court will not review the matter.

It was made more complicated (if my memory has this right) due to his having been issued a Canadian passport at some time. That, however, does not have much actual significance. Being issued a passport does not constitute being granted citizenship and is not an adjudication of status. So if he should not have been issued a passport, which is the government's position (again if my memory serves me right), the fact he was issued one is merely a mistake. Does not change his status.

Obviously this would never have become an issue but for the criminal charges.

It is also complicated in that just because he is subject to being issued a departure order due to lack of status, that does not mean he can be physically deported. I am not aware of the status of proceedings challenging physical deportation . . . remember, there are many people in Canada without status, subject to departure orders, but for various reasons (ranging from H&C to there being no safe country they can be sent to) cannot be physically deported. Many times legal proceedings about this linger for many, many years.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Thanks, but the courts seem to suggest there is a avenue open to him to ask for Canadian citizenship that he has not yet taken, but on what grounds? A personal appeal to the minister?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
links18 said:
Thanks, but the courts seem to suggest there is a avenue open to him to ask for Canadian citizenship that he has not yet taken, but on what grounds? A personal appeal to the minister?
As I previously noted, this is a complicated case, and some of the twists and turns are at the least perplexing, albeit for some of these there may be an explanation, like the fact that when this individual's parent became Canadian citizens he was not included in that process because they thought he already was a citizen . . . except that he had become a Permanent Resident with them when they became PRs.

In any event, much of it seems to be in the vein of a Catch-22, an impossible qualification, something which requires a person to have a status which in turn disqualifies that person -- this comes from the novel by Joseph Heller and a character who wanted to be relieved of duty during WW II because he was mentally incompetent, but to obtain designation as mentally incompetent he would have to ask for it, but anyone who asked for it was clearly not mentally incompetent -- or as stated in the novel, its catch-22. (Well, that's my rough explanation anyway, been decades since I read the novel or saw the movie based on it.)

A lot of weight is put on the fact that this individual never sought a declaration of citizenship from India. And not only are the decisions in part premised on that being an avenue which is open to him and should be pursued, but it is also posited as a prerequisite to any H&C discretionary application for citizenship (section 5.(4) in the Citizenship Act), and applying for such a discretionary grant is posited as another avenue not pursued.

In any event, the Federal Court decision dismissing this individual's application to be declared a citizen can be read here:
http://canlii.ca/t/gdq23

The Federal Court of Appeals decision denying the appeal of the Federal Court's decision can be read here:
http://canlii.ca/t/gjfcg

As I recall the latter goes into some detail about the supposed alternative avenues open to the individual, but perhaps both do (been a long while since I read the Federal Court's decision; the Court of Appeals decision was just last summer).

As I recall, the notorious Donald Rennie was among the three Federal Court of Appeals judges deciding this case. Donald Rennie is the Federal Court justice (promoted shortly afterward to Federal Court of Appeal, and a solid Harper man if ever there was one) who dismissed Galati's challenge to Bill C-24 and in doing so went way, way out of his way to decide issues that he ruled it would be inappropriate to decide (a reverse sort of Catch-22?), including that there is no birth right to citizenship in Canada. (In fact, he ruled there is no constitutional right to citizenship at all, that citizenship is purely a statutorily based status . . . which is why in my previous post I bolded "statutory" in referring to the "statutory rule that a person born in Canada is automatically a Canadian citizen.")

As a Federal Court Justice, and quite soon after being appointed, Rennie was the first to specifically rule that the only proper test for residency was physical presence, contradicting three decades of prior law, even though there had been no change in the law in the meantime. While not all the other justices who soon agreed were, like him, appointed under Harper's watch, most of those taking that hard line position were.

In any event, Deepan Budlakoti got himself into serious legal trouble young and is not in a good place for now. What Canada can do with him is not clear. India declined to issue a Travel Document. I am not sure that Canada can force this individual to even seek status in India. Without status in another country, there is no place to physically deport him. A real can of worms some might say.